FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Controversial Announcement: I am eating Oreos and I am pretty sure. . . (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Controversial Announcement: I am eating Oreos and I am pretty sure. . .
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
I love those Hershey's Dark Chocolate Kisses. They're wrapped in purple foil, which is cool, and also they taste really good. Are you telling me they aren't chocolate?
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes. Yes, she is.

I think it is safe to conclude that she is using a non-standard definition of chocolate.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Are you sure you aren't confusing "pure chocolate" with "cocoa liqueur"? They are not the same.
AFAIK, they are.

Random: My new favorite chocolate indulgence are the kisses Hershey's puts out near Christmas, like the mint truffle ones and the cherry cordial ones. I need a drooling emoticon.

[Edited to change Christman to Christmas, lest you all think I'd invented a new superhero of Biblical proportions.]

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

The Lindt chocolate bars made up of little squares of truffles? Holy schmoley, they are fantastic.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't had those, but Lindt truffles are a little piece of heaven. The white chocolate ones have so much fat in them that they coat your tongue and I can't eat more than two at a time, but Yowza.
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

The first time I had a Godiva key lime truffle, I actually made those yummy noises from commercials. It's too rich for all the time, but it can be completely amazing.
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

That's something I'm going to have to do. The next time I'm in the mall, I'm going to waltz right into the Godiva store and drop the three bucks for a truffle instead of walking by dejectedly like I have been for the last twelve years.
katharina
Member # 827

I think you should. It's worth doing just once.
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Like I said, if we are even going to discuss the issue we need to agree on what is and is not chocolate. That requires some sort of quantifiable definition. That isn't simple because chocolate isn't a pure substance like water. But there are things that we will all agree are not chocolate and some things we can all agree are chocolate, so somewhere in between there must be a point where things stop being chocolate and start being something else. We can argue about where that point is but any point we select would be controversial (which is not at all the same as subjective). Since chocolate is desirable, things that fall just outside the boundary of what we agree is really chocolate are always going to argue that the boundary should be moved.
I don't think you are correct that we can not discuss what is good chocolate and what is not good chocolate without that initial agreement.

I do think the discussion will not proceed in your preferred mode without that definition.

I could point out that if we granted your premise, the end result would be that your initial argument - which is that Hershey does not make good chocolate - will be proven correct. But I think it's just as likely that you aren't consciously trying to frame the debate, and simply aren't keeping in mind that most of us are perfectly willing to discuss what we consider subjectively good without first delineating into objectively separate categories. Blurry lines suffice.

Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
My goodness, folks. It was Oreos that were supposed to be controversial. Leave the room for a few minutes and look what happens!

But as long as we're taking the gloves off, white chocolate is vile. I'm sure it's not really chocolate by anyone's definition, so I don't think we can argue that part. And if you don't think it's vile, well, you're just wrong.

Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

White chocolate can be fine as long as it is paired with something else that contributes a strong flavor. Raspberries, wasabi, etc.

By itself I don't like it.

Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

White chocolate chili brownies = awesomesauce.
Uprooted
Member # 8353

quote:

White chocolate chili brownies = double oxymoron.

Fixed that for ya!
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

- posted      Profile for Rappin' Ronnie Reagan   Email Rappin' Ronnie Reagan         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by PSI Teleport:
quote:
Are you sure you aren't confusing "pure chocolate" with "cocoa liqueur"? They are not the same.
AFAIK, they are.

Random: My new favorite chocolate indulgence are the kisses Hershey's puts out near Christmas, like the mint truffle ones and the cherry cordial ones. I need a drooling emoticon.

My favorite are the candy cane ones. I've never seen cherry cordial ones before. I'll have to check next time I'm at the store.
Posts: 1658 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

quote:
Originally posted by Uprooted:
quote:

White chocolate chili brownies = double oxymoron.

Fixed that for ya!
It's true. They are, in no way, brownies. They're bar cookies with white chocolate chunks and chilies in them. I don't know why the word brownie is in the title.

They're good, though. The trick with white chocolate is that you can never think of them as chocolate, or you will be disappointed. If you go in thinking of them as vanilla chunks you'll have a better experience.

Uprooted
Member # 8353

Yeah, I do think of it as vanilla chunks, or at least creamy white stuff, and it just isn't anything I want. Just . . . too sweet, but w/o the payoff you get from chocolate.

Those Mrs. Field cookies w/ white choc. chips and macadamia nuts? Nope. Feel free to put macadamia nuts in an actual chocolate chip cookie or even a plain cookie and I'll be happy, but leave those overly sweet white things out of them!

Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
I've suddenly got a hankerin' for Oreos, and I don't even really like Oreos.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm telling you, Newman Os are way, way better than Oreos.

Also, I see Rabbit's point. And Lisa's too. Hershey's is not bad. Especially kisses. But they sort of dechocolified it in a way by adding... well... weird things. It tends to be a bit grainy.
I kind of like grainy though, and I tend to not mind chocolate bloom, but for my chocolate needs I think I like Trader Joe's dark chocolate the best.
It's cheap, with 3 bars for just $1.10 or a bit more. It's delicious and has a nice texture.
Ghiradelli is always good with it's nice high sort of flavour.

Also the Godiva at my mall is giving away free truffles. I love those things. I'd like to have more of the good stuff for baking and trying to figure out how to make nipples of venus.

Also, I continue to be a chocolate purist who insists that chocolate doesn't need nuts, berries, fruit or anything like that. It mostly needs more chocolate!

quote:
Originally posted by Jon Boy:

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholarette
Member # 11540

- posted      Profile for scholarette           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by katharina:
I think you should. It's worth doing just once.

Doing just once? Whenever I walk by the Godiva store, I get a truffle. I so wish I was at the mall now.
Posts: 2223 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Synesthesia:
I'm telling you, Newman Os are way, way better than Oreos.
like that. It mostly needs more chocolate!

quote:
Originally posted by Jon Boy:

Joe's O's. That's the good stuff.
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't tried those yet.
I'm trying to cut down on Trader Joe's because it's all the way in Boston and they have so much good yummy stuff

Like Maple syrup. mmmm!

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Rabbit:
quote:
But is there some sort of chocolate standard by which quality is measured? My comment about good quality chocolate was based on that assumption, but I could be wrong. I was comparing chocolate to something like beef, which has specific grades that the USDA uses.

Yes there are quality standards that apply to chocolate.
In your opinion.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
But as long as we're taking the gloves off, white chocolate is vile. I'm sure it's not really chocolate by anyone's definition, so I don't think we can argue that part. And if you don't think it's vile, well, you're just wrong.

It's not chocolate-chocolate, but it is white chocolate!

And while there are lots of brands that are vile, the good stuff -- preferably Swiss -- is marvelous.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DDDaysh
Member # 9499

- posted      Profile for DDDaysh   Email DDDaysh         Edit/Delete Post 
Oreos = Yummy, most especially single stuffed in Ice Cream or Milk.

Hershey's = Icky - but consumable if one is desperate

Milka = Heaven!

Posts: 1321 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lisa:
quote:
quote:
But is there some sort of chocolate standard by which quality is measured? My comment about good quality chocolate was based on that assumption, but I could be wrong. I was comparing chocolate to something like beef, which has specific grades that the USDA uses.

Yes there are quality standards that apply to chocolate.
In your opinion.
No, by the consensus of regulatory agencies.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Yes. Yes, she is.

I think it is safe to conclude that she is using a non-standard definition of chocolate.

What do you mean by "standard". If you are talking common usage, perhaps. But the common definition is not particularly useful since most people would agree that chocolate icecream, chocolate milk, chocolate brownies and chocolate mints are different things than "chocolate".

What I'm talking about is the legal definition. By the codex alimentarius (international definition) some most hershey's products do not qualify as "chocolate". By US standards, more hershey's candies are "chocolate", but many don't qualify even under the extremely lax US standard. I don't know specifically about their dark chocolate kisses. If on the label, the are called chocolate candy kisses, that means that they don't qualify as chocolate under the legal definition.

Contrary to Lisa's assertion, this isn't a case where regulatory bodies are excluding things the label "chocolate" from things which have been long considered chocolate. What's actually happening is that companies like Hershey's have begun including ingredients in their chocolate candies which have long been agreed aren't ingredients of pure chocolate.

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Your second sentence is total nonsense. The fact that you had to specify ice cream, milk, brownies, and mints in the names is exactly why they are different from regular chcolate.

Your post is such a perfect example of pathetic aggrandizement it simply MUST be parody. You can't possibly actually be that narrow.

That you don't even know what Hershey's Kisses are called on the bag means that you are speaking out of total ignorance. You'd think that before you got that self-important you'd do the minimum of research.

Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
What I'm talking about is the legal definition. By the codex alimentarius (international definition) some most hershey's products do not qualify as "chocolate".

I don't recognize the codex alimentarius as defining reality.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
If on the label, the are called chocolate candy kisses, that means that they don't qualify as chocolate under the legal definition.

Legal usage and common usage are frequently dissimilar. Chocolate is far from the only thing where this is the case.

For casual discussion, the legal definition is often fairly irrelevant. As it is in this case.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

quote:
quote:
What I'm talking about is the legal definition. By the codex alimentarius (international definition) some most hershey's products do not qualify as "chocolate".

Then offer an alternative definition. But like I said, it makes no sense to discuss chocolate unless we can agree on what chocolate is. Continuing to repeat that you don't accept my definition of chocolate is ludicrous unless you propose some alternative definition.
Misha McBride
Member # 6578

- posted      Profile for Misha McBride           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know whether Hershey's is real chocolate or sorta chocolate or merely chocolate flavored, but I do know it tastes burnt compared to other chocolate products. Like they went to melt it and walked away for a smoke break and forgot and the bottom scalded and they came back and said awww man but poured it in with the rest anyway. Its kinda gross.
Posts: 262 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
quote:

It's not chocolate-chocolate, but it is white chocolate!

And while there are lots of brands that are vile, the good stuff -- preferably Swiss -- is marvelous.

White chcolate does not fit the legal definition of chocolate.
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

quote:
White chcolate does not fit the legal definition of chocolate.
That used to be true in the US (although not in Europe). As of I think 2002, "white chocolate" is legally defined in the US.

This is a step forward for the consumer. The reason that Swiss white chocolate is so good is that it contains large amounts of cocoa butter which give chocolate its characteristic texture. Prior to the creation of legal standards for "white chocolate" in the US, "white chocolate candies" could be marketed that contained no cocoa butter at all. These are nasty. Among professionals they are referred to as "coatings" not chocolate of any kind.

[ November 15, 2009, 05:54 PM: Message edited by: The Rabbit ]

Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
quote:
quote:

Then offer an alternative definition. But like I said, it makes no sense to discuss chocolate unless we can agree on what chocolate is. Continuing to repeat that you don't accept my definition of chocolate is ludicrous unless you propose some alternative definition.
See, but I'm not trying to impose a purportedly "objective" definition of chocolate on you. I don't think there needs to be one, other than the vague one that says it's made from cacao beans and is recognizably chocolate to at least some people.
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
If my previous experiences with so called "white chocolate" weren't so abjectly horrible, I might begin to want to believe there are confections of that kind that are otherwise.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

I do not believe in white chocolate.
It's not really chocolate the way chocolate is chocolate.

scifibum
Member # 7625

"But like I said, it makes no sense to discuss chocolate unless we can agree on what chocolate is."

You keep repeating this, but you're the only one who thinks it's true (as far as I can tell). So perhaps for the rest of us, it makes sense to discuss chocolate without first taxonomizing.

DDDaysh
Member # 9499

- posted      Profile for DDDaysh   Email DDDaysh         Edit/Delete Post 
This thread only goes to prove that people can argue about almost anything!
Posts: 1321 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Sez you. [Razz]
Uprooted
Member # 8353

quote:
Originally posted by romanylass:
Joe's O's. That's the good stuff.

Joe Joe's. Because I'm just that easily influenced -- I was in Trader Joe's today and I bought some with chocolate creme filling. Next it will be the Newman's Os I'm sure.

Anyone remember Fudgetowns?

The Rabbit
Member # 671

quote:
See, but I'm not trying to impose a purportedly "objective" definition of chocolate on you. I don't think there needs to be one, other than the vague one that says it's made from cacao beans and is recognizably chocolate to at least some people.
Am I understanding you correctly that you think its reasonable to consider things as different as Oreo Cookies and Godiva Truffles as all part of the same general class of things that are "chocolate" and that you can't see any reason to refine that class any further?

If so, then I think your stance is quite different from the majority of people. I think most people think that brownies and chocolate ice cream are in a truly different category from "chocolate". I think that most people would agree that "white chocolate", "milk chocolate" and "semi-sweet chocolate" are sufficiently different kinds of things in objectively quantifiable ways.

As some one who has begun studying chocolate professionally, I know that products made from cocoa, like Rausch single plantation chocolates and Hershey's are as different in quantifiable objective ways as dark chocolate is from milk chocolate. They simply are sufficiently different in quantifiable objective ways that it doesn't make sense to refuse to distinguish between them.

katharina
Member # 827

From the looks of this thread, you're the odd person out, Rabbit.
The Rabbit
Member # 671

quote:

That likely means I'm the only one who knows much about the subject. For example, did you know that there are three different species of cocoa (Criollo, Trinitario, and Forestero) and that commodity chocolates are exclusively from Forestero where as Fine Flavor chocolates are made from the other two species?
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Am I understanding you correctly that you think its reasonable to consider things as different as Oreo Cookies and Godiva Truffles as all part of the same general class of things that are "chocolate" and that you can't see any reason to refine that class any further?

Nobody thinks that Oreos are chocolate. The cookie part are chocolate flavored, yes. Same with the outer part of a generic ice cream sandwich.

Meanwhile, I wouldn't call all Godiva truffles "chocolate" blankly. Some contain cherry, which is not chocolate. Some contain raspberry filling, which is not only not chocolate, but also an abomination.

The Rabbit
Member # 671

quote:

Does this mean you also think there is no reason to distinguish between things like Oreo cookies and Godiva truffles? You think they are both the same kind of thing?
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
They simply are sufficiently different in quantifiable objective ways that it doesn't make sense to refuse to distinguish between them.
Except when it does.
Like when Sophie asks, "Can I have some chocolate," and I say no, but she can have anything else in the snack cabinet, that does not mean that I have given her permission to eat the one Hershey's bar there (even though it is not "chocolate" by your definition.)

Do you refuse to call sparkling wines "Champagne" unless they're from the right place?

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
quote:

That likely means I'm the only one who knows much about the subject. For example, did you know that there are three different species of cocoa (Criollo, Trinitario, and Forestero) and that commodity chocolates are exclusively from Forestero where as Fine Flavor chocolates are made from the other two species?
<yawn>

(To the tune of the Pink Panther theme:)
Pedant, pedant, pedant pedant pedant pedant pedaaaaaaaant.

katharina
Member # 827

I think the words "Oreo cookies" and "Godiva truffles" do a dandy job of distinguishing between them.

quote:
That likely means I'm the only one who knows much about the subject.
Oh, honey. This is pride. In fact, that's a pretty classic example of enmitical pride. You assume that if people don't agree, then you must be superior in some way.
You're not. You're not in possession of some special knowledge. What you are is LACKING in the knowledge of appropriate social discourse. You're the person singing a dirge at the birthday party. This is not because no one else knows the words to the dirge.

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
(For the record, BTW: I don't consider Godiva truffles to be all that good. Some of them are quite nicely flavored, but the quality of the actual chocolate in them is mediocre when their price is taken into account.)
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:

Cool! Interesting stuff, The Rabbit. Why are you studying chocolate? Can I help? [Wink]
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.