FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Video Game Music

Author Topic: Video Game Music
Clive Candy
Member # 11977

- posted      Profile for Clive Candy           Edit/Delete Post 
Remember those Donkey Kong Country games for the SNES? They had some good music.

Here's an example.

Here's another. This one was accused of copying Antartica by Vangelis.

[ November 04, 2009, 06:35 AM: Message edited by: Clive Candy ]

Posts: 532 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
My son's goal in life, and truly the only reason he continues to take piano, is to one day compose music for video games.

That has nothing to do with your topic, I just felt like sharing. [Smile]

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
I used to download midis in high school like crazy. I just loved Nobuo Uematsu or Yasunori Mitsuda. I still listen to alot of music from video games, it's a fantastic genre. Donkey Kong Country definitely had some catchy tunes on it.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vadon
Member # 4561

- posted      Profile for Vadon           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to use this as a quick plug for The Protomen. A band that made a rock opera out of Mega Man. It's not for everyone, but I love it.
Posts: 1831 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Black Pearl
Member # 11788

- posted      Profile for The Black Pearl   Email The Black Pearl         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0sm_08Wc0o

These guys remix videogame music, and this is the best song ever.

Posts: 1407 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I went over to my brother's today to play his new PS3 and was amazed by the soundtrack. I can't remember what the game was, some military game, but I stopped playing for stretches just to listen.

We've come a long way since the Tetris theme.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
First video game music I remember really impressing me was The Ninja Warriors' "Daddy Mulk". There was good music before, but it was the first time I heard something in a video game that sounded like soundtrack.
Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fitz
Member # 4803

- posted      Profile for Fitz   Email Fitz         Edit/Delete Post 
Was it Valkyria Chronicles, Lyrhawn? Kind of a cell-shaded, turn-based RPG?

Final Fantasy 6 has been my favorite video game soundtrack since the first time I played the game. Megaman 2 also has fantastic music. I don't really listen to video game music outside of the games though. It's wonderful in the context of the game, and it's good music regardless, but I haven't had a video game soundtrack hold my interest for very long outside of a game setting.

Posts: 1855 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by umberhulk:

Pretty cool song, but I'd put this one up against it any day of the week. It starts out so powerful, goes into a brief contemplative section, builds, builds, builds, explodes, leads you to believe it's wrapping up, blows up one more time, and leaves you breathless.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
I went over to my brother's today to play his new PS3 and was amazed by the soundtrack. I can't remember what the game was, some military game, but I stopped playing for stretches just to listen.

We've come a long way since the Tetris theme.

Uncharted 2 on PS3 was scored to fantastic effect by Greg Edmonson, who scored Joss Whedon's Firefly. Not really a military game, but it's a shooter.

Added: My absolute favourite, though, is Cohen's Masterpiece from the BioShock soundtrack.

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
My son's goal in life, and truly the only reason he continues to take piano, is to one day compose music for video games.
Hehe, take that Moms everywhere! Don't want me to play video games, want me to practice piano? I'll show YOU!

----

Not saying that this is the dynamic you're working with Belle, this is just what I thought of at the time, hehe.

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Black Pearl
Member # 11788

- posted      Profile for The Black Pearl   Email The Black Pearl         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:
quote:

Pretty cool song, but I'd put this one up against it any day of the week. It starts out so powerful, goes into a brief contemplative section, builds, builds, builds, explodes, leads you to believe it's wrapping up, blows up one more time, and leaves you breathless.
Nice. I need to play Final Fantasy Vl

Some other stuff I got.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XAA64XK1Gc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVMlUqU9eXY&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ujr1iwO9_I&feature=related

and ofcourse
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aha5Vcshz2c&feature=PlayList&p=5F7475241DDE3CD7&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=1

Posts: 1407 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clive Candy
Member # 11977

- posted      Profile for Clive Candy           Edit/Delete Post 
For you FF VI fans, there was a piece of music from the game that would play whenever something BIG was about to happen. My brother and I used to call it the "break out theme." Anyone know what the piece is actually called?

And I do agree that FFVI has the best soundtrack of any game of all time. So many great and memorable tunes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TzPDsBNtsw&feature=related

Posts: 532 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Falalan! [/Really obscure game-music in-joke]
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
C3PO the Dragon Slayer
Member # 10416

- posted      Profile for C3PO the Dragon Slayer           Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZs2egRnqB8&feature=related

When I first heard this I thought the world had ended. It has become a sort of running gag to pretend to imitate the vocals in this track.

Posts: 1029 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:
quote:

I wonder if they'll get around to doing a full Final Fantasy VI remix album over at OC Remix. They already have decent ones for IV and VII.

While we're on the subject of remixes, I really like this piano arrangement of a Chrono Trigger song.

Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

- posted      Profile for Flaming Toad on a Stick   Email Flaming Toad on a Stick         Edit/Delete Post 
Number one
Number two

I r Nerd.

Posts: 1594 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
I love the Chrono Cross soundtrack! I listen to it all the time.

Final Fantasy has great music. I really like some of the WoW music (I was commenting to my husband just the other day how much I like the Hellfire Peninsula song). We've got a really nice orchestral version of Zelda stuff too.

Heck, for Christmas, my husband wants several albums of game music (the Oneups, etc.)

Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Godric
Member # 4587

- posted      Profile for Godric   Email Godric         Edit/Delete Post 
The Neverhood Soundtrack
Posts: 1295 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Black Pearl
Member # 11788

The Chrono Trigger soundtrack is so awesome. One of my favorite games.
The Black Pearl
Member # 11788

quote:
Originally posted by Flaming Toad on a Stick:
Number one
Number two

I r Nerd.

Sometimes I sing the tv show theme songs to ammuse, annoy, or bewilder people. And my cousing has recording of me singing this on his cell phone: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLnYeIADVhM
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the music from Halo 3 is outstanding. It's got this Aaron Copelandy feel to it, very American, and it makes my hair stand on end. I'm totally bowled away by some of the music on video games that I've heard. And I'm not even a gamer.

I agree that the music on DKC2 was fantastic too, especially given what they had to work with in those days.

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Belle:

That has nothing to do with your topic, I just felt like sharing. [Smile]

A close friend from college went into video game music production- she was obsessed with it. She even applied for internships in Japan and Korea to go and work at software development companies. Great composer too.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
I gave it some more thought and came up with a few more games, along with a snippet from each.

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fitz
Member # 4803

- posted      Profile for Fitz   Email Fitz         Edit/Delete Post 
I really like this song from Mass Effect. It's a great example of how music can contribute to the mood of a game.
Posts: 1855 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Fitz:
I really like this song from Mass Effect. It's a great example of how music can contribute to the mood of a game.

ding ding ding ding ding ding

yo everybody

fitz speaks the truth.

i don't care if you've never played mass effect before, you should listen to the sound file as a very useful example of spot-on expert use of music as a mood and environmental tool.

The file is NORMANDY02, the music that plays for you for the vast majority of the game when you are the XO (and shortly afterwards, commanding officer) onboard your very important, very high-tech ship. It is a perfect mood setter.

Seriously, there are very few people who have played Mass Effect and will not, upon hearing that music, go "yeah, having the normandy rocked so hard."

More bonus points for the Mass Effect Galaxy Map ambience

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
Ace Combat - The Demons of Razgriz is a theme that shows up in several incarnations, but it's hard to pick a a single version from the series. Zero is probably my favorite -- same song, with the Spanish guitar. I also really liked Ending, and The Round Table.

quote:
# Shadow of the Colossus: To the Ancient Land. A game with almost no dialogue, SotC relies heavily on its brilliant score to make its point.
My favorite from SotC is A Despair Filled Farewell. Do you know if Trico has the same composer? I saw that the trailers were using a track from some movie.

--j_k edited this post as he remembered more music

[ November 07, 2009, 05:45 PM: Message edited by: James Tiberius Kirk ]

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Mike   Email Mike         Edit/Delete Post 
A while back someone here linked to the flash game Samorost from Amanita Design, which I enjoyed quite a bit. (I looked, but the thread has since fallen off the end.) Well, those folks came out with a new game a couple weeks ago. It is brilliant, polished, and beautiful. I highly, highly recommend it to anyone who even remotely enjoys puzzles of any kind.

It is called Machinarium.

It has a great soundtrack, too.

Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Black Pearl
Member # 11788

Yeah, I need to play that. I havwe a huge backlog, though.
Emreecheek
Member # 12082

- posted      Profile for Emreecheek           Edit/Delete Post 
My lifetime goal in life is to end up composing music for video games. I've been getting really excited as it seems more and more a possiblity the longer I continue in my music major. [Big Grin]

Totally unrelated, I know. I just thought you guys might appreciate how excited I am, as opposed to some friends of mine who don't know how doggone cool it would be to compose video game music)

Posts: 196 | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
This is sorta an old topic, but I recently played the video games Bioshock and Bioshock 2 for xBox 360 (I'm late to getting an xBox 360, but I'm making good progress catching up on major franchises). I really loved the music during the game; unlike in some games with music which is just there, the music in the game really contributes to the mood and setting of the game. I recently acquired the soundtracks for both to listen to individually of the games, and I'm finding they're just as effective and enjoyable to listen to separately as many of the better film scores to which I've listened.

I was wondering if any other of Hatrack's video game crowd had game soundtracks which they felt also worked outside of the game and are enjoyable to listen to in general.

Edit:

If I would've actually read all the previous posts instead of just browsing before posting, I would've noticed someone above already mentioned the Bioshock games as a good example. That's my mistake. [Smile]

Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

- posted      Profile for AchillesHeel   Email AchillesHeel         Edit/Delete Post 
I miss Clive, he made it easy but enjoyable to spot trolling.
Posts: 2302 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

I was unaware of any reputation the original poster may have had.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
London Philharmonic Plays Greatest Video Game Music

In particular, Angry Birds is surprisingly catchy.

Final Fantasy VII, Uncharted and Grand Theft Auto were all great, GTA especially so.

Bioshock is on there too, as well as some classics like Zelda, Mario Brothers and Tetris.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

I found Bioshock to be a really amazing series just all around.
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

Yasunori Mitsuda's soundtrack for Chrono Cross takes a tiny bit of time to grow on you. But it has aged extremely well. I still can't believe it was written for a PS1 game. Production was just soooo great.

The soundtracks for Diablo 1 / Diablo 2 / and Torchlight by Matt Uelmen (in fact everything by him is awesome) are fun to listen to.

If you are into orchestra, Nobuo Uematsu has been covered to death, but there's lots of great work there. It has also been rockified if you listen to his band The Black Mages' covers of his work.

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

Both Quake 1 and Quake 2 have fantastic soundtracks too. Quake 1 was done by Trent Reznor of Nine Inch Nails fame.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.