FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Guess the school: More than 50% of all undergraduate marks are now As (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Guess the school: More than 50% of all undergraduate marks are now As
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
Just in time for Finals Week

quote:
For the first time in recent memory, the majority of grades Brown students received last year were A's, according to data from the Office of Institutional Research.

The proportion of A's given increased to 50.6 percent in 2007-08, 1.1 percent higher than the previous year and a new peak for a figure that has risen significantly over the last decade. Since the 1994-95 academic year, the proportion of A's given has increased 15.8 percent.

According to the data, students in humanities, social science and life science classes all receive A's at least 50 percent of the time, with only physical science professors giving out fewer than half A's - 47.1 of physical science students received top marks last year. The percentage of A's awarded is up across all disciplines in the last 10 years.

So I went to the wrong school?

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tstorm
Member # 1871

- posted      Profile for Tstorm   Email Tstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
The more desperate the school is for money, the more pressure the administration exerts on the faculty to help retain the students.

At my workplace, we actually have a staff member whose sole purpose is retention. He works with faculty, coaches, and students to keep the students on-track. It's amazing how much it helps the school. If we keep students for longer, they're taking more credits, and that's more money for the budget.

I'm not passing judgment on the system, here. I consulted the retention guy multiple times for some students in the class I taught this semester. It probably made a difference for a couple of students.

Now, whether the students can get up off their collected butts for the next classes they take, that is up to them...

Posts: 1813 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
I imagine this is true at many schools. "Grade inflation" is a rather appalling phenomena, I think. Students will drop courses if it looks like they mightn't get a A. I am old enough to remember when a B was a respectable grade.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by kmbboots:
I am old enough to remember when a B was a respectable grade.

So am I!
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Nu; my cousin once defended his lowest passing grade by saying that "2 is a quite acceptable mark".
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dabbler
Member # 6443

- posted      Profile for dabbler   Email dabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
My guess is that while the S/NC ratio hasn't changed over the years, students have gotten better at choosing which classes to take S/NC. The article states that ~19% of the class grades are "Satisfactory." You can take any class S/NC at Brown. There are certainly people who take all their classes for grades, and others who take all their classes S/NC. But I have a feeling the majority mix and match to optimize their results. IIRC, you can change your status of grades vs S/NC until about a month into the class.
Posts: 1261 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

Back in the olden days, a C was an average grade for most classes. There were about as many Bs as Ds and as many Fs as As. By the time I was in school in the not-quite-so-olden days, this had shifted up a bit so the average was about a B- and some effort was made to keep the failures to a minimum.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dabbler
Member # 6443

For the last ~40 years or so, Brown hasn't had D's or F's. If you receive a value under a C, you receive a "no credit" which is the equivalent of having never taken the class. From what I recall, a no credit stays on internal records but is not reflected on external transcripts.
Posts: 1261 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

Brown was an innovator in the grade inflation biz.
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, as we all know, it's innovation that drives productivity increases. I bet Brown is producing more A grades per man-hour worked than any of its competitors. You're not against production, are you?
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by dabbler:
For the last ~40 years or so, Brown hasn't had D's or F's. If you receive a value under a C, you receive a "no credit" which is the equivalent of having never taken the class. From what I recall, a no credit stays on internal records but is not reflected on external transcripts.

Is this something that is becoming more common these days? My school did the same thing which resulted in my having to take Ecology twice (though the second time around, the class was held in a brighter classroom and featured alot less video-watching which I think really made the difference.) But my college was...odd, which is the nicest way I can put it. Its certainly not a grading system that any of my friends at other schools ever had to put up with.
Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dabbler
Member # 6443

My perception was that Brown's approach to classes was considered non-traditional. I don't know if other institutions have taken a similar stance. Every once in a while there's a surge among the students to become stricter (such as dropping the pass/no-credit option).
scholarette
Member # 11540

- posted      Profile for scholarette           Edit/Delete Post 
The school I got my master's at let you sign up for a class pass fail. You then could go in to the registrar's office, find out your grade and if you liked it, switch it back to normal grades. I thought that was pretty cheesy.
Posts: 2223 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by dabbler:
My perception was that Brown's approach to classes was considered non-traditional.

It is.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

- posted      Profile for MidnightBlue   Email MidnightBlue         Edit/Delete Post 
Professors at my school will get in trouble if they give out too many A's. They can also get in trouble for giving out too many F's, which leads to a revolving door for professors teaching intro math classes.
Posts: 1547 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by scholarette:
The school I got my master's at let you sign up for a class pass fail. You then could go in to the registrar's office, find out your grade and if you liked it, switch it back to normal grades. I thought that was pretty cheesy.

At mine you could take your classes pass/fail or for credit, but it applied to all your classes, you couldn't pick and choose. You either had a GPA or not. The professors gave every student a one-page written evaluation at the end of the term whether they also got a letter grade or not, so it didn't save them any work that I could see.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
If retention is the goal, and Brown has improved its retention rate, I'm not sure I see a problem with it. The point is to teach, and for students to learn. Studies have shown that students will learn better if they are taught at a level where they can achieve mastery. Numerically, this generally means that students learn best when they can retain greater than 90% of the material covered. That equates to an A in most scales.

Bear in mind that pedagogy is always under development. Just because C was average in the past doesn't mean that's the way it should be.

Now some people refer to this as dumbing down education. But only 36 years ago, we didn't bother to provide education to a portion of our children because they were "uneducable," and many of those children now are educated through high school. If providing differentiated instruction at appropriate levels means that less capable students achieve at a higher level, I'm all for it.

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

What happens when they apply to grad schools (most of whom presumably will know about this policy)?
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
Who are you addressing your question to?
Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tara
Member # 10030

- posted      Profile for Tara   Email Tara         Edit/Delete Post 
My private high school in Baltimore had the same problem. So I wasn't crazy for getting upset over a B on a test...
Posts: 930 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fusiachi
Member # 7376

- posted      Profile for Fusiachi   Email Fusiachi         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tara:
My private high school in Baltimore had the same problem. So I wasn't crazy for getting upset over a B on a test...

No, you weren't crazy. You just performed worse than ~50% of the class. I should hope you'd be upset.
Posts: 433 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HollowEarth
Member # 2586

- posted      Profile for HollowEarth   Email HollowEarth         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. It amazes me that this actually makes more people want to go there.

Look I got my degree from a respectable diploma mill!

Posts: 1621 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
We were having a discussion in one of my classes the other day about how a prof of mine had a really great crop of students in one class, and the class average was like a B+. As a result, the prof went under a review process for suspected grade inflation.

According to university policy, any given class is expected to have a certain number of A's, B's and C's, and if those numbers vary, they investigate, as the teacher is either grading too hard, or too easy. I don't know what ended up happening, but I can't imagine she was grading too easy. She has a rep for being a tough grader.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dabbler
Member # 6443

It's kind of ridiculous to use the ratio of As, Bs, and Cs to figure out if a professor is grading too easily. If you teach a subject incredibly well, and 80% of the people taking the class learn the material incredibly well, then As would be appropriate. Vice versa, if you're teaching poorly you can still get an okay distribution of grades if your students are picking up the slack.

HollowEarth: There are a lot of reasons why Brown's curriculum works for education. Calling it a respectable diploma mill is undeservingly harsh.

rivka: letters of recommendation, resume, standardized test scores, and interviews just like any school. It's possible that colleges provide the grade distribution of every class you take, but I doubt it. How is an A in one class compared to an A in another class no matter what the college?

El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
My school had grade deflation. My upper level engineering professors pretty much never gave out A's, a point I was quick to make when they bitched at me for not applying to grad school.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
malanthrop
Member # 11992

- posted      Profile for malanthrop           Edit/Delete Post 
Brown is a university that is equivalent to little league tournaments that give trophies to all the teams. Brown is an affirmative action university that has almost lost it's accreditation on more than one occasion. They give grades based upon effort and class participation.
Posts: 1495 | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ace of Spades
Member # 2256

- posted      Profile for Ace of Spades           Edit/Delete Post 
You know what other school has a serious grade inflation problem? Yeshiva University.
Posts: 431 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

Brown has the 16th lowest acceptance rate of any school in the U.S. It's incredibly tough to get in in the first place. U.S. News ranking currently places it at the 16th best university in the U.S. Given that Brown is accredited 5 different ways, Malanthrop's statement that it "Almost lost its accreditation" sounds like he pulled it out of you know where.

Ace: See my previous post. Grade inflation is only a problem if you define it to be so. As to Rivka's question, for small no-name colleges, grade inflation can make it difficult for graduate schools to make informed decisions, that's true. But for a school with Brown's reputation, it's hardly an issue.

IIRC M.I.T. has a policy of no pass/fail for freshman, which was initially instituted to combat the number of mental breakdowns and suicides due to the high academic pressures of the school. Still, a lot of MIT students wash out in their first year due to academic demand. Pass/fail may be a better solution to the problem than grade inflation, since it places emphasis on learning rather than grading, and also because it only affects the first year, so students still get a GPA based on their grades in the following years.

[ December 19, 2009, 11:40 AM: Message edited by: Glenn Arnold ]

The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by malanthrop:
Brown is an affirmative action university that has almost lost it's accreditation on more than one occasion.

How did you come up with that? Brown is an Ivy League school and has among the highest admission standards in the nation. US News ranks it as the 16th best University in the country. The Times of London ranks it as the 31st best school in the world. Graduates of Brown have exceptional acceptance rates in law, business and medical school.

*ETA: Or what Glen said.

[ December 19, 2009, 11:46 AM: Message edited by: The Rabbit ]

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clive Candy
Member # 11977

- posted      Profile for Clive Candy           Edit/Delete Post 
Brown can get away with this because its students have high IQs. A regular good old state university can't have such a policy however because their student population isn't as bright and therefore will be more likely to be harmed by such a system.
Posts: 532 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
Clive's right on this one, even if "high IQ" is a bit simplistic. Brown, like other elite private schools, has very tough admission standards. You don't get into Brown unless you have already proven yourself to be a very bright, hard working, self motivated student.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Brown is a university that is equivalent to little league tournaments that give trophies to all the teams. Brown is an affirmative action university that has almost lost it's accreditation on more than one occasion. They give grades based upon effort and class participation.

For a non-racist, you bring up race an awful lot.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dantesparadigm
Member # 8756

- posted      Profile for dantesparadigm           Edit/Delete Post 
You can say what you will about my lovely university, but I'm pretty confident I earn the grades I get. I certainly wouldn't be nearly killing myself through sleep deprivation writing 140 pages worth of final papers for this semester if my professors were just going to hand out As like AOL disks.
Posts: 959 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
Rivka,

quote:
What happens when they apply to grad schools (most of whom presumably will know about this policy)?
They get in because quite a few people think this:

[quote]You don't get into Brown unless you have already proven yourself to be a very bright, hard working, self motivated student.[/quote

The people sitting on the admissions committee have an enormous stack of applications to wade through in addition to their own personal work to do and their teaching load. If they believe The Rabbit's quote is true, they've cut their workload in half. Everyone wins, except for the poor saps who didn't go to Brown. I'm a big believer that if you give busy people numbers-- I imagine the admissions committee all consider themselves very busy, junior faculty bucking for tenure and would really rather be home working on the book that's going to get them there or senior faculty who are too tired to think of the vagaries of specific institutional grade inflation-- they are going to use the numbers. If you give busy people rankings, they are going to use the rankings. "The Da Vinci Code" was a number one best seller, it must be a good book.

3.98 is a nice, high number. It's too easy to use the numbers and too hard not to. I don't blame Brown. The system works in their favor. If there is a problem, it's on the admissions side. There are too many administrators who believe that the system self-corrects. They are like myopic pre-2008 bankers in that respect. I'm not saying that it's a simple problem, and I don't know the answer. But I do believe that the problem is on the admissions side.

[ December 19, 2009, 05:10 PM: Message edited by: Irami Osei-Frimpong ]

Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
As a student at Brown, I work really hard. For a pharmacology class I recently took, we easily went over two hundred drugs. That said, another course I took was fairly easy to get a good grade just by showing up and doing minimal work. Some classes are easy, some are hard, but the general student body is mind-boggling awesome over all.

Yes, there is some grade inflation, but the school overall is top notch. And it's not like it's much different at Harvard.

Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ace of Spades
Member # 2256

quote:
Originally posted by Glenn Arnold:

Ace: See my previous post. Grade inflation is only a problem if you define it to be so. As to Rivka's question, for small no-name colleges, grade inflation can make it difficult for graduate schools to make informed decisions, that's true. But for a school with Brown's reputation, it's hardly an issue.

Yeshiva University doesn't have Brown's reputation.
Posts: 431 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Bullshit (again). Show me the proof of this.
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
andi330
Member # 8572

- posted      Profile for andi330           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know about all undergraduate programs, or all graduate programs, but this I do know. One of my professors in college told me that he sat for a time on the admissions board, and that grade inflation was such an issue in high schools across the country that GPA didn't count for much with them in terms of entrance. Certainly if it was exceptionally lousy it would likely to prevent you from getting in, but mediocre and exceptional GPAs were largely discounted. Far more weight was given to teacher recommendations and SAT/ACT scores in the decision making process. Many of us also had actual interviews with one or more professors before admission, and music students (like myself) had auditions that had to be passed.

I just got into a graduate program (I start in January) and while I don't know as much about their admissions process (what weighs more heavily etc) I do know that I did not meet their required minimum for undergraduate GPA. I was about .2 short of their expectation. I got in anyway, first attempt. I suspect that my teacher (and supervisor) recommendations helped quite a bit. I know it also would not have hurt that my GRE scores were almost a full 300 points higher than the required minimum.

Posts: 1214 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

Ace: I was referring to the previous previous post. A university's reputation is only important with respect to getting into graduate school or getting a job. I was referring to pedagogical advancements.
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by The Rabbit:
You don't get into Brown unless you have already proven yourself to be a very bright, hard working, self motivated student.

That's fair. And makes a fair bit of sense. I do wonder about a graduate admissions committee deciding between a candidate from another highly competitive school and one from Brown, both with college GPAs of say, 3.8. But that's a theoretical question, and may not come up that often in reality in most fields.
King of Men
Member # 6684

quote:
For a pharmacology class I recently took, we easily went over two hundred drugs.
I must say that this does not strike me as work, exactly.

[Big Grin] [Razz]

Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

quote:
Yeshiva University doesn't have Brown's reputation.
Actually, Yeshiva is ranked 52nd in U.S. News' listing of top U.S. universities, compared with Brown's 16th. Brown may be ranked better, but they are in the same order of magnitude.
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
King of Men:

It becomes work when you're discussing minute differences in different classes of, say, Na+ channel blockers in treating heart failure, and each of which can kill someone in interesting and different ways that have to do with slight conductivity differences.

Or memorizing the exact receptor differences between 10 drugs that all end in "lol": atenolol, propranolol, metoprolol, labetalol - LOL!

[Smile]

Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ace of Spades
Member # 2256

The chairman and editor-in-chief of U.S. News is Mortimer Zuckerman.
rivka
Member # 4859

And he attended (says Wikipedia) McGill, Wharton, and Harvard. So if he has any connection to YU, it's not a direct one.

Or are you trying to claim that every Jew promotes YU?

Ace of Spades
Member # 2256

He's Jewish? It's funny you should bring up his religion in a thread about academics.
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

FWIW, I hadn't meant to start a discussion of Brown's merits as an Ivy League university when I started this thread.

I'd always thought that when graduate adcoms look at your resume, they take your undergraduate college's reputation into account.

quote:
"I don't think there's anything wrong with saying that 50 percent of Brown students are doing A-level work," she said.
How do you define "A-level work"? I'm used to thinking of your grade as reflective of your performance relative to the rest of the class, not necessarily related to how a student at another school might perform.
quote:
It's kind of ridiculous to use the ratio of As, Bs, and Cs to figure out if a professor is grading too easily. If you teach a subject incredibly well, and 80% of the people taking the class learn the material incredibly well, then As would be appropriate.
I've just finished a class where the cutoff for an A was (probably) in the high sixties, because the overall test average in the mid-fifties. I understand that. You could probably argue that nobody mastered the course material. Most faculty at my university will not curve an entire class' grades downward if students are doing exceptionally well. I understand that, too, but (with certain exceptions) the class will get harder next semester.

I'm completely aware that the given statistic is an average across all majors, all class years, and all classes. I imagine that there are required classes in which nearly every student gets an A simply because it's an easy pre-req that simply has to be attended and completed.

So if an A represents mastery of the course material, and 80% of students were routinely acing a given class, then I'd naturally wonder about the difficulty of the course requirements and what exactly quantifies mastery of it. I can say with a fair amount of confidence that 80% mastery simply doesn't happen very often in college level classes, no matter the school. Maybe that class -- like the pre-reqs I mentioned above -- might as well be graded on Pass/Fail basis.

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Ace of Spades:
He's Jewish? It's funny you should bring up his religion in a thread about academics.

You brought up his religion. Or was there some other reason you emphasized his last name?
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by James Tiberius Kirk:
I'd always thought that when graduate adcoms look at your resume, they take your undergraduate college's reputation into account.

If the grad school is at all competitive, of course they will.
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
quote:
Originally posted by James Tiberius Kirk:

If the grad school is at all competitive, of course they will.
So which becomes more important: undergraduate selectivity, or a average graduating GPA?

--j_k

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.