FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » USB 8 Track tape player?

Author Topic: USB 8 Track tape player?
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
There are all these gadgets out there that you can use to rip old music to your computer. USB turntables, USB cassette decks. My brother is the keeper of all things old and retro in the family, and he's been doing a great job of ripping vinyl that can't be gotten on CD. But he has some of our old 8 tracks, and has no way to rip them.

Does anyone here know of a gadget that will do this? He doesn't actually even have an 8 track player any more either, so we'd need something that includes that, or a place where we could get one cheap.

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, USB 8 track players are conspicuously absent from my Google results. So you have either discovered an untapped market with real profit potential, or you're one of the only people who wants to do this sort of thing. [Wink]

I think he would need to find a vintage player with line output. Then hook that to the line in jack on the computer's sound card, and record the audio using any number of programs.

Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
My dad has also been ripping old recordings, including 8-tracks. He used the line jacks, like scifibum suggests.

He had one tape that was waterlogged from a basement flood and eh was afraid to work with that one himself. He found a service in (I think) Des Plaines that he felt did a good job at copying the contents off. I was a little disappointed because he got a group of CDs with one long MP3 track on each disc, but because of the water damage, we ended up buying new digital copies of those songs for the project he was working on and just used the 8-track reproduction as a guide for what purchases needed to be made. I can get the name and phone number of that service for you, if you think he'd be interested.

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
I rip vinyl albums using line outputs from my stereo system. It works fine.

I have a friend who collects 8 tracks simply because they are cheap and music from the 70's and early '80s is plentiful, if you know where to look. He gets them, and the players, at garage sales. Check ebay or Craiglist, too.

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
What? Line output? And degrade the awesome fidelity of eight-track cassette? [Wink]
Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
Not to mention the value of archiving works of such cultural importance like the Bay City Rollers.
Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
adamdavsi
Member # 13733

- posted      Profile for adamdavsi   Email adamdavsi         Edit/Delete Post 
I like that
Posts: 3 | Registered: Aug 2018  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
Timely, and rich.
Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.