FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Mayfly: Help Locating a Short Story

Author Topic: Mayfly: Help Locating a Short Story
anonymous
Member # 486

- posted      Profile for anonymous           Edit/Delete Post 
There was a short story I read maybe ten years ago. I don't remember the author or the title, but I think title was the name of the main character. The story is about a prisoner of war held in a small base that doesn't really see any combat and has only the one prisoner. The prisoner isn't very smart-- kind of a sweet, naive country boy. The guards don't really guard him, and he obviously considers himself to be friends with his captors, doing considerate things for them, washing, mending, helping out and such. Then the guards get a command that they are to put their prisoner to death. They try to get him to "escape," but he refuses to leave because they are all friends and his friends would never kill him. In the end, they do kill him, and they feel guilty about it and blame him for not running away, for trusting them. Does anyone know this story or where I can find it?
Posts: 54 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Darth_Mauve
Member # 4709

- posted      Profile for Darth_Mauve   Email Darth_Mauve         Edit/Delete Post 
The Crito by Plato. Its a bit older than 10 years but similar stuff happens.
Posts: 1941 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anonymous
Member # 486

Funny. But no.
Posts: 54 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dobbie
Member # 3881

- posted      Profile for Dobbie           Edit/Delete Post 
Do you happen to know what war it was?
Posts: 1794 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anonymous
Member # 486

I really don't. Possibly World War Two? I think it took place in Italy?

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.