FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Controversial Announcement-No more OSC Articles for Me. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Controversial Announcement-No more OSC Articles for Me.
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I will give up reading all of Orson Scott Card's articles. Not sure about the books.
It's just not worth the stress and frustration.
I tried to stop reading the political articles because they frustrated me so much, and frustration leads to stomach aches, teeth grinding which leads to agony.
So instead I'd read his reviews of things, but Uncle Orson cannot review brownies without throwing in some line about the evils of liberals.
Which is irritating as not all liberals are bad. I am a liberal. Quite bleeding heart, and very proud of it. Liberals are useful.
It's not the conservativeness of the articles that bothers me, conservatism is useful too. I don't agree with most of the tenets of it. But, again, some are useful, good for society, much like some aspects of liberalism. You need both. You need perspective. It isn't right to dismiss people entirely because of their opinions, ie, calling them stupid or evil for not sharing your views as their experiences, religion, background shape the way they see the world. So I try not to do that, but at times, it's hard. Sometimes the delivery of these opinions can inflame and annoy me, making me think, I know you feel XYZ, but is it necessarily to be rude about it?
If I believe in gay marriage and someone else does not, do I have the right to call them names? America and our rights as Americans are all about disagreeing and agreeing, freedom of speech.
But, this must be done with respect, like everything else in our world that claims to be civilized.

Perhaps I am going on a tangent.
Fact is, it's no longer worth it to read things that will aggravate this terrible IBS condition I have which is mostly caused by me stressing myself out and frustrating myself.
There's no subtlety to Orson Scott Card's articles. No concept that there may be some children who do well with single parents. Or some gay couples that are just as healthy or more so healthy than straight couples. There's no concepts of things not being black and white. Not shades of grey or colours.
So, instead of frustrating myself with these articles I'm not learning anything from, I think I should write my own articles and stories and politely but firmly challenge the sort of black and white thinking that makes the world a more frustrating place.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Synesthesia:
I think I will give up reading all of Orson Scott Card's articles.

Not sure why it's controversial or requires an announcement. I haven't read his reviews and WW articles (unless linked by someone else, and usually not even then) for years.

I still enjoy his fiction.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, not exactly controversial to me.
Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Shhh!!! You guys are ruining her dramatic exit!

It's like when you try to storm out of the room and you have trouble opening the door.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
I gave them up years ago, but I do like most of his weekly columns in Mormon Times, so I read those. Unless he's talking about anything political. I skip those. His stuff about church is often really good. I enjoy those a lot.
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not exactly leaving here, as I'm fond of this place.
I just cannot abide anymore of these frustrating articles. Arg. They drive me up a tree. I think I'd rather be pinched by big huge giant Calanthe-crab's big hermie pinchy claw again.
Which really hurts. He drew BLOOD one time. He's lucky he does that cute washing his eye thing.
Maybe if OSC wrote an article about butterflies and moths and why they are awesome and didn't ONCE say something like, liberals are like evil moths which would offend me on several levels.
As moths are not evil but cute, adorable and sweet.

quote:
Originally posted by Belle:
Shhh!!! You guys are ruining her dramatic exit!

It's like when you try to storm out of the room and you have trouble opening the door.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dogbreath
Member # 11879

- posted      Profile for Dogbreath           Edit/Delete Post 
I enjoy reading his reviews on books. I've found quite a few really good books because of his reviews, and I think he understands what makes a book enjoyable really well... or at least he mostly enjoys the same sort of books I do. Movies are similar, but to a lesser extent.

I don't read much else he reviews, as it's mostly boring stuff like food or local politics. What exactly in his uncle Orson reviews has distressed you so much?

Posts: 2222 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

The general rudeness towards people who disagree with him.
The constant dissing of liberals even if he's talking about something like iPods or cookies. Or movies. He always has to go on a tirade about liberals and their America hating ways.
We don't hate America. We just think, well, that America is wonderful, but imperfect. We want to make it better in our liberal way... No side is really perfect.
He says so many rude things about gay people. It's not nice. I don't think gay marriage will destroy America. None of these people talk about things that really hurt families like abuse and the like. It's just gays, gays, gays and, oh yeah, liberals and feminists.
Which are USEFUL. People who contribute to America, pay taxes, yes, even serve in the military and the like. Even if you don't agree with folks, they deserve respect, but if folks just keep being rude and harsh all the time, not looking at another's point of view, well, it frustrates me.

Also he tends to diss JK Rowling a lot, which isn't fair. Why call her cowardly for answering a question a fan had about a character? Especially when Harry Potter wasn't about Dumbledore's sexuality. OSC's gay characters always end up either married off to women, or worse. Like that poor dude in Songmaster. That was so harsh. Poor guy.
These things have been annoying me for ages, but I've sort of had enough...

Clive Candy
Member # 11977

- posted      Profile for Clive Candy           Edit/Delete Post 
I made this thread 5.4 years ago:

http://www.hatrack.com/cgi-bin/ubbmain/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=025890;p=0&r=nfx#000009

Unfortunately he wrote some good novels. Those of us who adored those books are the people who he can get the most emotional reaction from.

ETA: I was shocked to discover that I called Mr. Card the a-h word in that thread. Sowee...

[ November 11, 2009, 10:37 PM: Message edited by: Clive Candy ]

Posts: 532 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm glad you've reached a decision.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clive Candy
Member # 11977

Hey everyone, let's keep making fun of Synesthesia for being dramatic.
Posts: 532 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

Interesting. I'm in that thread a few times.
I can't say I want to silence OSC, he can write and say what he wants to say, as this is AMERICA. Where you can do that.
But somehow, if I say things in a public way such as putting them in a newspaper for all to see, I'd want to say them with politeness and respect even for people whose point of views I totally disagree with one hundred percent and find a bit unhealthy.
As free speech is a great thing, but politeness, well, you get more butterflies with honey than vinegar anyway.
So I will politely disagree with OSC on his site even because THIS IS AMERICA.

Also for some reason the phrase THIS IS AMERICA is very funny to me.
I think I am also a bit frustrated with the books too... Especially since there's this one book I read several times and didn't even notice this passage in it. Nothing in the world is more unhealthy to families than domestic abuse.

Synesthesia
Member # 4774

That's not very nice...
As, perhaps OSC and I have something in common and want to make the world a better place in our own way.
But, it is my way to want to find the middle ground to things... I don't know, maybe it is a bit dramatic..

quote:
Originally posted by Clive Candy:

Clive Candy
Member # 11977

quote:
Originally posted by Synesthesia:
That's not very nice...
As, perhaps OSC and I have something in common and want to make the world a better place in our own way.
But, it is my way to want to find the middle ground to things... I don't know, maybe it is a bit dramatic..

quote:

It's dramatic. Card is once again pleased to know that his writing effects people.
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

Ignoring it might be a better solution...

But sometimes those articles can be so hurtful to a large segment of the population. A segment that are not bad people. Just people who see the world differently.
I think i am probably not the intended audience in the first place.

Clive Candy
Member # 11977

Yea but if you ignore it, you're like someone who's running away from a challenge.
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

Hmmm... You kind of are beginning to annoy me a bit.
Which takes a long time to happen.

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, look! The troll has managed to find a way to annoy the over-sensitive person! It's something no one could have predicted! :eyeroll:
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

I can't say I'm oversensitive... Again, mostly I'm very slow to anger, but the harshness of those articles has been getting under my skin for years...

Which is why it's time to run off and read stuff that is more enjoyable. Like stuff about John Lennon.

TomDavidson
Member # 124

I know you can't say you're oversensitive, Syne, but everyone else can. [Smile]
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
I know you can't say you're oversensitive, Syne, but everyone else can. [Smile]

Well, if I am, there's nothing wrong with it... It's a bit better than being undersensitive... I am totally a bleeding heart, but we have our place in the world.
Clive Candy
Member # 11977

I didn't intend to annoy, Anastasia. My first post was made in sympathy, my second one was a jab at the people making "haha!" one liners, and my third one was a piece of advice drawn from my own experiences: just because a writer's opinions upset you doesn't mean you should ignore that writer.
TomDavidson
Member # 124

quote:
I didn't intend to annoy, Anastasia.
Might want to fix that, then. [Wink]
Clive Candy
Member # 11977

Oops. How silly of me.
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

hehe. Anastasia.

OK, ^^ But it's still so.. urg. It's just not good for my stomach lining to be constantly upset all the time.
I have to think of my stomach lining. Bad enough I can't seem to stop watching criminal minds and all, and finding other things to aggravate me.

I must somehow break this habit, as I hate stomach pain and all that comes with it.

MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm just waiting for OSC to become a full-time commentator on Fox News.
Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DDDaysh
Member # 9499

- posted      Profile for DDDaysh   Email DDDaysh         Edit/Delete Post 
Since I came to the conclusion that reading most of his essays would be a painful and useless experience after about 2.5 of them, I can't really understand why this is dramatic. It's like, "Hmmph, he has some really disagreeable notions about things. Guess he isn't really God incarnate after all. Oh well."

Then I moved on. You should have taken this leap years ago Syn, you could have saved yourself alot of Alkaseltzer (or however it's spelled).

Then again, he's quite a bit more progressive than most of my REAL uncles, so maybe I'm just used to it.

Posts: 1321 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
File me under the "why is this controversial?" crowd.
Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
Member # 8099

- posted      Profile for steven   Email steven         Edit/Delete Post 
I like the part about "single mothers and their sociopathic children". I still don't quite get why he thinks that fathers are the only adult males capable of providing direction/discipline for kids. The Cherokee left the disciplining of children to the mother's brother. I don't see why uncles/neighbors/teachers/etc. can't help with raising children. It does take a village, usually, unless the parents are superhuman. IMHO.

Oh well.

Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clive Candy
Member # 11977

quote:
Originally posted by steven:
I like the part about "single mothers and their sociopathic children". I still don't quite get why he thinks that fathers are the only adult males capable of providing direction/discipline for kids. The Cherokee left the disciplining of children to the mother's brother. I don't see why uncles/neighbors/teachers/etc. can't help with raising children. It does take a village, usually, unless the parents are superhuman. IMHO.

Oh well.

Single-mothers cannot control young men. This is why the majority of criminals come from house-holds headed by a single mother.
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Single-mothers cannot control young men.

I want to know where you came from and how utterly worthless and helpless all the women in your life were.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clive Candy
Member # 11977

quote:
Originally posted by Samprimary:
quote:

I want to know where you came from and how utterly worthless and helpless all the women in your life were.
quote:
“Here is the lottery ticket that single mothers are handing their innocent children by choosing to raise them without fathers: Controlling for socioeconomic status, race, and place of residence, the strongest predictor of whether a person will end up in prison is that he was raised by a single parent. By 1996, 70 percent of inmates in state juvenile detention centers serving long-term sentences were raised by single mothers. Seventy-two percent of juvenile murderers and 60 percent of rapists come from single-mother homes. Seventy percent of teenage births, dropouts, suicides, runaways, juvenile delinquents, and child murderers involve children raised by single mothers. Girls raised without fathers are more sexually promiscuous and more likely to end up divorced. A 1990 study by the Progressive Policy Institute showed that after controlling for single motherhood, the difference between black and white crime rates disappeared.
http://scottthong.wordpress.com/2009/04/16/ann-coulters-statistics-on-single-motherhood-and-the-suffering-it-causes/
Luet13
Member # 9274

- posted      Profile for Luet13   Email Luet13         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. Just... wow. Quoting Ann Coulter is a sure fire way of convincing people to take you seriously. Really.
Posts: 511 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
Regarding single mothers...atleast they're trying. If they suffer any disadvantage, its because the men CHOOSE not to be involved. I imagine its not the mere absence of a father that is the problem but rather the feelings of abandonment.
Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clive Candy
Member # 11977

Because if Ann Coulter quotes statistics, those statistics must be wrong.
Fusiachi
Member # 7376

- posted      Profile for Fusiachi   Email Fusiachi         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by steven:

Oh well.

Single-mothers cannot control young men. This is why the majority of criminals come from house-holds headed by a single mother.
My (widowed) mother did a fantastic job.

She doesn't constitute a particularly large sample, but one is enough to challenge your 'cannot' position. Certainty and self-righteousness are downright unappealing. So is trolling.

Posts: 433 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clive Candy
Member # 11977

It is a statistical truth. There will be many exceptions.
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
quote:

blah blah
I don't care about what Ann Coulter told you about women. I want to know what the women in your life were like to leave you so utterly susceptible to being able to think of women the way you do. It's hard to imagine how it's possible, unless you came from one of those religious families that trains women very carefully to be obedient and muted poppets lorded over by taciturn men in godly marriages.

It's (hilariously) horrific. You're like a purposefully constructed pastiche of chauvinistic neuroses aimed at the apparent frailty and vulnerability of women who need your socially obligatory protections to be enacted for their own sake.

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clive Candy
Member # 11977

I merely pointed out statistics. I don't know why you have to ask intrusive questions about my personal live.
Samprimary
Member # 8561

quote:
I don't know why you have to ask intrusive questions about my personal live.

Gee I seem to have explained that right here

quote:
I want to know what the women in your life were like to leave you so utterly susceptible to being able to think of women the way you do

Clive Candy
Member # 11977

That's like asking someone "why do you beat your wife?"
Clive Candy
Member # 11977

I do have unconventional ideas though. I read this blog everyday:

http://roissy.wordpress.com/

Samprimary
Member # 8561

quote:
That's like asking someone "why do you beat your wife?"

No. It's like asking someone what kind of relations they have with women that made them act out a pervasive, neurotic, chauvinistic appraisal of the female sex and feeling compelled to make your lightning-rod estimations of womanhood known frequently to this forum.

I mean it.

You've gone from several topics of startlingly poor taste to now saying this. This isn't just about this one incident of bad statistics. This is about you being known for having an utterly abhorrent crusade against womenhood, plaintively asking and suggesting that their financial liberation is at fault for our financial ills, that they can't be allowed to be soldiers because their capture and possible rape would drive ous literally insane out of some poorly-explained male reactionary drive, that they're poor lost confused dears who should not have strayed from male-dominated social structures, etc.

It's like someone cut you out whole cloth from parts of The Handmaid's Tale.

And that is why I ask.

Clive Candy
Member # 11977

I shared a horrifying commercial that showed a man being basically bullied into making a huge financial decision. I said nothing about women's financial independence. Furthermore, it's true that a female soldier getting captured and raped could have negative consequences that male soldiers getting captured and tortured wouldn't bring about. And this: "that they're poor lost confused dears who should not have strayed from male-dominated social structures, etc" is you talking out of your ass.
Samprimary
Member # 8561

quote:
I shared a horrifying commercial that showed a man being basically bullied into making a huge financial decision.

The question you posed was "Are women to blame for the financial crisis?"

In conjunction with your sourcing and supposition, that's why I say you suggested it.

quote:
Furthermore, it's true that a female soldier getting captured and raped could have negative consequences that male soldiers getting captured and tortured wouldn't bring about.
The negative consequences you asserted were all completely invented and delusional, so forgive me for not buying it.
Clive Candy
Member # 11977

quote:
quote:
[qb] I shared a horrifying commercial that showed a man being basically bullied into making a huge financial decision.

The question you posed was "Are women to blame for the financial crisis?" In conjunction with your sourcing and supposition, that's why I say you suggested it.
Well, it was clear from the context that I wasn't talking about women's financial independence. I was actually suggesting that it's possible it's women who care about big houses and therefore cajoled their men into getting loans they shouldn't have. After all, women do tend to be far more "house proud" than men.

quote:
The negative consequences you asserted were all completely invented and delusional, so forgive me for not buying it.
Yea, remember Jessica Lynch? Now imagine dozens of girls like her getting captured and raped. Our forces will be committing war crimes in retaliation in no time.
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
... "more" war crimes anyways ...
Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
The real question in this thread is WHY anyone even acknowledges that Clive Candy exists. He/she is clearly the most overt and worthless troll to visit Hatrack in some time, and people keep responding.

Strange days, my friends. Strange days.

Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I briefly look through them to see if they improved, they keep getting worse before it was "Okay, we have a difference of opinion and his points are arguable..." now its "Okay, now I know who is writing for Glenn Beck..."

However I found that aside from one or two brief cringe worthy moments in Ender and Exile his fiction is just as meaningful and enjoyable to read as Ender;s Game was and will continue to support his science fiction writing.

ANDD GOD DAMNIT CLIVE KEEP YOU FILTHY SEXIST BULLCRAP IN THE THREAD YOU STARTED FOR DISCUSSING THAT BULLCRAP!

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.