FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Help with poetry corner

Author Topic: Help with poetry corner
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
Where I work, a university research lab for structural engineering, I’ve started up a little poetry corner. Just putting a little cultural exposure out there, but I want some help picking poems. So far I’ve done:

A Refusal to Mourn the Death
A Supermarket in California
Annabelle Lee
The Four Quartets: Little Gidding
The Hand that Signed the Paper
The Palace
The Second Coming
When We Two Parted

I’m trying to fulfill a rather tough to meet set of requirements: short enough to fit on one page (essential), enjoyable for those not familiar with poetry as there’s no point exposing people to poetry in a way that entrenches their mindset of poetry=dull, and variety between poems. I switch poems about once a week and with that time coming up again I’m not sure what poem to pick. I figured Hatrack would be both helpful, and would enjoy the chance to discuss some poetry so … suggestions?

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Kipling.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

I like Kipling too, in fact I've already had one Kipling (The Palace), not that this means there can't be another. [Cool] Any specific suggestions?

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Annabelle Lee
One of my favorite Poe poems.

How about Curiosity, by Alistair Reed?

Or Invictus, by William Ernest Henley

Or some Frivel and Schleck?

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
How about Thomas Hardy; "The Man He Killed" has a wide appeal.

I also love "Morning Song from Senlin" by Conrad Aiken.

Almost anything from "A Shropshire Lad" by A.E. Housman. I suggest "When I was One and Twenty" or "With Rue My Heart is Laden". They're short, sweet, and perfect. Another one I love by Housman is "Along the Field As We Came By". I'm quoting first lines because he typically didn't give his poems titles.

Another great one from Housman, "White in the Moon the Long Road Lies". That one is great fun to say while walking. "My feet upon the moonlit dust pursue the ceaseless way." I can hear feet squeaking in the dust on that line, my favorite.

[ November 05, 2009, 08:41 AM: Message edited by: Tatiana ]

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

Robert Frost's "Fire and Ice" is another good one.

Definitely do some Ogden Nash. I'm fond of "Portrait of the Artist as a Prematurely Old Man" but there are dozens of delightful ones quite aside from his animal poems that get such wide exposure.

Wilfred Owen if you don't mind using poems that are heartbreakingly sad sometimes. A lot of poems are that. "Dulce et Decorem Est" is probably his most famous.

If we're talking about war poets, don't forget Keith Douglas who was killed in the invasion of Normandy. I love "John Anderson" by him. Again pretty sad stuff, though. Maybe you want to keep it more upbeat and jolly, I don't know.

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

Given that you chose Annabelle Lee, I'm guessing upbeat and jolly isn't a necessity.

The "song" in one of Shakespeare's comedies (is it "Much Ado.."?) that starts:

Fear no more the heat of the sun
Nor the furious Winter's rages

Also several of the sonnets are absolutely wonderful. I'll quote first lines of some of my faves.

My Mistress' eyes are nothing like the sun

That time of year thou mayest in me behold

When to the sessions of sweet silent thought

When my love swears that she is made of truth (which is awesome for all the double entendres)

Alas, 'tis true, I have gone here and there (is another funny one)(truth = fidelity in addition to its more common meaning)

Let me not to the marriage of true minds

No longer mourn for me when I am dead

Shall I compare thee to a summer's day?

When in disgrace with fortune and men's eyes

No more be grieved at that which thou hast done

[ November 05, 2009, 08:36 AM: Message edited by: Tatiana ]

Hedwig
Member # 2315

- posted      Profile for Hedwig           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Hobbes:
I like Kipling too.
Hobbes [Smile]

I've never Kippled. What's it like?
Posts: 127 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hedwig
Member # 2315

- posted      Profile for Hedwig           Edit/Delete Post 
Also my favorite poem is "If".
Posts: 127 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Kipling's "Two Sides of My Head" is one of my favorite poems.

Along with W.H. Auden's "Stop All the Clocks", which is one of the greatest mourning poems I've ever read.

Both are short enough to easily include in any anthology.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dante
Member # 1106

- posted      Profile for Dante           Edit/Delete Post 
"Morning Song," Bei Dao

"The Infinite," Giacomo Leopardi

"La aurora," Federico Garcia Lorca

"The Historical Judas," Howard Nemerov

"Downfall," Georg Trakl

"Hugh Selwyn Mauberley, IV-V," Ezra Pound

"Account," Czeslaw Milosz

"i sing of Olaf glad and big," e e cummings

"Samurai Song," Robert Pinsky

"Stopping By the Woods on a Snowy Evening," Robert Frost

"When I Have Fears," John Keats

"1129," Emily Dickinson

"When You Are Old," W.B. Yeats

"Dark Harbor (XVI)," Mark Strand

Posts: 1068 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
Matthew Arnold
To Marguerite - Continued
Dover Beach

Gerard Manly Hopkins
God's Grandeur
Spring
Kingfisher

Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
J.R.R. Tolkien's "Cat"

[ November 06, 2009, 04:48 PM: Message edited by: The Rabbit ]

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

That one is nice, Rabbit. I'm inordinately fond of Tolkien, and of cats. =)
Hobbes
Member # 433

These are excellent!

Last week I went with Scott's suggestion of "Invictus", but lots of good suggestions to pick from for the weeks to come!

Hobbes [Smile]

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Stevie Smith is one of my favorite poets.

Her "Pretty" is a classic for good cause.

Some others of hers I especially like:
Nor We of Her to Him
Not Waving but Drowning
Tenuous and Precarious
Our Bog is Dood

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't get Tenuous and Precarious, and I thought I was good at reading poems. Is there a deeper meaning beyond the surface wordplay?
Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
It's a play on the Latin assignments that were common in her youth, rather as if someone 40 years ago used the "See Jane run" format in a poem.

Other than that, it's just a fun poke at authority figures.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

This week's selection: "Stop all the clocks"

Hobbes [Smile]

Shmuel
Member # 7586

- posted      Profile for Shmuel   Email Shmuel         Edit/Delete Post 
"Benevolence," by Tony Hoagland
Posts: 884 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

Last week: "Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening"
This week: "The Infinite" and "Tell all the Truth, but tell it slant"

Hobbes [Smile]

SenojRetep
Member # 8614

- posted      Profile for SenojRetep   Email SenojRetep         Edit/Delete Post 
Here are indices of the three volumes of the Havard Classics compilation of essential English poetry (circa 1910, so no Eliot, cummings, Pound, Williams, etc. unfortunately).

Many of the short poems that others have mentioned are in the compilations. Some of my favorites that I don't think anyone's brought up are:
Elegy (Gray)

Ozymandias of Egypt (Shelley)

The End of the Play (Thackery)

Young and Old (Kingsley)

Say Not the Struggle Naught Availeth (Clough)

A Psalm of Life (Longfellow)

Posts: 2926 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.