FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » R.I.P. Brittany Murphy (UPDATE: Murphy's Husband Dies) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: R.I.P. Brittany Murphy (UPDATE: Murphy's Husband Dies)
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rumors say heart attack.

See last post for husband update link.

[ May 24, 2010, 12:37 PM: Message edited by: Valentine014 ]

Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heart attack at 32 doesn't simply mean heart attack, usually.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As I said on twitter this morning, I bet it was precipitated by anorexia.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by El JT de Spang:
As I said on twitter this morning, I bet it was precipitated by anorexia.

Aggravated by a combination of stimulants and opioids is my guess. This is indeed a sad pattern among celebrities.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's possible, too, but less likely. In my totally uninformed opinion. She's married, and never had a rep as a party girl.

She was perilously thin, though, especially for her frame and when compared to when she was in her teens.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, you don't have to got to parties to get addicted to opiates- Michael Jackson didn't have parties, and by the time he died he had graduated to surgical grade anesthetics.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sinflower
Member # 12228

- posted      Profile for sinflower           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
She also had a history of diabetes.
Posts: 241 | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

True, although in Michael's case I think we'll find that that happened because he had so many freaking procedures done.
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
didn't she just get fired from a movie a few weeks ago
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dobbie
Member # 3881

- posted      Profile for Dobbie           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's really unfair to be speculating about this at all.
Posts: 1794 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or at least pretty distasteful.
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Right but when I read about this on twitter I assumed it was like RIP Kanye, talking about her career and not her life. Since I remembered something about her getting fired recently.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

quote:
True, although in Michael's case I think we'll find that that happened because he had so many freaking procedures done.

No, that happened because he was an addict and he surrounded himself with enabling people, including doctors. The surgeries stemmed from and were a part of the addiction, not the other way around.
Orincoro
Member # 8854

quote:
Originally posted by Dobbie:

No, when someone dies in what are clearly not normal circumstances, it is, in my opinion, an unhealthy impulse to keep our mouths shut about our suspicions for fear of "speaking ill of the dead." Especially if this woman did indeed suffer from a disorder of some sort, that has to be confronted as a real possibility, rather than something distasteful and which we'd rather not discuss. These are diseases we are talking about, not the morality of the recently deceased. You would not get up in arms if we were speculating about whether it was an aneurysm or cancer- so think of bulimia and drug addiction as similar disease states.
Dobbie
Member # 3881

- posted      Profile for Dobbie           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No. If someone you know possibly has a disorder of some sort then there may be some benefit to confronting it. Now you're just using her death as fodder for your entertainment.
Posts: 1794 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We live in an era of Action Forensics Drama on network television. Death is speculated upon casually. In the case of celebrities, unstoppably so.
Posts: 15417 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
No, when someone dies in what are clearly not normal circumstances, it is, in my opinion, an unhealthy impulse to keep our mouths shut about our suspicions for fear of "speaking ill of the dead."
Except you really have no idea whether the circumstances were normal or not, do you? Statistically speaking, it certainly was abnormal, but maybe there were some specifics in her life that make this normal as well, without the stigma of drug addiction or mental health problems entering into things at all.

Maybe she had a heart attack because she was poisoned by a rival actor or actress, who knows? Are drug addiction or anorexia or bulimia 'real possibilities'? Well, obviously. But in the complete absence of evidence, it's unreasonable and unfair to speculate as to the cause of death.

Especially since, unfortunately, I'm sure we'll be neck deep in tabloid news all about it very soon anyway, so why not just wait 24 hours or so for some real facts to come in?

quote:
We live in an era of Action Forensics Drama on network television. Death is speculated upon casually. In the case of celebrities, unstoppably so.
That speculation will happen is unstoppable, of course. That it is definitely, unavoidably going to happen on an individual level is a very different thing, and quite untrue. It won't stop, it's not unstoppable.
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DDDaysh
Member # 9499

- posted      Profile for DDDaysh   Email DDDaysh         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have no idea who this woman was, and really don't care enough to even google to find out.

However, just because someone is dead does not automatically make above reproach. Even if it is just for entertainment, what is the harm in online speculation? It's not like anyone was saying this stuff to her grieving family.

Posts: 1321 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fyfe
Member # 937

- posted      Profile for Fyfe   Email Fyfe         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was sad when I read this! I loved her so much in Clueless. [Frown]
Posts: 910 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

quote:
No. If someone you know possibly has a disorder of some sort then there may be some benefit to confronting it. Now you're just using her death as fodder for your entertainment.

You aren't in a position to know whether I am entertained by such things. I am not.
Orincoro
Member # 8854

quote:
Originally posted by Rakeesh:
quote:
No, when someone dies in what are clearly not normal circumstances, it is, in my opinion, an unhealthy impulse to keep our mouths shut about our suspicions for fear of "speaking ill of the dead."
Except you really have no idea whether the circumstances were normal or not, do you? Statistically speaking, it certainly was abnormal, but maybe there were some specifics in her life that make this normal as well, without the stigma of drug addiction or mental health problems entering into things at all.

Maybe she had a heart attack because she was poisoned by a rival actor or actress, who knows? Are drug addiction or anorexia or bulimia 'real possibilities'? Well, obviously. But in the complete absence of evidence, it's unreasonable and unfair to speculate as to the cause of death.

You see it as unfair and unreasonable because drugs and bulimia are involved in the speculation. If it was between two non-stigmatized diseases, then you wouldn't be piping up, or at least fewer people would be. But you have to consciously choose to treat those diseases as no different in root cause than any other. Considering that the United States has been in something of a prescription drug abuse epidemic in this past decade, not to mention an even older problem of EDs, we need to be able and willing to talk openly about such things without feeding the stigma. Again, I don't consider it a moral issue, and though I make no definitive statements as of yet about what actually happened, since I don't know, I feel no compunction in stating that these are the likely culprits in such a case, barring less likely but possible explanations.

I think if 4 high school kids plow into a tree at 100 miles an hour at 3am on a friday night, everybody reiterates to themselves and neighbors the dangers of teen alcohol abuse- but maybe that 17 year old driver had a heart attack, or a seizure. I simply don't see it as crass to discuss these things in light of the circumstances. Quite the opposite, I find it distasteful that the media has spent so many years helpfully spouting euphemisms like the "heart attacks" of Elvis and Michael Jackson, to name only two infamous examples. Considering that these gossip mills like TMZ get everything about celebrities lives wrong while they're actually alive, the indignity of their deaths being treated like shameful reminders of low morals or personal weakness, rather than the effects of a disease state that is common, is much more insulting to me.

Now, what that all boils down to is that I think it's perfectly reasonable to voice my suspicion that a skeletally thin actress with a long series of personal and professional problems and disappointments, who lives in a community and in a profession infamous for a culture of elicit and prescription drug abuse and body image issues, who drops dead suddenly at the age of 32 after being fired from her most recent job, while her husband, himself recently hospitalized in bizarre circumstances, states that he does not wish an autopsy to be performed, while prescription medications were collected from the scene of the death, might have had a drug problem or an eating disorder. I don't think that's a crazy unreasonable leap to make. I find it quite reasonable. I will, of course, drop it completely if it turns out not to be true, but I see no harm, whatsoever, in stating it as a suspicion.

Rakeesh
Member # 2001

quote:
I will, of course, drop it completely if it turns out not to be true...
Then...why not wait? The truth will out in any event, and just as there isn't actually any harm being done to anyone here, there's certainly no benefit, either-or is this some sort of stance on equalizing drug addiction and bulimia in the public eye? Convoluted path to that goal if so.

quote:
Considering that the United States has been in something of a prescription drug abuse epidemic in this past decade, not to mention an even older problem of EDs, we need to be able and willing to talk openly about such things without feeding the stigma.
Well, that's begging the question, isn't it? We need to not feed the stigma because it isn't fair to stigmatize it. Not very compelling. But even if it was, saying, "It's distasteful to speculate like this before there are any facts at all," hardly 'feeds the stigma'. Note that the objections made were on speculating, not on discussing the matter at all.
Orincoro
Member # 8854

I'm not particularly interested in your opinion, to be honest. I was stating my reason, not inviting further discussion. You've been heard- we disagree.
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

Imagine my surprise.

Though there were quite a few persuasive-argument statements in that post for 'not inviting further discussion'.

Orincoro
Member # 8854

I'm sorry to have misled you. It's simply not something I think will be productive to talk about with you- especially considering the thrust of your argument was essentially that you didn't want me to say anything- so here you have it. Don't get pissy.
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

I'm certainly not being any pissier than you, Orincoro. I was just remarking that it was a strange time to say, "I don't want to talk about this," after talking about it at some length. And being curt almost to the point of rudeness doing so.

And, no, my argument was not that I didn't want you to say anything.

Orincoro
Member # 8854

quote:
quote:
I will, of course, drop it completely if it turns out not to be true...
Then...why not wait?
Yeah, no. Look, you convinced me that talking to you about this is not productive. I have finally learned this from you. You have finally succeeded. I hope that it is everything you hoped it would be.
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
That speculation will happen is unstoppable, of course. That it is definitely, unavoidably going to happen on an individual level is a very different thing, and quite untrue. It won't stop, it's not unstoppable.

Well there's also the part where on an individual level I don't see what's patently objectionable about it.
Posts: 15417 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

quote:
Yeah, no. Look, you convinced me that talking to you about this is not productive. I have finally learned this from you. You have finally succeeded. I hope that it is everything you hoped it would be.
Well, if you actually had 'learned that talking to me about this is not productive', perhaps I could decide whether or not it was everything I hoped it would be. But it doesn't appear you have, because you're still talking about it.

-----

quote:
Well there's also the part where on an individual level I don't see what's patently objectionable about it.
Well, sure-that's a different question, though.
andi330
Member # 8572

- posted      Profile for andi330           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Samprimary:
quote:

Here's what I find objectionable about it. The news media has clearly stated that the Coroner made a statement that she died of natural causes. There are any number of medical conditions that could have led to a death by natural causes for this young woman. Anything from a genetic disorder to some kind of cancer, yet all anyone is speculating about is drug use and eating disorders. Even the paparazzi hasn't started speculating about drug use or eating disorders as far as I can tell. Why is it that this forum is speculating about something even the paparazzi isn't? Until the coroner completes his autopsy and releases his findings, there's no reason to speculate. It could be a case of SADS (sudden arrhythmia death syndrome) for all we know.
Posts: 1214 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by andi330:
The news media has clearly stated that the Coroner made a statement that she died of natural causes.

The statement was actually far more vague than that. Anyway, at this point there's no way they can know that. Certain things can be ruled out by on-scene evidence (like that she wasn't killed with a blunt object); most will need a complete autopsy to rule out.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

Yeah, it's like I saw a news title attached to something on google saying essentially: "Brittany Murphy claimed by same sickness as Michael Jackson:... cardiac arrest." Oh, all the brave souls who have been claimed by the pernicious cardiac arrest.
theamazeeaz
Member # 6970

- posted      Profile for theamazeeaz   Email theamazeeaz         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Orincoro:
quote:

No, when someone dies in what are clearly not normal circumstances, it is, in my opinion, an unhealthy impulse to keep our mouths shut about our suspicions for fear of "speaking ill of the dead." Especially if this woman did indeed suffer from a disorder of some sort, that has to be confronted as a real possibility, rather than something distasteful and which we'd rather not discuss. These are diseases we are talking about, not the morality of the recently deceased. You would not get up in arms if we were speculating about whether it was an aneurysm or cancer- so think of bulimia and drug addiction as similar disease states.
It's crass. If you've ever personally known someone whose death caused speculation from strangers on the internet of any kind, you will know how just how crass it is.

Whatever you talk about on this site, you do so for your own entertainment. Just because the subject is death and disease, and you might not be laughing while typing doesn't mean it isn't entertainment for you.

Posts: 1757 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

quote:
quote:

No, that happened because he was an addict and he surrounded himself with enabling people, including doctors. The surgeries stemmed from and were a part of the addiction, not the other way around.
You're doing that thing again, where you act like you know something for sure when in actuality you're just guessing. Unless you'd care to source this?
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

quote:
quote:

The 'complete absence of evidence' for either anorexia or drugs? Really? I know hyperbole is fun, but that's just silly.
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

So you have some evidence that either anorexia or drug use caused or helped to cause her death?
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

I guessed anorexia because I have a brain and two eyes. I suppose Orin guessed drugs because of either the tabloid reportings of her drug problems or simply because it's always a good guess with young celebrities dying young.

Neither of those is hard evidence (which is why you'll notice we were both clear that we were speculating); neither is the 'complete absence of evidence' as you claimed. Absolutes are funny that way.

Orincoro
Member # 8854

quote:
Originally posted by theamazeeaz:

Whatever you talk about on this site, you do so for your own entertainment. Just because the subject is death and disease, and you might not be laughing while typing doesn't mean it isn't entertainment for you.

I'll remind you of your lack of mind reading powers, and ask you not to speculate on my personal motivations in this case. You are, as I've already stated, incorrect.
Orincoro
Member # 8854

quote:
You're doing that thing again, where you act like you know something for sure when in actuality you're just guessing. Unless you'd care to source this?

It's far from a guess. Jackson's death was ruled a homicide, and his personal physician is currently under investigation for manslaughter.

Linky. His autopsy showed large amounts of powerful anesthetics and benzodiazepines: propofol, lorazepam and midazolam. Propofol is a surgical drug used under general anesthesia, and the AP reported that Jackson was being administered these drugs on a regular basis to maintain sleep.

At the very least, that Jackson had a severe drug addiction is an educated guess. I think though, it's a near certainty. I also think that given the nature of the popular cultural denial of what drug addiction is and looks like, and given Jackson's estate and partners' financial motives for preserving his image and pretending his life was not an empty shell of despair for the last 10 years, which is what allowed him to spiral into hundreds of millions of dollars of debt, and surround himself with people who were perfectly willing to dose him with dangerous drugs to keep him docile and compliant, I think that, as in the case of Elvis, the proverbial 40 pound colon full of perscription medications will be overlooked in popular memory, and we'll be left with "heart attack." That, and Janis Joplin choked on a sandwich.

Rakeesh
Member # 2001

quote:
Neither of those is hard evidence (which is why you'll notice we were both clear that we were speculating); neither is the 'complete absence of evidence' as you claimed. Absolutes are funny that way.
In what way are either her weight or her reported drug problems evidence that that's what killed her, though, is my question? I didn't say you had no evidence she had anorexia, I said you had no evidence that that's what killed her. You have, in fact, no actual facts at all about her personal life, or at least you didn't mention any. Hell, you even acknowledged your own opinion as 'totally uninformed'.
Orincoro
Member # 8854

Oh be quiet- since when did you become the guardian of lost souls?
Samprimary
Member # 8561

quote:
Here's what I find objectionable about it. The news media has clearly stated that the Coroner made a statement that she died of natural causes. There are any number of medical conditions that could have led to a death by natural causes for this young woman. Anything from a genetic disorder to some kind of cancer, yet all anyone is speculating about is drug use and eating disorders. Even the paparazzi hasn't started speculating about drug use or eating disorders as far as I can tell. Why is it that this forum is speculating about something even the paparazzi isn't?
Um, both the paparazzi and the media world they fuel are openly speculating about it.

quote:
Until the coroner completes his autopsy and releases his findings, there's no reason to speculate.
'there's no reason to speculate' is entirely false. Hopefully I don't have to explain why?

quote:
So you have some evidence that either anorexia or drug use caused or helped to cause her death?

I think you're lacking perspective here. This isn't a court of law. Nobody here needs photo evidence or medical records to prove anything so that it can fulfill some standard of 'admissible internet speculation.'
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

quote:
Can't you go back to not wanting to talk about this with me? Well, actually, even when you said that, you didn't live up to it, so going back to it won't change much.

----

quote:
I think you're lacking perspective here. This isn't a court of law. Nobody here needs photo evidence or medical records to prove anything so that it can fulfill some standard of 'admissible internet speculation.'
It's strange to be accused of lacking perspective about this when I've never said or even suggested there was some requirement for speculation, Samprimary. All I said was, "Geeze, this is pretty distasteful considering there isn't any evidence that either anorexia or drug use were her cause of death, or contributed to it. Especially since just wait a few days and it'll all come out anyway."

In response to this I got some nonsense about how this speculation was actually some sort of service to drug addicts and anorexics, and now I'm accused of thinking there are some sort of actual requirements here.

Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd just like to point out that I've known three separate people, who were otherwise the picture of health, who died of sudden, unexplained cardiac arrest at a very young age. One of them was an Air Force Academy cadet who simply dropped dead during an intramural tennis game. All three were the result of a minor birth defect that went undetected till autopsy.
Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Jim-Me:
who were otherwise the picture of health

I think this is the key phrase.

Murphy most certainly was not.

Orincoro
Member # 8854

quote:
quote:
Can't you go back to not wanting to talk about this with me? Well, actually, even when you said that, you didn't live up to it, so going back to it won't change much.

Perhaps you should stop being a holier than thou gainsayer- in fact if you do, I bet *everybody* will stop talking about this.
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
That, and Janis Joplin choked on a sandwich.

That would be Mama Cass.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jim-Me:
I'd just like to point out that I've known three separate people, who were otherwise the picture of health, who died of sudden, unexplained cardiac arrest at a very young age. One of them was an Air Force Academy cadet who simply dropped dead during an intramural tennis game. All three were the result of a minor birth defect that went undetected till autopsy.

This happened to the 18 year old son of one of my colleagues. He dropped during a soccer game, and the only reason he survived is that one of the other players was a med student who did CPR until the ambulance arrived and they were very, very close to a hospital so they got him there fast. The doctors said there is about a 3% survival rate for that type of incident.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

quote:
It's strange to be accused of lacking perspective about this when I've never said or even suggested there was some requirement for speculation, Samprimary. All I said was, "Geeze, this is pretty distasteful considering there isn't any evidence that either anorexia or drug use were her cause of death, or contributed to it. Especially since just wait a few days and it'll all come out anyway."

Exactly. You're saying it's distasteful and objecting to it in a way that suggests that it shouldn't be done, and you are hinging it all on a proof requirement.
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

quote:
Perhaps you should stop being a holier than thou gainsayer- in fact if you do, I bet *everybody* will stop talking about this.
Well, I'm hardly inclined to take your word for that, having already said you weren't going to talk about this with me and then failed to do so repeatedly:)

----

quote:
Exactly. You're saying it's distasteful and objecting to it in a way that suggests that it shouldn't be done, and you are hinging it all on a proof requirement.
No, not 'proof requirement'. 'Evidence requirement', and it's obviously not a requirement that has any teeth. Certainly not a courtroom standard, which is what you were saying.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.