FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Riddle me this...

Author Topic: Riddle me this...
Armoth
Member # 4752

- posted      Profile for Armoth   Email Armoth         Edit/Delete Post 
A friend of mine has this as his status on gchat:

"An athlete of both foot and base, coupled with ursa who cares of fate. With source of heat of which to feed but fell from the beginning, the start of steed...whoever figures out this riddle gets a hundred bucks...p.s. i made it up so you wont find the answer online"

I don't know if this will throw you off, but I know that he is involved in Psychology or the Medical field. It didn't help ME at all, but then again, I didn't get the right answer.

I kinda want to see if people went where I went with this, so I'm not going to post my initial thought process yet (even thought it is wrong).

Have fun riddling!

Posts: 1604 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
I've got a guess based on the first sentence, but the second is stumping me.
Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
Kyle Williams is a 2-sport athlete for Arizona State. His father is former Major League Baseball outfielder Kenny Williams from Berkeley, CA who played football for Stanford and was on the field for "The Play" in the 1982 Cal-Stanford game.
Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Armoth
Member # 4752

How does that fit in with the second sentence Frisco?
Posts: 1604 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

Dunno, maybe his wife went to Cal...he was from Berkeley, and Cal are the Golden Bears.
Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

I'm thinking Bo Jackson or Deion Sanders. Also thinking Bears, Cubs, Colts, Broncos, Heat, and Sun. I can't find a connection yet. Oh, it will be figured out.
Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

Matt Mauck played for the Cubs and the Broncos. Getting closer?
Armoth
Member # 4752

Okay. So apparently, the answer to the riddle is a phrase. (Dunno if it is a known phrase, or if it not a one-word answer)
Frisco
Member # 3765

Well, I started at "the start of steed" because it seemed most out of place, pointed me in the direction of college teams. (St.)

Combined with "With source of heat" (sun) and "fell from the beginning" (devil) I went towards the Arizona State Sun Devils and combined that with 2-sport athletes.

Kyle Williams and Kenny Williams are both 2-sport athletes.

Kenny is the GM of the Chicago White Sox, and Chicago is home to both the Bears and Cubs. And he's from Berkeley, CA home to the Cal Golden Bears.

Might not be right, but it's the best I can do with my rusty Google-Fu. [Razz]

Frisco
Member # 3765

Bo Jackson went into business in Scottsdale, Arizona with Valerie Marie LittleChief of the Kiowa tribe and formed N'Genuity Enterprises.

About the Kiowa from Wikipedia:

quote:
The word "Kiowa" originated after their migration through what the Kiowa refer to as "The Mountains of the Kiowa." This location is in the present eastern edge of Glacier National Park, Montana, just below the Canadian border. The mountain pass they came through was populated heavily by grizzly bear and Blackfoot people. The Blackfoot word for "grizzly bear" is "Kgyi-yo." Kgyi-yo was corrupted in English as the root translation for the word Kiow-a. Today, Kiowa, Montana is located on the very spot where ancient Kiowa passed through the mountains during their southward migration.

Armoth
Member # 4752

I initially went with constellations. The Athlete is Orion, Ursa is the dipper, and the steed is Pegasus. The fall heat which fell led me to Vega which is the center of all constellations, and is considered to be a second sun. I think Vega in arabic means to fall or something.

I was wrong.

vonk
Member # 9027

"An athlete of both foot and base" seems the most obvious. A dual sport player. But is that an intentional mislead?
Armoth
Member # 4752

Athlete's base also refers to athletes foot on the bottom...
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
It could also possibly be "ball" or "baller."

I have no idea what "ursa who cares of fate" might be, if not Fate Bear.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MEC
Member # 2968

- posted      Profile for MEC   Email MEC         Edit/Delete Post 
Am I the only one who thinks it's a refurbished Care Bear and My Little Pony heat lamp?
Posts: 2489 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
MEC, that's exactly what I was thinking.
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

So we never got an answer. Time's running short, any ideas?
hawser
Member # 13415

- posted      Profile for hawser           Edit/Delete Post 
Dang, I can't figure it out. I'm so bad at riddles! :<
Posts: 116 | Registered: Jul 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.