FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I don't like the new look of CNN.com

Author Topic: I don't like the new look of CNN.com
brojack17
Member # 9189

- posted      Profile for brojack17   Email brojack17         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't like how they toggle between headline stories. It looks like MSN and that is why I don't go to MSN.
Posts: 1766 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vadon
Member # 4561

- posted      Profile for Vadon           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with you. They're also throwing nonsense in the center column. Wouldn't it make more sense to have the biggest column on the website be devoted to... y'know, news?

I really dislike how tiny and 'hidden' the headlines are.

Posts: 1831 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
CNN has been desperately trying to keep its viewer demographics from aging, which is why you see so many of its personalities going 'what do you think! twitter me, on my twitter! I'm hip like you cats! cowabunga!'

Too bad younger and progressive audiences both predominantly ignore cable news networks (fun fact: this is why fox news network dominates both them and MSNBC) and their online analogues. The new strategy appears to be an attempt to rebrand their website as an infotainment junction.

It is an attempt to allure itself to a market whose median age isn't 65 or over.

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geraine
Member # 9913

- posted      Profile for Geraine   Email Geraine         Edit/Delete Post 
I also do not like the new CNN website. It seems too bulky to me. I liked the old site that had the main headline to the left and then the other stories to the right. Granted, it did look a lot like the Fox News page, but it worked.

As for the demographic of Fox News, the last time a poll of Foxnews watchers was performed, 25% of the viewership that watched Fox News on a daily basis was democrats. So while some of MSNBC and CNN's potential viewership simply do not watch, it seems Fox News has quite a few people watching them instead.

Posts: 1937 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not a fan of it either. I really liked the old version. I thought it was much more user friendly than the fox news site, now it is just as clunky.

At lest there is still google news.

Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
I preferred the previous version as well, this new look is not very aesthetically pleasing or efficient. The top stories should be the most prominent feature with everything else following, instead it just looks like part of the red mess.

Also I wish CNN had some decent editorials.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
CNN, Yahoo! and Facebook have all changed looks recently, and all for the worse.

Can't leave well enough alone.

Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fusiachi
Member # 7376

- posted      Profile for Fusiachi   Email Fusiachi         Edit/Delete Post 
CNN.com is dead to me.
Posts: 433 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
The Facebook changes are needlessly confusing, and the CNN changes makes the page needlessly cluttered.

Google generally has the right of it - simplicity, ease of use, the information you want large and the first thing you see on the page.

Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Of course, it's easier to design for simplicity when the only thing you want to see is a large, empty text box.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I dislike the new CNN layout as well.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I didn't mean simply Google's launch page.

Google News, Google Maps, etc, etc... plus their results pages. They are very simple, and don't seem cluttered or unwieldy to me.

Of coure, ymmv.

Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Personally I'm a huge fan of the newspapers for news. Especially over the bloody 24 hour cable networks. The New York Times and the Wall Street Journal both have excellent websites. Also NPR is excellent if I have the time to listen. And when I want exceedingly well written prose opinions, the New Yorker rarely disappoints. Although occasionally it does go so far out into playing lingual games that I think the point goes over my head.

Also the BBC is excellent for world news, although you do occasionally find some odd items there.

Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
The Financial Times. Best newspaper in the world.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Alcon: You basically summed up absolutely every opinion regarding every media form I pay attention to exactly as I feel. It was awesome.

I'd put The Washington Post up there if you want something that is just a titch more to the center than the NYTs.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Also the BBC is excellent for world news, although you do occasionally find some odd items there.
Yes, but it's genuinely interesting/amusing rather than sort of low-down interesting.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.