FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Utahcon

Author Topic: Utahcon
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
I really like the sound that word makes when said aloud, especially if it's said youtuhcon. There aren't as many hatrackers in Utah as there used to be, but there are still a good handful. The last time I met up with any hatrackers in Utah was Jon Boy's house over a year ago. I figure it could be fun if we could find a way to organize an event for the Utah and it's neighboring environ hatrackers to attend.

It's only just starting to cool down so picnic season is nearly gone. I think some sort of barbecue with games could potentially be fun, but the activity is certainly up in the air based on interest.

If you'd be interested in attending such an event, post in this thread, if you have an idea of what sort of activity you'd find intriguing also post it here. Utahcon doesn't have to be anytime in the near near future, but I'd love to set aside a day to just enjoy each others company and shoot the breeze while enjoying food and entertainment.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't it about Billtmas season?
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:

Though I am unsure what that means, I'm going to go with no.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:

yes. (slightly past, even, I believe)
Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
googling that has been less than enlightening.
Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

BlackBlade, I'd like to attend a Utahcon, if I can. I don't have any really great ideas about venue or agenda, though.
Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by scifibum:
googling that has been less than enlightening.

That's because it's a Hatrack/Galactic Cactus-only word.

Edit: It started here.

[ September 23, 2009, 11:14 AM: Message edited by: rivka ]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
Billtmas was last Saturday, I believe, which was rare in that it actually fell on TLaP Day.

I should have a pina colada to celebrate.

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, I never thought of Billtmas as such an exclusive inside joke. I guess it has been around for a while.
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
BlackBlade has never celebrated Billtmas?! That's a tragedy. So when were you thinking of having this con? I'm fairly busy with school and family and whatnot, but I'm sure I could work something out.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Salient history is also here: http://www.hatrack.com/cgi-bin/ubbmain/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=026439;p=0&r=nfx
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

By the way, typical Billtmas festivities include drinking pina coladas (as sarcasticmuppet already noted), playing Settlers of Catan, and watching episodes of MST3K. There might be more that I'm forgetting.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Non-alcoholic pina coladas, it should be noted.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

I don't think that's a requirement, though. It's just a result of the fact that all the people present were Mormon.
rivka
Member # 4859

But Billtmas is a Mormon holiday!
scifibum
Member # 7625

I'll have to remember to have an alcoholic pina colada in honor of Billtmas. But I don't like pina coladas, so maybe I'll just have the rum that's missing from the Mormons' drinks.
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
If it isn't sacrilegious to hold Billtmas in late December, I will likely be visiting Utah at that time.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

I think Porter tried to celebrate Biltmas just prior to leaving for Oregon but I missed it.

Jon Boy: right now I was just floating the idea to see who is interested. If we play our cards right, you, Brinestone, scholarette, Rabbit, myself, and Tiffany makes a pretty decent crowd. It's likely MattP and company could feasibly make it as well.

I don't have any qualms with holding off until around December so Rabbit can attend.

---

For those interested do weekends or weekday evenings work better?

Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
Weekends are definitely better for us. Sarcasticmuppet is also in Utah, as are a couple people who are on Galactic Cactus but not Hatrack (Annie and sweetclementine).

Christmastime gets a little hectic because we travel then and because we have kids, so I'd prefer something in October or early November, I think. I don't really care what we do or where we do it.

Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
We had pina colada sorbet for Billtmas.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

Brinestone/Jon Boy: When do you plan on traveling come December?
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
Probably between Christmas and New Year's, I'm thinking.
Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't plan around me. I'm not sure when I will be in Utah and if its a short visit, seeing family will take priority over a Hatrack gathering.

If I'm in Utah for more than a day or two, I'd love to meet with you guys but my schedule isn't certain enough to ask you to plan around me.

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

- posted      Profile for SenojRetep   Email SenojRetep         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll be in Utah from Dec 18-Jan 5. I'd be somewhat interested in coming to a Con if it were held then, but the logistics might be a bit much (there are a lot of other family-oriented things on my schedule already).
Posts: 2926 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hank
Member # 8916

- posted      Profile for Hank   Email Hank         Edit/Delete Post 
I would have loved to come, but I will likely be leaving this part of the country in a few weeks.
Posts: 368 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.