FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » V new and Old

Author Topic: V new and Old
aeolusdallas
Member # 11455

- posted      Profile for aeolusdallas   Email aeolusdallas         Edit/Delete Post 
Well I just rewatched the original V miniseries I had not seen it in over 20 years. I had forgotten just how good the original miniseries was. Sure the second miniseries and particularly the series were cheesy 80's TV but that original one was a lot smarter than I had remembered. Then again I was just a kid last time I saw it so quite a bit of it went over my head back then.

I am quite exited by the remake tonight. I hope it lives up to the reviews. I am going to have fun matching the characters from the old and the new. Clearly the FBI agents son will be the analogue to David Bernstein the Brownshirt from the original and Anna is the remakes Diane or John. Scott Wolf is the female reporter from the original. Any other guesses so far?

Posts: 305 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I never saw the original, but it's looking good so far! I'm really interested to see where this goes.

SPOILER

That end was crazy. They killed Alan Tudyk! Argh!

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
Or did they?
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Well he's in the credits as being through the first two episodes, and I guess they can just regrow his skin or heal him or whatever, so he's still around. But damn, I was hoping to see him be her partner in the resistance.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
Well he's in the credits as being through the first two episodes, and I guess they can just regrow his skin or heal him or whatever, so he's still around. But damn, I was hoping to see him be her partner in the resistance.

He's also shown in the scenes for next week, and something makes me think they can't be killed that easily. I also hope he's more than a character for a few episodes.
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aeolusdallas
Member # 11455

- posted      Profile for aeolusdallas   Email aeolusdallas         Edit/Delete Post 
I am impressed so far. They covers a lot of plot points from the original mini series in the first hour but left a bunch of things to flesh out.
Posts: 305 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aeolusdallas
Member # 11455

Okay so far from the original to the remake we have.
Clearly the FBI agent's son is a combination of Bernstein the Brownshirt and The girl who has the lizard baby with the Visitor youth leader.
Anna is the remake Diane or John.
Scott Wolf is the female reporter from the original.
The Business lizard is either Martin or Willie from the original

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
It gets my thumbs up. I haven't been interested in any new TV series since season one of Heroes...
Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked it a lot.
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

- posted      Profile for Jay   Email Jay         Edit/Delete Post 
One thing I never get with V.

Why do they want to eat people? We’re as big as they are. We’d choke them on the way down. If they want live stuff to eat, why not other animals on the planet. Work out a trade deal for rodent farmers.

See my confusion? Yes, I know it’s a show and I like it. Just never got that part even the first time around.

Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aeolusdallas
Member # 11455

I always assumed they just chopped us up and ate us raw. In V the final battle when they thought Danny the brownshirt betrayed them they had a big guy with a bloody apron drag him off to his doom.
Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

- posted      Profile for Ron Lambert   Email Ron Lambert         Edit/Delete Post 
Uh, Jay, cows are bigger than we are too. Folks still eat steaks and burgers.

I discovered I had not seen V The Final Battle before, so it was new to me. I think the original series must have bored me away. That was decades ago.

SPOILERS:

What I disliked about V The Final Battle was the way it ended--with the little hybrid girl apparently doing magic to save the day. It made no sense at all. This was supposed to be science fiction, not fantasy. I also thought it was too easy for the resistance to keep rescuing its leaders after they had been captured. And the really bad aim of everyone in the gunfights was truly absurd. I did enjoy the thuggish "good guy" played by Michael Ironsides. He is always such a sinister, sneering trip! But the way he and the hero bonded after their knock-down, drag-out fight, was pretty cliché-ish.

Posts: 3742 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

- posted      Profile for Ron Lambert   Email Ron Lambert         Edit/Delete Post 
It is said that the nuttiness of the ending of the original version of V The Final Battle is what made a sequel impossible. Perhaps this new series will fix that, and allow a sequel to continue on beyond the initial victory over the Visitors.
Posts: 3742 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aeolusdallas
Member # 11455

I have never met anyone who likes the "star child" nonsense. The original mini series was definitely better. The holocaust survivor teaching the kids the V symbol and the parents afraid that their son was going to turn them in to the gestapo were really powerful scenes.
Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

And you know, they did not have to go the "star child" route. They could have just had the little girl overhear the password, and give it to the resistance fighters, because she resented the Visitors killing the priest, who was kind to her.
aeolusdallas
Member # 11455

I know. I cannot understand why they made her all super powered. It was so unnecessary.
Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

Maybe it was a special kind of "hybrid vigor."

I wonder, would the Visitors have considered the little girl edible, since she is part human?

If someone crossed a human with a cow, would you eat the offspring?

aeolusdallas
Member # 11455

I would say no, don't eat it. It seems......impolite
Jay
Member # 5786

- posted      Profile for Jay   Email Jay         Edit/Delete Post 
Uh, Ron, last time I checked we don’t eat them whole and live. If you can do that I have a circus act that I’d like to book you for.

So with your theory cows would work for them. See the confusion?

Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

Jay, you are the one who seemed to imply that the Visitors ate humans whole. No one else thought that. I know snakes can swallow frogs whole (I've seen them do it), because their jaws can become unhinged, but that is not true of all reptiles. And none of the Visitors seemed to have big bulges in their middles.

Now, eating humans LIVE, if piecemeal, is something they might well have done, in keeping with the story (and the nature of reptiles).

Hedwig
Member # 2315

- posted      Profile for Hedwig           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ron Lambert:
Maybe it was a special kind of "hybrid vigor."

I wonder, would the Visitors have considered the little girl edible, since she is part human?

If someone crossed a human with a cow, would you eat the offspring?

Don't have a cow-man.
Posts: 127 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
Didn't see the new "V" yet, but did see the old one when it was running a few days ago.

Dear lord... I don't remember it being that campy.

Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0Megabyte
Member # 8624

- posted      Profile for 0Megabyte   Email 0Megabyte         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw a really scathing review in the New York Times yesterday... they pretty much panned it as unrealistic in its portrayal of humanity's response, as well as not utilizing the idea to it's fullest extent.

The reviewer was also bored by the characters, who he or she thought uninteresting.

Still, entertaining review. This series looks interesting.

Posts: 1577 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

Hedwig: "Cowabunga!" That's quoting Chief Thunderthud from the Howdy Doody Show, not Bart Simpson. Bet there's not many folks here old enough to remember Howdy Doody. I loved the show when I was five.
aeolusdallas
Member # 11455

quote:
Originally posted by Nighthawk:
Didn't see the new "V" yet, but did see the old one when it was running a few days ago.

Dear lord... I don't remember it being that campy.

People keep saying this but the first mini series wasn't really campy. The following mini series and series were though.
TheGrimace
Member # 9178

- posted      Profile for TheGrimace   Email TheGrimace         Edit/Delete Post 
/haven't seen the original yet (DVR-d it though).

I think the new one has some potential, but the first episode seemed rushed. They could easily have spread that out over a few episodes and included some better character development. Heck if you wanted you could probably done a whole season trying to find out if they're really good guys...

Posts: 1038 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

Since the viewing audience already knows the Visitors are not really good guys, it would be insulting everyone's intelligence and a big turn-off to pretend to any kind of prolonged suspense.

I would like to see if the writers can come up with any better motive for the Visitors than their apparent appetite for human flesh. That seems like a pretty paltry reason to cross light years and practice prolonged covert operations and a deviously subtle invasion with city-sized spaceships. And don't give us that nonsense about needing water--there is plenty of water elsewhere in our own solar system (ice comets and the like).

Dogbreath
Member # 11879

- posted      Profile for Dogbreath           Edit/Delete Post 
Why would they go through all this trouble just to eat folks? I mean, I can understand the desire for a certain tasty kind of meat, but in that case, why not just discreetly abduct a couple thousand people and start your own people farm? Why bother with all the deception and politics and whatnot?
Posts: 2222 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

Exactly.

You could have an entirely different kind of story about the people farm, when the rest of humanity finds out about it.

Or they could just clone human tissue and grow it in vats, never even becoming people. Hmm--why don't we do that now with beef, poultry, and the like?

Dogbreath
Member # 11879

- posted      Profile for Dogbreath           Edit/Delete Post 
Many a circulating urban legend says we already do.
Posts: 2222 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vwiggin
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for vwiggin   Email vwiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I would like to see if the writers can come up with any better motive for the Visitors than their apparent appetite for human flesh.
Apparently it is to force universal healthcare down our throats.
Posts: 1592 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

No one would mind universal health care. It is the fascist centralized government control that most people object to.
dabbler
Member # 6443

- posted      Profile for dabbler   Email dabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't remember much of the mini series since I was really young when it aired, and I've only seen the pilot of the new series so far. But maybe the Visitors enjoy the intrigue. It's part game and part food.
Posts: 1261 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J-Put
Member # 11752

- posted      Profile for J-Put           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Exactly.

You could have an entirely different kind of story about the people farm, when the rest of humanity finds out about it.

Or they could just clone human tissue and grow it in vats, never even becoming people. Hmm--why don't we do that now with beef, poultry, and the like?

We do. The FDA passed something a while back so that cloned foods wont even have to be labeled differently. You've probably already eaten some of it.
Posts: 49 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Not quite. You've eaten meat from cloned animals. You have not -- unless you're very special -- eaten meat from vat-grown tissue. The latter will be a major transformation of the industry, as soon as they figure out how to do marbling and tissue differentiation.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J-Put
Member # 11752

- posted      Profile for J-Put           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
Not quite. You've eaten meat from cloned animals. You have not -- unless you're very special -- eaten meat from vat-grown tissue. The latter will be a major transformation of the industry, as soon as they figure out how to do marbling and tissue differentiation.

Ya, I wasn't paying attention to what was being said. Of course I doubt that method is more than a few years off from being the norm.
Posts: 49 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LargeTuna
Member # 10512

- posted      Profile for LargeTuna   Email LargeTuna         Edit/Delete Post 
spoilers from episode 3

nooooooo! i had a huge argument with my friend that juliette's i mean ummm the main woman's kid wasn't important and now all of a sudden they make it clear that he's really important to Anna. this just frustrates me because it was so predictable yet unlikely to any cohesive story that its maddening to me. i still like tbe show but this is going to frustrate me. if he's half v (i dont think they'll go that direction but it feels like they are setting it up) i might flip at how predictable the sons part of the story is. i did like the twist with the double agent v doctor. hope the show survives, i think i'm enjoying it more than flashforward.
-LT

Posts: 856 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by J-Put:
quote:
Exactly.

We do. The FDA passed something a while back so that cloned foods wont even have to be labeled differently. You've probably already eaten some of it.
No, we don't. It's very cost prohibitive as of right now. linky
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
Not quite. You've eaten meat from cloned animals.

How do you know?
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.