FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Best Post-Apcalyptic Movies

Author Topic: Best Post-Apcalyptic Movies
Geraine
Member # 9913

- posted      Profile for Geraine   Email Geraine         Edit/Delete Post 
I read "The Road" and plan on seeing the movie when it comes out this month. I also recently saw a trailer for "The Book of Eli" that looks interesting.

I am interested in the post-apocalyptic genre and I was wondering what other Hatracker's have enjoyed.

I prefer movies that make you think or deal with certain social issues, and not the whole "Zombies are here omg PH34R THEM!" crap that keeps coming out.

I've seen many of movies that have been released recently, such as I Am Legend, The Matrix series, as well as ones a little older such as The Postman, the Mad Max Series, and 12 Monkeys.

So what are your favorite post apocalyptic movies? What social issues do they deal with, and what did you think of the way the movie protrayed them?

Posts: 1937 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
The Day After I think is the best one I've seen. Nuclear war is such a horrible thing to behold, and yet still remains a very real possibility. I haven't seen any other post-nuclear fiction that depicts it quite so well.
Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
It may have zombies, but I've always been fond of "28 Days Later." I liked the twist where they aren't technically zombies but rather an amplification of human rage and destruction. Its basically a movie in which humanity rips itself to pieces while a few survivors try to find the balance that will help keep them alive.
Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
Movies:
The Stand
The Day After
On the Beach

T.V.:
Survivors (BBC)
Jericho

I know there are a million others, but I am at work and my list is at home.

Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkKnight
Member # 7536

- posted      Profile for DarkKnight   Email DarkKnight         Edit/Delete Post 
Does Shaun of the Dead count?
Posts: 1918 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholarette
Member # 11540

- posted      Profile for scholarette           Edit/Delete Post 
Waterworld! Wait, were we supposed to list good movies?
Posts: 2223 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
Not movies, but I did enjoy Jeremiah and Harsh Realm.

Jeremiah was a JMS show depicting a society where all the adults had died due to a virus. No real monsters, just humans handling all the story lines. It was actually pretty good but only went for two seasons (so the arc was a bit abrupt).

Harsh Realm was a Chris Carter show with stylistic and plot elements borrowed from the X-Files. That depicted a computer simulation of a US, collapsed after a terrorist nuclear attack. It wasn't terribly great, but the concept was awesome. It went one season.

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkKnight
Member # 7536

- posted      Profile for DarkKnight   Email DarkKnight         Edit/Delete Post 
They did ask about movies we enjoyed...I don't think anyone enjoyed Waterworld
Posts: 1918 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Godric
Member # 4587

- posted      Profile for Godric   Email Godric         Edit/Delete Post 
Six String Samurai
Tank Girl
A Boy and His Dog
Escape from New York & Escape from L.A.
Hardware
The Quiet Earth
Delicatessen
Children of Men
WALL-E

...and Repo! The Genetic Opera looks interesting, but I haven't seen it yet.

Posts: 1295 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shanna
Member # 7900

Watch it already. "Repo" should get kudos for sheer out-there-ness. And Sarah Brightman.
Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 8594

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked The Stand

I'm not hugely fond of post-apocalyptic stories. They tend to be poorly done. The Road annoyed me (as a book) and I'm reluctant to see it as a movie.

Posts: 2392 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
Would you count Soylent Green and Planet of the Apes (the original)?
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Darth_Mauve
Member # 4709

- posted      Profile for Darth_Mauve   Email Darth_Mauve         Edit/Delete Post 
This reminds me, its time to reread "A Canticle for Leibowitz"

Check out about 1/3 of all Anime that does not involve giant tentacle monsters.

Posts: 1941 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
I was going to mention Soylent Green, but wasn't sure it fit the bill. I would also second 28 Days Later because it is the human element that really gets you in that movie, how they handle being some of the last people in Britian.
Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shanna
Member # 7900

I think the original "Planet of the Apes" would count and I feel ashamed for not thinking of it first.

*goes to pop in the dvd*

The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I was going to mention Soylent Green, but wasn't sure it fit the bill.
I guess it depends on whether Geraine meant by post Apocalyptic. Sometimes the term is used in a very narrow sense to refer to future scenarios that occur after a major, human caused catastrophe (like nuclear war). But the term also gets used to refer to a broader spectrum of dystopic future scenarios.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geraine
Member # 9913

- posted      Profile for Geraine   Email Geraine         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Rabbit:
quote:
I was going to mention Soylent Green, but wasn't sure it fit the bill.
I guess it depends on whether Geraine meant by post Apocalyptic. Sometimes the term is used in a very narrow sense to refer to future scenarios that occur after a major, human caused catastrophe (like nuclear war). But the term also gets used to refer to a broader spectrum of dystopic future scenarios.
By post-apocalyptic I didn't just mean post-disaster type movies. What I meant was the end of life or WAY of life as we know it. Soylent Green would certainly count. I consider V for Vendetta a post-apocalyptic movie in some ways due to this.

Planet of the Apes was another that I have seen but hadn't thought of. I watched it when I was a kid, I need to watch it again since I would probably get a whole lot more out of it now that I am a lot older.

Posts: 1937 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
A Boy and his Dog

Children of Men

Six String Samurai

Mad Max series

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.