FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » iPod Car Adapter Help (mayfly)

Author Topic: iPod Car Adapter Help (mayfly)
krynn
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for krynn   Email krynn         Edit/Delete Post 
My sister just got a new car and gave me her old Accord. My old car had a tape deck so I had the tape adapter for my iPod. The new Accord doesn't have a tape deck. I'm looking at the iRadio and similar products. Any suggestions/recommendations?
Posts: 813 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheGrimace
Member # 9178

- posted      Profile for TheGrimace   Email TheGrimace         Edit/Delete Post 
I had reasonably good luck with the fm xmiter I got a few years back (I think it was a Belkin of some sort that I ordered with my ipod). My one point of warning is that depending on where she lives it may not work perfectly. Since I live in LA every frequency that the transmitter can dial in has either a full-blown radio station or enough bleed over that it can't overpower.

That being said, I'm pretty sure that's going to be limited to something like LA, NY, Chicago, SF... and as soon as I get out of the LA area it quickly becomes very usable. (also note: other builds may be powerful enough that this isn't a problem)

Posts: 1038 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a Belkin FM transmitter, and I'm in the Chicago burbs. I have one station near home I can use with it, but when I get close to my parents' place, I have to switch. There's that many low-power stations (mostly high schools) in the area. However, once I find a station I can hijack, it's wonderful.
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
solo
Member # 3148

- posted      Profile for solo   Email solo         Edit/Delete Post 
I bought a cheap FM transmitter ($10) and from what I've heard, it works as well or better than the much more expensive Belkin ones. I haven't had any major problems using it in a few large cities (Edmonton, Calgary, and Seattle). I do have to change it's frequency about half way between Edmonton and Calgary due to some interference.
Posts: 1336 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
weird follow up question. I have a fm transmitter that plugs into my cigarette lighter. When I accelerate I hear a whining sound. I heard that it was something called a ground loop.

I heard there are things that are called ground loop filters that you can plug into your iphone and then into your device, but wasn't sure if that would work on the FM transmitter. The transmitter connects to my phone via the dock on the bottom, so I wouldn't think any filter that plugged into the headphone jack and then into the 3.5 in port of the device would do anything.

Does anyone else have any ideas of what do to?

Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattP
Member # 10495

- posted      Profile for MattP   Email MattP         Edit/Delete Post 
The ground loop filter goes between the power source and the device you want to filter on. In the case of a cigarette lighter adapter you'd need to install it inside the dash in the wiring that leads to the cigarette lighter output.

Higher quality FM adapters will include filtering circuitry to minimize the effect of electrical noise from the engine.

Posts: 3275 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
solo
Member # 3148

- posted      Profile for solo   Email solo         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lupus:

I heard there are things that are called ground loop filters that you can plug into your iphone and then into your device, but wasn't sure if that would work on the FM transmitter. The transmitter connects to my phone via the dock on the bottom, so I wouldn't think any filter that plugged into the headphone jack and then into the 3.5 in port of the device would do anything.

It sounds like you are saying you have a 3.5 inch input on your stereo. If that is the case, I would skip the FM transmitter and plug directly into that line with a male/male 3.5 inch wire. You could still use the FM transmitter as a charger but switch to the aux input on your deck for the sound.
Posts: 1336 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
no, sadly I don't have a input on my stereo. There is one on the FM adapter. In addition to the dock it has, there is a 3.5 inch input. But since you don't need it for listening to music (the music goes through the dock to the fm receiver) I don't see how it could help.

Though, installing something inside my dash sounds like a real pain. I'm not one of those people that needs to take a car in to get a headlamp or break light changed, but I'm hardly a mechanic.

Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.