FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » God in heaven, iTunes 9 is way too white

Author Topic: God in heaven, iTunes 9 is way too white
Lalo
Member # 3772

- posted      Profile for Lalo   Email Lalo         Edit/Delete Post 
It's blinding me. Any ideas on how to give iTunes a black skin on a Mac?
Posts: 3293 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't own a Mac. [Wink]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lalo
Member # 3772

Too late [Big Grin] I'm in the cult now, this thing's awesome.
Posts: 3293 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DSH
Member # 741

- posted      Profile for DSH           Edit/Delete Post 
"It's blinding me."

"this thing's awesome."

[Confused]

Posts: 692 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
iTunes is blinding him, but his Mac is awesome...
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Badenov
Member # 12075

- posted      Profile for Badenov           Edit/Delete Post 
Racist. (come on, you were all thinking it)
Posts: 38 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lalo
Member # 3772

Yeah, as awesome as Macs are, Winamp runs circles around iTunes. Nothing beats this hardware/OS combo, though.

Also, if anyone else is having this problem, I found a way to hack the .rsrc file. It might just be easier to install iTunes 8 instead, but if anyone feels like doing it the hard way:

http://www.libertypages.com/clarktech/?p=813

Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lalo:
Yeah, as awesome as Macs are, Winamp runs circles around iTunes. Nothing beats this hardware/OS combo, though.

Well, itunes is the worst element of Mac OS and has been for some time. Unfortunately it's continuously billed as the prime selling point, even though it's a dog that somehow manages to actually get worse as time passes. The itunes store is pretty good, and the devices and podcasting stuff works fine, but it's a big clunky one-size fits all program that hasn't seen an improvement of any significance in many years.

That doesn't change my feelings about owning a mac, btw, because I found owning a PC to be far more onerous. Perhaps there just is no perfect solution.

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gruevy
Member # 12177

- posted      Profile for gruevy   Email gruevy         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't use itunes. It's crap. The only value is the itunes store, and they sell only unacceptably low quality rips. Use songbird. Fully customizable, freakin awesome. Works with your ipod.

getsongbird.net

Posts: 6 | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Spam reported.

Also, most of iTunes is available at 256 Kbps AAC, which is usually about equal to 320 Kbps MP3, and more than sufficient quality for most people.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lalo
Member # 3772

Russ, are you saying Gruevy's Songbird endorsement is spam? It's just an open-source alt to iTunes, no different from endorsing Firefox over IE.

That said though, I've tried Songbird and it's way too slow and unstable to replace iTunes. I'm hoping it'll improve over time, but I have to stick with iTunes for now.

fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Posts by new members full of marketing catchphrases ending with a URL do set off my spam trigger, yeah. I don't have a problem with suggesting songbird, I have a problem with spamming songbird, just as I'd have a problem with a new poster coming into a discussion about web browsers and saying

"Don't use IE. It's crap The only value is ubiquity, and the newer versions don't even have that. Use firefox. Lots of plugins, freakin awesome. Works with your website.

getfirefox.com"

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The White Whale
Member # 6594

- posted      Profile for The White Whale           Edit/Delete Post 
Winamp kicks butt.

Classic skin.

Minimized, and always on top.

At the top of my screen, maybe 15 pixels high, it's awesome.

Posts: 1711 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lalo
Member # 3772

Hmm, I just checked out Songbird again. It's GORGEOUS, and I can customize it with a Now Playing list just like Winamp.

I'm still leery of putting my music collection in it, though -- I've heard rumors about it corrupting music files, at least in earlier carnations. If Apple doesn't fix this stupid thing post-haste though, I might make the switch.

twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a big fan of the Genius insta-playlist functionality in iTunes, myself.

I'm not a huge fan of the shading changes in iTunes 9. I thought iTunes 8 looked pretty good, and was hoping to see the rest of OS X move toward a similar, slightly less lickable UI element style. Instead, iTunes 9 is different yet again, and I find the wide gradient in the toolbar quite unattractive.

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

- posted      Profile for Nick           Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with you Lalo, I can't stand the whiteness. I'm an iMac and iPhone owner and I always wonder, if they can make such cool things like that, why does iTunes have to suck?

Glad to see another Mac cult member. [Smile] They frickin rock.

Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.