FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Traveshamockery

Author Topic: Traveshamockery
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok Hatrack, don't fail me now.

I have been wracking my brain for weeks now as to the origins of this word. It had to have come from somewhere. My google-fu, normally strong, is weakened by this particular word. I can hear in my head voices saying, "It's a travesty!" "It's a sham!" "It's a mockery!" "It's a traveshamockery!" but I cannot for the life of me remember where I've heard it.

Maybe it was a dream. That's happened before. But I figure that before I give it up for lost I would ask the indefatigable Hatrack.

Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
My former roommate now co-worker has informed me that it is, in fact, from a Miller Lite commerical. The same one, incidentally, where "Burgleflickle", another of my favorite words, is from.

But if anyone has anything different to add, please do!

Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Definiton...the first google entry if you type the word into Chrome. [Big Grin]
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
Out of curiosity, Dr S, what did you type into Google?
Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
Frankly, I'm kinda annoyed at google for existing and reducing all conversations about "hey do you know the answer to this" with "dude, did you check google?" Part of the fun of figuring something out is actually asking around and connecting with people during the discovery process.
Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
If your 4 years at Hatrack have taught you nothing else, you should at least know how to use an internet search engine. I mean, you even spelled the word correctly!
Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Part of the fun of figuring something out is actually asking around and connecting with people during the discovery process.
If you want to talk about something, talk about it. If you just want to find an answer, look where answers are. Pre-Google, if I wanted to know the capital of Nepal, I wouldn't spend 2 weeks having conversations about it. I'd go look in an encyclopedia. [Razz]
Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
To each his own. Oftentimes, I don't have anything in particular to say about the capital of Nepal, but I'm bored and want to have a random conversation, and asking a question usually works fairly well to get a conversation started, and then it can go in any one of a number of directions (usually works better when you're asking a more complicated/interesting question than what the capital of a city is, though)

Edit: And I would note that "what the hell does Traveshamockery" mean is on the "more interesting than average" end of the question scale. If he hadn't asked here, I still would not have the slightest clue that the phrase existed let alone what it meant, so I for one am greatful it was asked.

Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sean Monahan
Member # 9334

- posted      Profile for Sean Monahan   Email Sean Monahan         Edit/Delete Post 
The capital of a city? [Smile]
Posts: 1080 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sean Monahan:
The capital of a city? [Smile]

Well yeah, the capital of Chicago is "C". Duh?
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The White Whale
Member # 6594

- posted      Profile for The White Whale           Edit/Delete Post 
Ray, then you must hate:

Let Me Google That For You

Posts: 1711 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

I do know about that and have used it myself on occasion. I'm not sure where I draw the line between "question that makes for good conversation" and "using other people as your encyclopedia because you're lazy, and too stupid to notice that posting the question on a forum is more work" but this post was entertaining enough that it clearly lies in the former category for me.
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
I made it into urban dictionary a few months ago.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
I just looked you up. Oh dear. Now I will never be able to watch that movie again.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

Raymond, you make a good point. The only reason I asked was that the OP mentioned that he had tried google and it hadn't worked, so I was curious about what search terms were used. I suspected it was an overly specific query such as 'origin of traveshamockery'.
Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by kmbboots:
I just looked you up. Oh dear. Now I will never be able to watch that movie again.

O_O

*does not look*

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

quote:
Raymond, you make a good point. The only reason I asked was that the OP mentioned that he had tried google and it hadn't worked, so I was curious about what search terms were used. I suspected it was an overly specific query such as 'origin of traveshamockery'.
Ah, right then. I'm reminded of a famous thread on a different forum, wherein somewhat was looking for the comic "xlcd" and somehow had forgotten the url and asked for help after a "exhaustive search." Obviously he was looking for xkcd. What was particularly funny is if you search for xlcd, the very first thing to come up is the xkcd comic. (Someone in the thread imagined a hypothetical "Man, what's this xkcd @#$@%? All I want is to read some friggin XLCD!!!!!!!!"
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

Yeah, I was stupid and typed in "Traveshamockery origin" because I was sure it was from a movie. Simply typing in "traveshamockery" is indeed much more successful.

But see, now we have a discussion about the role of search engines and forums in modern life as well as a fascinating tidbit about JT in the urban dictionary!

scifibum
Member # 7625

quote:
Yeah, I was stupid and typed in "Traveshamockery origin"
Actually, I don't think this is stupid. Typing in a single word query is often a way to ensure that you have pages and pages of worthless results to wade through before anything relevant turns up. Obviously in this case the extra qualifier didn't help, but I almost never start a Google effort with a single word. The trick is finding the right qualifiers, and I've been stymied too many times to think that you were deficient here. Thanks for satisfying my curiosity about what you searched for. Personally, I think I'll try to remember next time I'm getting stuck to go ahead and try the most general query I can think of (although I don't know how that will work if I'm trying to decrypt an error message).

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.