FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Caffeine withdrawal (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Caffeine withdrawal
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
Also, about celiac disease, a week ago I happened to get out this breadmaker that my mom handed down to me when she got tired of it. I've been baking bread almost every day this week, and eating it several times a day, unlike my usual habit. Usually I eat almost no bread at all, but I've noticed the last few days that my gut is having an unhappy reaction to something. Verrrry suggestive. I'm definitely going on the gluten-free diet for several months to see if it makes me feel better. I have so many different auto-immune disorders and tend to get irritable bowel off and on. It sounds like this is worth a try. Anything that makes me feel better is worth the trouble! There's also a chance that fixing the one thing could help a lot with some of the other auto-immune reactions I'm having. That would be wonderful!

Apparently there is a sort of "mortar" between the cells of the intestinal lining that makes them stick together and be impermeable so that large molecules can't get from the gut into the bloodstream. In Celiac disease the immune system attacks that mortar and makes it open up. Then the immune system is in full contact with intact proteins from food (usually they're broken into individual amino acids before they reach the bloodstream), and that causes more inflammation. Removing gluten from the diet apparently will stop the inflammation that attacks the "mortar" and so the gut can heal and not be leaky anymore. It sounds like a good thing to try.

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

- posted      Profile for Ron Lambert   Email Ron Lambert         Edit/Delete Post 
Medical authorities say that Celiac disease is under-diagnosed. Many cases are at first thought to be irritable bowel syndrome.
Posts: 3742 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
Take it back about the tapering going well. Right after I posted that, I got this huge evil killer headache. Took more Excedrin and after about six hours it got better. I guess I need to taper more slowly.
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.