FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Can stale bread hurt you?

Author Topic: Can stale bread hurt you?
Traceria
Member # 11820

- posted      Profile for Traceria   Email Traceria         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm tired and I wanna know.

The specifics: Melba toast, by consumption, unknown date of package opening, rubber band holding bag closed dry-rotted

Can it harm me?
-and-
Could it hurt you?

Discuss.

Posts: 691 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Highly unlikely.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd eat it. Unless there's visible mold growing on a bread product, I'm in the "eat it" camp.

That being said, I have reason to suspect my stomach is tougher than others'. For instance, I've never been sick when visiting India, which is relatively uncommon for foreigners.

I'm also in the five second rule camp, except in high traffic public areas.

Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sean Monahan
Member # 9334

- posted      Profile for Sean Monahan   Email Sean Monahan         Edit/Delete Post 
I have learned the hard way that if I ever have to ask myself the question, "Should I eat this?" the answer is no.

Although that doesn't answer your question.

Posts: 1080 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattP
Member # 10495

- posted      Profile for MattP   Email MattP         Edit/Delete Post 
You could grind it down to a point and stab yourself with it. That would hurt.
Posts: 3275 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
This is what expendable children are for.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

- posted      Profile for AchillesHeel   Email AchillesHeel         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, there are these things called croutons that people eat every day, and its just stale bread. I have no idea what melba toast is, but I would ask wether or not you have the cash to go get something else, being poor makes the stomach strong.
Posts: 2302 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by MattP:
You could grind it down to a point and stab yourself with it. That would hurt.

Although cleverly hidden, there was a clause in the OP that limited the question to consumption of the toast.

Your scenario is still valid, as long as the stabbing is part of the consumption. A roof of the mouth stabbing, perhaps. Or an esophageal stabbing.

Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Traceria
Member # 11820

I was more wondering because I discovered the box (bag being inside) here at my desk and ate two pieces. The first tasted like a normal sort of stale and the second tasted... weird. Stopped there.

Melba toast would make an excellent weapon (one use only) if you were to do as you suggested, MattP.

(edit for clarity)

Posts: 691 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
I've cut myself on stale bread before. So, the answer is yes.

But I think if you eat it, you'll be fine.

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
You'll either be completely fine, or you'll die. Let's find out!
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BandoCommando
Member # 7746

- posted      Profile for BandoCommando           Edit/Delete Post 
There's no in-between for you, Orincoro? How black and white you see the world...
[Wink]

Posts: 1099 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
Stale bread's fine unless it has any signs of mold, or if it tastes funny. Never eat anything that tastes weird or unlike its usual taste.

If it has any signs of mold, throw the whole thing away. Don't just cut off the moldy places and eat the rest. Visible mold means there are millions of spots too small to see throughout the rest of the package, loaf, or box.

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I have to agree with everyone who's said "If it tastes funny/unexpected, don't eat any more of it."

Then again, I enjoy woefully undercooked steaks of various kinds, so perhaps I'm also in the camp of people whose stomachs are pretty strong?

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aiua
Member # 7825

- posted      Profile for aiua   Email aiua         Edit/Delete Post 
I generally throw on other ingredients and condiments to mask the weird flavor and hope stomach acid takes care of the rest. Worked for me so far, still alive and kicking. [Big Grin]
Posts: 1215 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Traceria
Member # 11820

The offending odd tasting melba toast has been disposed of. [bows]
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a hard time imagining how melba toast could go bad.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
This fall, on FOX!
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.