FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » A feel good news story

Author Topic: A feel good news story
Traceria
Member # 11820

- posted      Profile for Traceria   Email Traceria         Edit/Delete Post 
Dad Catches Foul Ball at Phillies Game Only to Watch Daughter Throw it Back

[Big Grin]

Posts: 691 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
It was so cute it almost hurt. Loved it!
Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
Awww...
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
What I found cute was the father's reaction. He didn't get mad, he just hugged her.
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Just think--we're witness here to the birth of a family story that's going to get told to that girl's grandchildren.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Video of the event

I LOVE his reaction.

There's an interview with the dad here too

That looks like a really cool family. It was funny watching the mom crack up two seats over when she saw what the girl did.

Awesome story.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
That was so cute! He gave her a hug. I love nice fathers.
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
I would have looked at the girl and said, "That was so cute honey, now go get it back....now"
[Wink]

edit: At least I would if I really cared about baseball.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:
I would have looked at the girl and said, "That was so cute honey, now go get it back....now"
[Wink]

edit: At least I would if I really cared about baseball.

On the radio one of the hosts explained his own potential response:

"Aw, that's okay darling. And I'm sure your new foster parents will love you a lot." [Wink]

Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
That was really cute - but I'm more amazed that his reaction is considered that extraordinary. Even if you cared about baseball - it's a ball. And his daughter clearly thought she was supposed to throw it back. That's what you do when you get a ball that other people were playing with, you give it back to them so they can keep playing.

It's definitely cute as all heck, and heartwarming. But the fact that he hugged and kissed her after she did something harmless like that rather than yelling at her or something should not be extraordinary. It should be the norm.

Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
It SHOULD be indeed. But expecting that sort of emotional control in the moment, in a situation of fairly strong emotions, is not realistic in many cases.

The fact that this dad had that, and was so conscious of his daughter's reaction, is awesome. Good for him!

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Alcon:
That was really cute - but I'm more amazed that his reaction is considered that extraordinary. Even if you cared about baseball - it's a ball. And his daughter clearly thought she was supposed to throw it back. That's what you do when you get a ball that other people were playing with, you give it back to them so they can keep playing.

It's definitely cute as all heck, and heartwarming. But the fact that he hugged and kissed her after she did something harmless like that rather than yelling at her or something should not be extraordinary. It should be the norm.

Realistically, I admit that in that kind of situation, I might have gotten very briefly upset. Only for a second, because I wouldn't blame the kid for not knowing that I didn't want the ball thrown back. But I might have yelled "No!" and had a mad look on my face for a second. And then my kid would cry on TV.

(But then I'd hug and kiss my kid and do my best to undo my mistake.)

That the guy was able to contain himself pretty much completely is great.

Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.