FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » An Alternate Universe Where The Beatles Accepted Lorne Michaels’ Generous Offer

Author Topic: An Alternate Universe Where The Beatles Accepted Lorne Michaels’ Generous Offer
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
This is very, very cool. Work safe, too.
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm. Interesting, and vaguely amusing.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
I do adore their portrayal of Ringo. Theoretical physics for the win!
Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
You should read Spider Robinson's Lifehouse. Particularly Chapter 2.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
That really is lovely.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

Yeah, I remember hearing about how they almost took him up on the spur of the moment....that much of the story was true.

I took a deep breath, and started wishing they had. This story reminded me of that moment.

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, the ending got a little weird. But as a Beatles fan who grew up in a world that didn't have John Lennon in it (I was five months old when he got killed), I found a lot of heartbreaking moments in there. It can be painful to think about the might-have-beens.
Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
The ending was, IMO, brilliant. It went from a simple "might-have-been" to a full-fledged story. [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

Yeah, I really liked it a lot. [Big Grin]
0Megabyte
Member # 8624

- posted      Profile for 0Megabyte   Email 0Megabyte         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh! That ending... hmm. I'm not sure what it means but is it, perhaps, a bit of time traveling going on there?
Posts: 1577 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

Yeah, I wasn't sure at first, but that's what it sounded like to me. [Big Grin]
Kwea
Member # 2199

Yeah, I wasn't sure at first, but that's what it sounded like to me. [Big Grin] I figured it was either that or he was having a complete mental breakdown.

Either way it worked well. [Wink]

TomDavidson
Member # 124

Yes. The plot is as follows: late in life, Ringo Starr discovers time travel (or is approached by someone who discovers time travel) and leaves notes for himself. He uses these notes to fix the greatest regrets of his life -- but still has regrets. He dedicates his fortune to theoretical physics, thus rediscovering time travel, and again goes back in time to leave still more notes for himself, on the grounds that he can keep doing this until he gets it "right."
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought the implication was that the first drummer left Ringo notes on what to fix. Now that Ringo time traveled to fix this reality's problems, a third drummer will join the band.
Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lisa:
You should read Spider Robinson's Lifehouse. Particularly Chapter 2.

Or his short story Rubber Soul.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.