FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » AAAHHHCHOO!!!

Author Topic: AAAHHHCHOO!!!
rollainm
Member # 8318

- posted      Profile for rollainm   Email rollainm         Edit/Delete Post 
*waits*

*looks around expectantly*

Nothing? Geez, you people are rude!

Okay, seriously, there is a topic of discussion here. So, some time ago, I (an atheist) came to the conclusion that it was a little weird/inappropriate for me to say "Bless you" when someone sneezed. So I stopped. And when I sneeze, I'll generally say "Excuse me", much like if I were to cough or burp publicly (not that I do that often or if I can at all help it). But I still feel a slight twinge when someone sneezes. I feel justified in not saying anything, but at the same time I feel like my silence is rude, and I know I've gotten the occasional look from others who notice when I don't give the customary response. So anywho, out of curiosity I did some googling and of course came across the usual attempts to explain the origin of the phrase (the Black Plague, expelling the demons, etc.). I'm honestly not too interested in which is true. It just doesn't have any bearing on the reason most people say it today, which I think is typically purely reflexive - it's just the customary/polite thing to do. But what I did find interesting is that the US seems to be relatively alone here. Many other nations apparently say something along the lines of "To your health", which I find quite appropriate.

Now, I don't think I'll actually adopt this phrase because honestly it would sound a bit weird around here, and I think I'm better off just keeping quiet. But I am curious what other atheists, non-Christian Americans, and those who live outside the US say when someone sneezes. And for you atheists, was there a point where you had to think about it and make a decision, or have you just always done whatever you do now?

Posts: 1945 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
I (an atheist) don't really have a problem saying "bless you".

Most people where I am don't actually use it to mean "The Lord God turn His Favor upon you." They use it to mean "[symbolic noise uttered when someone nearby sneezes]". So that's what I mean when I use it, and I think most people get that. If I lived someplace different, I might feel dishonest about it knowing that others were understanding something different than what I intended.

ETA: In that case, I might say "gesundheit" or "salud". Sometimes I do anyway.

Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Launchywiggin
Member # 9116

- posted      Profile for Launchywiggin   Email Launchywiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm still a closet atheist when it comes to these kinds of things. The short-term gains of being accepted in everyday social encounters outweighs the long-term gains of making atheism more acceptable in society.

Or maybe I'm just a coward and a liar. The truth is, with where I'm living now, my job depends on me being seen as a normal christian boy.

Posts: 1314 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sean Monahan
Member # 9334

- posted      Profile for Sean Monahan   Email Sean Monahan         Edit/Delete Post 
I also am somewhat of a closet atheist. But I stopped saying "bless you" at sneezes even before I lost my faith. It just seemed a silly thing to do to me. Now, being an unbeliever, I think it would be uncomfortable for me to say it if I was still in the habit.

Instead, in reference to an episode of Seinfeld, when someone sneezes, I say, "You are soooooo good lookin'."

Posts: 1080 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
I grew up saying "Gesundheit" in place of "bless you", partly because I was raised in an atheist household and partly because I'm full blooded German. I haven't yet broken that habit.
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I say "bless you" when people cough.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
I remember linking to an article on French Canadian swearing, the majority have religious origins but have lost their original meaning to such an extent that most people don't know about them. Similarly, I know a fair number of Chinese and English insults that probably don't carry their original meaning anymore.

Since I can largely strip swears and curses of their original meaning, I don't really see the problem with other more positive common phrases either really.

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elmer's Glue
Member # 9313

- posted      Profile for Elmer's Glue   Email Elmer's Glue         Edit/Delete Post 
I've never said it. I guess I wasn't raised right.
Posts: 1287 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clive Candy
Member # 11977

- posted      Profile for Clive Candy           Edit/Delete Post 
Ahchoo was the character Dave Chapelle played in "Robin Hood: Men in Tights."

the more you know...

Posts: 532 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
I normally say either Salud or Gesundheit. Lately I also sometimes say "Good Luck," but that's only when I feel like being deliberately weird.

I think I also sometimes say "Bless you," which is less specific in meaning than God Bless You (and also seems to roll off the tongue easier).

In any case, I don't think there's any reason to deliberately exclude oneself from the social convention. There's plenty of acceptable secular responses.

Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The White Whale
Member # 6594

- posted      Profile for The White Whale           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't say anything. What makes a sneeze all that different from a burp, cough, or fart? I don't say anything to those either.
Posts: 1711 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
Since I think the religiosity inherent in most usage of "bless you" is nonexistent I think it's as appropriate for an atheist to say as a devout believer.
Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Darth_Mauve
Member # 4709

- posted      Profile for Darth_Mauve   Email Darth_Mauve         Edit/Delete Post 
I have the perfect answer.

When some one sneezes you...

throw your hands up in the air and yell..."SWINE FLU!! SWINE FLU!!! You fool, you've doomed us all." then run out of the room screaming.

Posts: 1941 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Since I think the religiosity inherent in most usage of "bless you" is nonexistent I think it's as appropriate for an atheist to say as a devout believer.
On one hand, I think the ubiquity of "bless you" is so low on the list of things that I have an issue with in American society that it may as well be non-existant... on the other hand, for the average person, saying "One Nation Under God" or "In God We Trust" or any one of a number of common religious rituals is meaninglessly secular, but when you add them all together it does create an environment where religion is omnipresent in a way that is somewhat frustrating.

There are far more important issues (in particular those that are reinforced by government) but I don't think it's unreasonable for an atheist to feel slighted by the custom.

Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I sometimes say "I still like you" when people sneeze. Other times I just say "salud".
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Darth_Mauve
Member # 4709

- posted      Profile for Darth_Mauve   Email Darth_Mauve         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a similar problem.

I do magic shows for birthday parties. One trick that has made it in to some of my shows is a Rabbit trick with a small fake rabbit.

I explain that the rabbit lives in this box. Its called a Hutch.

A Hutch is also the name of a piece of furniture that your parents may have to hold the good dishes they won't let you eat off of.

There is a third type of Hutch, but you don't want to know about that.

(they scream Yes we do!. I reply "No you don't" They scream louder, "YES WE DO!")

Ok, Ok, I'll tell you.

Knock Knock.

(They respond) Who's there?

Hutch.

Hutch Who. (sounds like Achooo)

---the punch line is "Bless You", or "Gesundheit", or "Ooooh, yuck, you just sneezed all over me."

I felt uncomfortable with the non-secular "Bless you" since the kids I work with are from a varied religious background--Hindu to Hebrew etc.

I don't know if the kids say "Gesundheit" any more.

So unless I hear a better answer from you folks, I stick with the "Oh yuck."

Posts: 1941 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
I think if kids are sufficiently Americanized to get "knock - knock" jokes, they will get "bless you". I don't know about "gesundheit", I suspect that varies more from region to region.

II'm rather suprised to hear people concerned with the religiousity of saying "bless you". Do you also avoid saying good-bye because of its original religious meaning?

I'm living in an English speaking country that has a substantial population of Hindus, Muslims, Christians, Jews and just about everything else. When some one sneeze, people say "bless you" and no sees a problem with it.

Lighten up.

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hank
Member # 8916

- posted      Profile for Hank   Email Hank         Edit/Delete Post 
Whenever someone sneezes around me, I always make a high-pitched "ooh!" sound, expressing alarm. If they sneeze again, I repeat, only an octave higher. This gets hilarious if there's at least three sneezes and a child involved.
Posts: 368 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

Well, personally I don't have a problem with it, but I don't know if "lighten up" is helpful.

After all, I do recall some here having problems with stuff like 'God damnit' or 'Jesus Christ' used as curses in a secular context so it kinda cuts both ways.

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rollainm
Member # 8318

quote:
Originally posted by The Rabbit:
I think if kids are sufficiently Americanized to get "knock - knock" jokes, they will get "bless you". I don't know about "gesundheit", I suspect that varies more from region to region.

II'm rather suprised to hear people concerned with the religiousity of saying "bless you". Do you also avoid saying good-bye because of its original religious meaning?

I'm living in an English speaking country that has a substantial population of Hindus, Muslims, Christians, Jews and just about everything else. When some one sneeze, people say "bless you" and no sees a problem with it.

Lighten up.

Not sure if this was directed at anyone in particular, but this was never a life-altering thing for me. It was a minor decision of mine that I thought might make an interesting topic. Just because someone is contemplating or discussing a not-so-important topic in detail doesn't mean they're getting all uptight over it.

Honestly, I think if anyone needs to "lighten up" it's those who have a significant problem with what I say or don't say when they sneeze.

Posts: 1945 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rollainm
Member # 8318

quote:
Originally posted by Noemon:
I sometimes say "I still like you" when people sneeze. Other times I just say "salud".

Heh. That's awesome.

I did say "gesundheit" for some time, but believe it or not I've actually had many people ask me what it means.

rollainm
Member # 8318

quote:
Originally posted by The White Whale:
I don't say anything. What makes a sneeze all that different from a burp, cough, or fart? I don't say anything to those either.

I guess that's pretty much how I feel about it.

quote:
Originally posted by scifibum:

That's a valid point, too. I'm not searching for a universal rule here, though. Ultimately I say just go with whatever you're comfortable with.
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
What's the antonym of "lighten" meaning to make heavier? Heavyen?
Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
I used to mix in salud or gesundheit growing up just for fun. Then at some point after I became an atheist i though about it more consciously and decided that I didn't want to use bless you. Then I realized some time later that I still say jesus christ and god damn it, and so what's the difference? The words aren't used to mean what they used to mean. So now I use all of them again.

This reminds me of the south park where they get the word "fag" changed in the dictionary to mean "loud annoying harley riders".

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

The secular use of "Jesus" is an interesting point, although I'm not sure which side it supports. I know plenty of people who are offended by the casual use of Jesus as a swear word. You could either say that it's all secularized and nobody should care, or you could say that everyone should be sensitive about offending other people. You could also make the point that Jesus being used as a swear word is genuinely offensive to a Christian in a way that saying "God Bless" isn't as (directly) offensive to an atheist.

Dunno. Huh.

Mucus
Member # 9735

I had that partly in mind.
I figure that there are two consistent ways of handling the situation. First, whether you're a Christian or an atheist, if you want people to be considerate of saying "Jesus" or "bless you" then you should be considerate toward other people. The second is the "nothing is sacred" approach, you're free to say anything and so is everyone else.

I personally adhere to the second school so I would find it hypocritical to find offence in something as irrelevant as "bless you."

That said, that wasn't really my main point. I was just pointing on a practical level, "lighten up" is the kind of thing that gets people's hackles up even if the issue is as minor as this.

The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
I guess I just don't know any Christians who say "bless you" after a sneeze with a sense of reverence or who would consider it a prayer. Its just an expression we use in polite discourse. The fact that it has some religious origin is irrelevant. Maybe I'm out of touch and lots of people say this with genuine religiosity, but I doubt it.

I don't care whether you say anything at all when I sneeze. I'm a bit surprised that you feel like people are offended if you don't say something when they sneeze. It's not a habit I've ever practiced and I haven't noticed anyone taking offense and I know more than enough people who are willing to speak out when they are offended. If there are in fact people who take offense at your silence, they do need to lighten up.

Right now I'm living in a country with much higher religious diversity than the US and much greater religious tolerance than the US. What I've learned from living here is that Americans really need to lighten up about religion.

Christians need to lighten up and recognize that they aren't an endangered and persecuted minority. They have plenty of ways to express their religion freely without demanding time in public schools and prayers at football games. Athiests need to recognize that exposure to religiosity isn't the equivalent of breathing second hand smoke.

And if my telling you to "lighten up" raises your hackles, lighten up.

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
I made a conscious decision to stop saying "bless you" about two years ago. Likewise, this is because I was an atheist who wasn't quite comfortable with the religious overtones.

I switched to "gesundheit", which appears to mean "to your health". I'm much more comfortable with that.

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Darth_Mauve
Member # 4709

This is the problem.

Its not that I dislike using the "Bless you" phrase.

Its that I don't want someone else to be disturbed by using the "Bless you" phrase.

Its not the Evangelical protecting the sacredness of Blessings that makes me hesitate.

Its the rabid Atheist who worries me. I don't want a parent complaining, or yelling, or exploding, that I fouled their child's faith-free lifestyle with religious ideology. So the question isn't to the faithful if "Bless You" is ok. The question goes to the Atheists in our midsts.

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Speaking as an Atheist in the Mist, I am not remotely offended by "bless you" when I sneeze.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Mucus:
I had that partly in mind.
I figure that there are two consistent ways of handling the situation. First, whether you're a Christian or an atheist, if you want people to be considerate of saying "Jesus" or "bless you" then you should be considerate toward other people. The second is the "nothing is sacred" approach, you're free to say anything and so is everyone else.

I personally adhere to the second school so I would find it hypocritical to find offence in something as irrelevant as "bless you."

That said, that wasn't really my main point. I was just pointing on a practical level, "lighten up" is the kind of thing that gets people's hackles up even if the issue is as minor as this.

I try to adhere to a combination of both when engaging in conversation that is meant to be polite - greetings, condolences, good wishes, and so forth. I try to be considerate of their wishes while not getting too bent if they lacking malice fail to consider mine.

Rollainm, my fall back would be, "Oh dear, I hope you aren't coming down with something." Or if they clearly have, "You poor thing. Can I get you anything?" or "Why the h*** are you at work?"

Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.