FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » most awesome prank ever

Author Topic: most awesome prank ever
rollainm
Member # 8318

- posted      Profile for rollainm   Email rollainm         Edit/Delete Post 
This may have already been posted before. In fact, the more I think about it, I'd be surprised if it hasn't. It's pretty old. But a friend linked to it on facebook, so I thought I'd share.

P-P-P-PowerBook! (warning for mild language)

Posts: 1945 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The White Whale
Member # 6594

- posted      Profile for The White Whale           Edit/Delete Post 
I remember this from way back. My favorite part is the screen: "Txt Pad! Safari Internet Adventure! Haxor the Planet! @ What!? LOL !"

[ROFL]

Posts: 1711 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raventhief
Member # 9002

- posted      Profile for Raventhief   Email Raventhief         Edit/Delete Post 
A little disturbing that Jeff was not heard from post-response. Makes one wonder if the scammer had some confederates in the US.
Posts: 354 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Pfft. I don't think that part's for real. It was added for the "ghost story" value.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure I buy any of it. Between the mail and the international shipping the potential fraud charges are too risky to make it worth the stunt. That and the shipping charges that were conveniently paid by anonymous online donations.

Now the credit card prank may also have been untrue, but it was much funnier. Especially the credit card prank II (sensibilities alert).

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, I'm pretty confident the credit card prank is true. He's pretty much right about how the legalities work.

Of course, both it and the "p-p-p-powerbook" story are heavily dramatized, but I'm pretty sure the base story is true. I suspect that significant work went into verifying the recipient was himself a scammer before anything went forward. But there are numerous people who spend large amounts of effort pranking internet scammers, so the idea of the story isn't especially unbelievable.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh that's brilliant... I should go look up what my name is in Egyptian hieroglyphs just for that purpose.
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.