FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Blame for the financial crisis?

Author Topic: Blame for the financial crisis?
Clive Candy
Member # 11977

- posted      Profile for Clive Candy           Edit/Delete Post 
evidence

[Edited topic; refraining from deleting thread for now. --PJ]

[ November 08, 2009, 08:09 PM: Message edited by: Papa Janitor ]

Posts: 532 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
Your mom is to blame for the financial crisis.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clive Candy
Member # 11977

The sequel:

http://seattlebubble.com/blog/2007/08/22/suzanne-researched-this-part-2/

Posts: 532 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Gosh. All I can do is laugh.
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0Megabyte
Member # 8624

- posted      Profile for 0Megabyte   Email 0Megabyte         Edit/Delete Post 
Sigh.

Can't you just blame crooked real estate and insurance people like the rest of us? [Big Grin]

Posts: 1577 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
Clive, you are just a troll? I had thought you seriously held these ideas. But I'm having that moment when you begin to realize something is satire and not real. However, reality, as we've seen, is actually crazier than satire so I still have to ask. Are you posting this stuff satirically or not?
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Alright, what'd I do with that troll begone. I know I have some left over still from the last few trolls who tried to settle under our bridge...
Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rollainm
Member # 8318

- posted      Profile for rollainm   Email rollainm         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm pretty sure Clive is somebody's alt. There have been some complaints that the board is too slow these days, and perhaps this kind of thing is his remedy for that.
Posts: 1945 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
He's definitely a troll. I'm guessing, actually, that he's KoM.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
You have to admit that he got more replies in a day than most threads do in a week, so if his goal is to liven things up it's definitely working.
Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Godric
Member # 4587

- posted      Profile for Godric   Email Godric         Edit/Delete Post 
If Clive is a troll, I'll take more of his kind. Mostly, he posing some interesting questions. He can write clear sentences. And while he might make some implications concerning his personal views, I haven't seen him get nasty about any of them - unless I've missed something (I don't read every thread).

This thread is just funny. I laughed. [Smile]

Actually, even this raises some serious sociological questions. For instance, I work for an advertising agency and we just looked at a report the other week claiming that men adopt identities easier through "name brand" products than women do. I think that's complete bunk - Coach, Prada, etc.

I think large purchases among married middle-class American households probably are driven by the women. I'm not saying that makes them responsible for the financial crises, but I think that does say something about our culture.

Of course, I could be completely off-the-mark in that belief, but in my personal experience (including my family and the large majority of families I know), my theory holds.

Posts: 1295 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Raymond Arnold:
You have to admit that he got more replies in a day than most threads do in a week, so if his goal is to liven things up it's definitely working.

that's a pretty grim state of affairs when a Target improves the state of a forum

oh jesus.

i just sourced flame warriors.

i am become the enemy

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
[quote] I think large purchases among married middle-class American households probably are driven by the women. {/quote]

Until mid-life crisis. Then it's convertibles and boats all the way. [Smile]

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CT
Member # 8342

- posted      Profile for CT           Edit/Delete Post 
Or hookers and blow. Well, same diff, really.
Posts: 831 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
*perks up*
Hmm?

Oh. Just theoretical hookers and blow.

Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CT
Member # 8342

- posted      Profile for CT           Edit/Delete Post 
And theoretical dancing girls in their short nighties. It's a world of debauchery in the Hypothetical. [Smile]
Posts: 831 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

- posted      Profile for Ron Lambert   Email Ron Lambert         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Samprimary:

i just sourced flame warriors.

i am become the enemy.

Want to borrow some of my asbestos?
Posts: 3742 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
If women were the drivers for large purchases in most households 42" TVs wouldn't exist.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ace of Spades
Member # 2256

- posted      Profile for Ace of Spades           Edit/Delete Post 
If women weren't the drivers for large purchases washing machines wouldn't exist, but sales of Febreze would skyrocket.
Posts: 431 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anonymous
Member # 486

- posted      Profile for anonymous           Edit/Delete Post 
Rwanda's Economic Revival

Relevent quotes:

quote:
Officials at Vision Finance, the microloan arm of World Vision International that launched a program in 2005 in [Masaka], said that while women make up the majority of borrowers, four out of five defaulters are men.
quote:
In 1990, a major study on poverty in Brazil published in the Journal of Human Resources showed that the effect of money managed by women in poor households was 20 times more likely to be spent on improving conditions in the home than money managed by men.
quote:
In India's great economic transformation of the past 15 years, states that have the highest percentage of women in the labor force have grown the fastest as well as had the largest reductions in poverty, according to the World Bank.

Posts: 54 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sean Monahan
Member # 9334

- posted      Profile for Sean Monahan   Email Sean Monahan         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ElJay and Ace of Spades:
If women were the drivers...

Oh, don't get me started on women drivers...

j/k [Wink]

Posts: 1080 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clive Candy
Member # 11977

quote:
Originally posted by anonymous:
Rwanda's Economic Revival

Relevent quotes:

quote:
Officials at Vision Finance, the microloan arm of World Vision International that launched a program in 2005 in [Masaka], said that while women make up the majority of borrowers, four out of five defaulters are men.
quote:
In 1990, a major study on poverty in Brazil published in the Journal of Human Resources showed that the effect of money managed by women in poor households was 20 times more likely to be spent on improving conditions in the home than money managed by men.
quote:
In India's great economic transformation of the past 15 years, states that have the highest percentage of women in the labor force have grown the fastest as well as had the largest reductions in poverty, according to the World Bank.

Pfft. Men take out huge loans in order to hold on to women.

Please watch the commercial again. Note how the poor fellow is cornered, with his wife pretty much saying "I want that house and will be terribly disappointed if you don't get it for me." The husband knows that the prudent thing to do is to wait and, perhaps, not get a house in that price range. But his wife demands it, and when he concedes she responds as if the whole thing was the husband's decision -- as if he could have said no. The wife was pretty much threatening divorce if she didn't get what she wanted. All men who take out huge loans for houses are this guy.

King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
If so, you're putting the blame on the wrong person. The thread title should rather be, "Are pathetic pussy-whipped putzes to blame for the financial crisis?" But really, spinning one dang advertisement into a whole theory of something as complex as the financial crisis is nontrivially suboptimal.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 8594

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
Clive, I hope you're not married. Or that you're not serious. Or both.
Posts: 2392 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Serious or not, he clearly likes alliteration.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ace of Spades
Member # 2256

- posted      Profile for Ace of Spades           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by King of Men:
If so, you're putting the blame on the wrong person. The thread title should rather be, "Are pathetic pussy-whipped putzes to blame for the financial crisis?"

The crisis was well underway before he was even elected.
Posts: 431 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Godric
Member # 4587

- posted      Profile for Godric   Email Godric         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]
Posts: 1295 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Pop.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.