FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Ok, maybe The Aristocrats is too obscure a reference (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Ok, maybe The Aristocrats is too obscure a reference
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Nighthawk:
Maybe it's me, but I fail to see how an event such as this, regardless of whether it was real or a hoax, would serve to "better market themselves".

They really wanted their "psychic detectives" reality tv show and wanted to get the publicity necessary to spark a base of interest in it. This could have worked, easily, had it not been such an apparently flimsy lie.

Plus, they're crazy. Rationally reasoning what would have better marketed themselves may have been completely irrelevant to their thought process.

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
By DAN ELLIOTT, Associated Press Writer Dan Elliott, Associated Press Writer – 27 mins ago...Documents show that a media outlet has agreed to pay money to the Heenes with regards to the balloon incident, Alderden said. He didn't name the media outlet, but said it was a show that blurs "the line between entertainment and news." It wasn't clear whether the deal was signed before or after the alleged hoax, or whether that media outlet was a possible conspirator.

Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
It's difficult to imagine a business with juicy, sue-able assets would sign such a deal.

ETA: Or rather, that they would do so ahead of time.

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
Sign?
Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

- posted      Profile for Rappin' Ronnie Reagan   Email Rappin' Ronnie Reagan         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's pretty funny that commentators on CNN were criticizing the family for appearing in interviews on... CNN. It's pretty hypocritical to criticize something that you helped create, CNN people.
Posts: 1658 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Rappin' Ronnie Reagan:
I think it's pretty funny that commentators on CNN were criticizing the family for appearing in interviews on... CNN. It's pretty hypocritical to criticize something that you helped create, CNN people.

I don't follow. CNN invited the family over to discuss the incident in good faith that the news of the ordeal would be broadcast to the world. Upon finding out that the incident was a hoax the news analyst are certainly justified in haranguing the family for attempting to use CNN to spread lies.

It was in part thanks to CNN that the truth is becoming revealed as it appears the sheriffs dept indicated that as part of their investigation they did not hint about false motives, and that subsequent testing and TV appearances have confirmed their suspicions.

As an analogy if bars owners become proactively engaged in discouraging drunk driving, I would not say that that was hypocritical.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
Best coverage so far (IMO, of course):

Weekly World News - Balloon Boy Hoax

quote:
DENVER, CO – Richard Heene has admitted the balloon fiasco was a hoax; his child is really an alien they were trying to send home.

Richard Heene has since come forward saying this was an attempt to get his alien child back home that went spiraling out of control. Richard and his wife say that young Falcon fell to earth a little over a year ago. They found him in a small crater in their back yard in his natural alien form, which resembles a large mollusk. Richard was halfway to the taxidermist when the creature finally woke up and spoke.

Falcon’s real parents are political exiles barred from entering Earth’s atmosphere. Since losing their child they have been in geosynchronous orbit over Colorado and in good contact with the Heene parents. Falcon has helped Richard with his career in storm chasing, since Richard only has a high school diploma and never really understood the science behind what he was doing.

I am grateful "the world's most reliable news source" still maintains an online presence to offer a dose of objective and rational reporting at a time like this. [Smile]
Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been waiting to get the real story here!
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
It makes as much sense as any other motive that's been suggested.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

- posted      Profile for Rappin' Ronnie Reagan   Email Rappin' Ronnie Reagan         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:
quote:
Originally posted by Rappin' Ronnie Reagan:

I don't follow. CNN invited the family over to discuss the incident in good faith that the news of the ordeal would be broadcast to the world. Upon finding out that the incident was a hoax the news analyst are certainly justified in haranguing the family for attempting to use CNN to spread lies.

That's not what they were doing, though. They were saying they thought it was wrong for anyone in that situation to appear on national television after the event.
Posts: 1658 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I heard the guy criticizing the family for doing interviews in that situation. I think he was ad libbing, mad about the hoaxiness, and probably didn't think too hard about what he was saying.
Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
ahahahahaha

these people just keep getting better and better

http://gayrights.change.org/blog/view/the_anti-gay_twist_of_the_balloon_boy_saga

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
At this point I think I should change the name of this thread. Any suggestions?
Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
The Heene Family Reality Show
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Falcon is a Flying Rat.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought this was a great line:

quote:
And yet, while one infamous set of parents could face criminal charges for pretending their son was in a balloon, other parents think nothing of keeping their kids in a bubble.
link
Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.