FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Health Question

Author Topic: Health Question
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
Hey -

I very often leave my tea sitting in a ceramic sort of cup. I also brew it very strong.

I've noticed it has a bit of a "tang." Is there any possibility something is dissolving or whatever? Yes, it sounds crazy, but I'm neurotic...

Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
This is not a question so easily answered! A 'ceramic sort of cup' tells us little of the material or composition. It could be a pH-neutral rare-earth cup forged in carcinogen-free kiln fires, or it could have lead paints, or who knows!

If you can find its brand name, or show us a picture, I guess we might be able to help?

But honestly the most likely answer is 'yeah the cup is harmless man'

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Brewing it strong and leaving it sit is most likely the cause of the tang. The longer tea brews, the more bitter it becomes.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HollowEarth
Member # 2586

- posted      Profile for HollowEarth   Email HollowEarth         Edit/Delete Post 
The danger of any ceramic sold for containing food dissolving is pretty small. Unless you got it from china, in which case you will die of melamine poisoning next Tuesday.
Posts: 1621 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Or Mexico, in which case we're back to lead.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dabbler
Member # 6443

- posted      Profile for dabbler   Email dabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
Why don't you make the same tea under the same extended circumstances in a couple different cups and tell us if the tang is still there?
Posts: 1261 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Brewing it strong and leaving it sit is most likely the cause of the tang. The longer tea brews, the more bitter it becomes.
Agreed. Strong black tea can have a strong "tangy" undertaste that you will be able to taste more when the cup has cooled a little.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
The cup may be a part of it, but most likely it is the tannin. The longer the tea brews, the more tannin is present.

From an unverified but looks-well-written online source, BellaOnline:

quote:
The taste of tea is directly related to the brew time. The length of the brewing process produces how much tannin is in your cup. The tannin is responsible for the bitter taste in your mouth after you drink your tea. This produces that “puckery” sensation. Although it may feel “piquant” in your mouth after tasting strong tea, there are other benefits of tannins. Tannins are said to keep bad bacteria out of your mouth, and tannins help to impede dental cavities.
---

Added:
quote:
Originally posted by dabbler:
Why don't you make the same tea under the same extended circumstances in a couple different cups and tell us if the tang is still there?

Good idea.
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Lead tends to taste more sweet than tangy anyway.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks so much for the input, guys! I really feel a lot better now, and it makes sense that brewing it really strong is making the weird taste.

=)

Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
I've heard that it's not safe to eat or drink out of any porcelain or ceramics that aren't made in factories in the USA, England, or Japan. All those beautiful Italian and Portuguese jugs and bowls and things are suspect. This may be too strict. I'm not sure. But I just follow it just in case. I use the other stuff for display, and only eat out of things from those three countries. And not handmade things either. Only factory made.

Leaded crystal decanters are a bad idea too, even if made by Waterford or whomever. I drink out of pitchers not decanters. The crystal goblets are okay because the liquid doesn't stay in them very long, but actually I very rarely drink out of my crystal either. I don't like hand washing them and the heat of the dishwasher is death to heavy crystal. That's aside from the lead content. =)

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.