FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Right to Diagnostic Test?

Author Topic: Right to Diagnostic Test?
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
I've been doing a lot of research into ADHD. Three experts in the field collaborated and wrote a book based on their study, and they propose asking 9 specific questions as an initial diagnostic test for ADHD in adults.

Would I violate copyright I used those questions in a pamphlet I'm writing with attribution (Doctors Barkely, and so on, suggest using this quick diagnostic scan)? I'm guessing yes, but the questions seem to be almost verbatim the DSM-IV questions, and those you can copy - right? Still, that probably isn't excuse to use them.

Thanks! [Smile]

Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
NAL, but it seems probable unless permission for republication is granted in the original publication. You can quote the list for academic purposes, but probably not in the case of a pamphlet- why not just use the DSM questions if they are so similar?
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dabbler
Member # 6443

- posted      Profile for dabbler   Email dabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually they're probably both copyrighted. Screening questions are often a source of income for these folks, so they sell licenses of the questionnaires. Your best bet is to email the author and ask permission. Most likely they'll say no.
Posts: 1261 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
The DSM IV can be copied and reprinted with permission from the APA, which is not hard to get.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.