FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Mouse in the house - a duct tape question

Author Topic: Mouse in the house - a duct tape question
Armoth
Member # 4752

- posted      Profile for Armoth   Email Armoth         Edit/Delete Post 
Dear friends,

I am in my first year in law school, the work is piling up, and the Jewish holidays are in full force, knocking off 4 weekends (Saturday/Sunday) in a row, (continuing for the next two weekends).

My life was rough before, but now - I have a mouse in my apartment. My desk is right next to my radiator - the radiator cover is kinda loose. The mouse came out, said hello, and when I said: "Oh my God. That is a mouse." - it nodded, and ran back from whence it came.

I since flipped the radiator cover upside down so that the grated part (hard to describe...) that is designed to let out heat is on the bottom of the floor. For those of you worried that heat can't get out now, the top still has a giant gaping hole. Let's hope I do not play host to spider-mouse.

So now, my radiator cover functions as a little mouse jail. My roommate informed me that the mouse could likely get in between the bars (by the way, the mouse was sooooo itty bitty, it was adorable), So here's the deal: I ducttaped the bottom half of the bars shut.

Is this a fire hazard? The duct tape is not on the radiator, but it is a couple of inches away - should I be worried about heat and flammability?

Thanks much

Posts: 1604 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know the answer to your question.

I do suspect that the mouse will still get out pretty easily. He's flexible, and he can climb and jump.

He's a guest for Succos! [Wink]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dobbie
Member # 3881

- posted      Profile for Dobbie           Edit/Delete Post 
You can even use this as a little mouse sukkah.
http://www.mousedepot.com/

Posts: 1794 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

That is NOT kosher schach.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Armoth
Member # 4752

Jump and Climb?!?!

They're UNSTOPPABLE!!!!

I think i'll get one of those mouse Sukkahs.

Posts: 1604 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

- posted      Profile for AchillesHeel   Email AchillesHeel         Edit/Delete Post 
You think climbing and jumping is all they can do? go rent the movie Willard, they can even inspire a rendition of Micheal Jacksons "Ben"

By my experience your average duct tape is not flammable unless set ablaze on purpose, and even then its not the greatest incendiary compound out there. But if your really that worried and want a mouse prison of tape, Im sure you can get fire-proof duct tape, but a glue board and some peanut butter can lure even the most unlikely animal.

Posts: 2302 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Armoth:
Jump and Climb?!?!

They're UNSTOPPABLE!!!!

Pretty much. [Razz]

Also, where there is one, there may be more.

quote:
I think i'll get one of those mouse Sukkahs.

I'd go with the cheaper standard mousetrap.
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't get a glue trap unless you are prepared to kill the mouse yourself.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

I'd say, don't get a glue trap, period. IMO, they are a tza'ar ba'alei chayim issue. I meant the kind that quickly snap their little necks.
kmbboots
Member # 8576

I would agree (now that I have looked that up). I used one without thinking it through and it was horrible. I had to whack the poor crying frightened thing over the head with a big spoon while I was sobbing how sorry I was.

It was at least ten years ago and I still feel bad about it.

Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Sorry. That was for Armoth's benefit. [Wink]

I wasn't even the one who whacked it, and in my case it's been over 15 years, and I still get ill thinking about it. But it's actually less the method of killing and more the fact that they get stuck for hours until you find them.

kmbboots
Member # 8576

I figured. [Wink]
Armoth
Member # 4752

Yeesh. Why can't my duct-tape prison just work?!
rivka
Member # 4859

Der mensch tracht und der Aibishter lacht. [Wink]
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
A mouse can get through any hole larger than a US 5cent coin. Basicly if you can fit the first knuckle joint of an index finger through a hole, a mouse can squeeze through it.

Cut a piece of 3/8ths-inch/1centimetre mesh steel hardware cloth to match the exterior edge of the radiator cover (ie large enough to overlap the hole that the cover fits over), then glue it to the cover. You might want to use a couple or three layers just to make sure that any mouse will give up before chewing through the mesh.
Do not use copper, aluminum, fiberglass, or similar meshes. A mouse can-and-will easily chew through them.
Use steel mesh only; the heavier the gauge, the better.

If you don't have the tools to cut steel wire to shape, it's best to buy the hardware cloth from the small neighborhood store. They usually will let you borrow the tools that they use for that purpose.
Make sure you bring the radiator cover with you into the store. The reason they have those tools to lend is cuz they use them on a regular basis; so it ain't likely that they're gonna let you take them back to your place.

Mice and rats are smart. Traps and bait poisons usually work only a couple of times before mice and rats figure out that it's best to avoid them.

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

So around their third life or so?
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
You joke, but when there's an entire breed of mice out there with huge, thick necks evolved to better eat your peanut butter, you can bet I'm giving them your address.
Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
All the above beats the suggestion I would have given: get a mongoose.
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Nighthawk:
All the above beats the suggestion I would have given: get a mongoose.

Armoth could also purchase a young boa or python. But then we're getting into, "She swallowed the spider to catch the fly..." territory.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Armoth
Member # 4752

I'm thinking of moving into my sukkah permanently.
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Great plan! You definitely won't get any critters out there.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
I'm thinking of moving into my sukkah permanently.

Well, one of the lessons of Succos is that we don't REALLY own anything, including our homes. The mouse is just helping.

Also, on the East Coast, permanently moving into one's succah is far less feasible than out here. [Wink]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.