FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Villains telegraphing their villainy

Author Topic: Villains telegraphing their villainy
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
So last night we watched Castle, which I just love. But what irked me was that for the umpteenth time (and not just on Castle), the moment I saw the face of the guilty party, I knew who it was. Not because of anything the character said or did; it was just a feeling. But that feeling has like a 90%+ success rate.

Since I'm not psychic, I figure the actors are telegraphing it. They know they're the bad guy, and it just becomes part of who they think they're playing. And it comes out in their body language, facial expressions, etc.

Has anyone else had this experience?

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure it's the actors telegraphing it as, well, even a rare TV viewer has seen plenty of TV and films most likely, and you sort of get a feel for the order of presentation kind of thing.

And of course there are some actors who get tapped to portray villains disproportionally, so when faced with them you can't rely on your guess being completely objective.

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
Reminds me of these two:
http://www.jmsnews.com/msg.aspx?id=1-8430
quote:
I think it did add a small note of somberness and foreshadowing to the S5
performances of a few cast members, which is why I had previously avoided
letting them know too much, to avoid the trap of having them play the result
instead of the process. It happens.

http://www.jmsnews.com/msg.aspx?id=1-10809
Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
paigereader
Member # 2274

- posted      Profile for paigereader   Email paigereader         Edit/Delete Post 
My mom saw the first 10-15 of the Usual Suspects and blurts out who it is! She does read and watch lots of mysteries so I chalk it up to that.
Posts: 204 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by Mucus:
Reminds me of these two:
http://www.jmsnews.com/msg.aspx?id=1-8430
quote:
I think it did add a small note of somberness and foreshadowing to the S5
performances of a few cast members, which is why I had previously avoided
letting them know too much, to avoid the trap of having them play the result
instead of the process. It happens.

http://www.jmsnews.com/msg.aspx?id=1-10809
Exactly. Though Rakeesh might be right, too. Sometimes they'll give too much visibility to someone who shouldn't be more than a side character, and that tends to give things away. And I definitely watch too much TV.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
True, it is probably not an either or thing.
Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
My mom saw the first 10-15 of the Usual Suspects and blurts out who it is! She does read and watch lots of mysteries so I chalk it up to that.
I knew right from the start as well. Probably because I saw it much later than when it was made, and had been already very familiar with the actor's other roles.
Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Xavier:
quote:
I knew right from the start as well. Probably because I saw it much later than when it was made, and had been already very familiar with the actor's other roles.
I wonder if that is what I did subconsciously as well. I figured it out in like the first 10-15 minutes as well, yet I didn't feel like the movie was being obvious.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I often know who the villain is because they're the only new character we've seen a lot of but who doesn't seem to serve a purpose in the plot.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clive Candy
Member # 11977

- posted      Profile for Clive Candy           Edit/Delete Post 
You can often spot who the villain is by applying the law of economy of characters.
Posts: 532 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
Same goes for props. I knew as soon as it was mentioned that the (not saying it because of spoilers but you know) would be a plot point.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

Chekov's gun. True, I guess it can apply to characters as well.
Lisa
Member # 8384

But I think sometimes it really is the actor. Like someone will get killed, and the police/detectives/whoever will talk to the victim's parents/friends/etc. And one person among those being talked to will give a vibe like, "Hey, I'm a bad guy. Watch me."
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
I know what Lisa is talking about, but I actually usually have a hard time identifying the villain in a dedicated mystery show. Maybe I'm just not as savvy, but there's usually so many people deliberately trying to look like viable suspects that apart from the most blatantly obvious (and therefore wrong) options, I have a hard time identifying them.
Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.