FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Bomb scare on a plane caused by Jewish religious "device"

Author Topic: Bomb scare on a plane caused by Jewish religious "device"
Armoth
Member # 4752

- posted      Profile for Armoth   Email Armoth         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qdw8gG9EwRs&feature=player_embedded

I wear Phylacteries (Not Olfactories) every day. It's always awkward putting them on when you're on a plane - the whole story is kinda funny to me. :-)

Posts: 1604 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dobbie
Member # 3881

- posted      Profile for Dobbie           Edit/Delete Post 
Nobody post here yet. I'm getting ready to make a phylacterie/prophylactic pun, but it's not quite there yet.
Posts: 1794 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Armoth:
I wear Phylacteries (Not Olfactories) every day.

Yeah, I thought that was a funny linguistic substitution. Also, the one on the head is in no way connected to the one on the arm. How would that even work? For those who don't know what they look like, see here. That gentleman is also wearing a talis (prayer shawl), which the 17-year-old almost certainly would not have been wearing. He probably looked more like this.

My son just started wearing them on Monday. [Big Grin]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Lich! Quickly we must smash the Phylactery or all is lost!
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dobbie
Member # 3881

Never mind. It's not coming.
Posts: 1794 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ace of Spades
Member # 2256

- posted      Profile for Ace of Spades           Edit/Delete Post 
That's what she said.
Posts: 431 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
Were you thinking something about the flight attendant being anti-phylactery instead of prophylactery?
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
quote:

Yeah, I thought that was a funny linguistic substitution. Also, the one on the head is in no way connected to the one on the arm. How would that even work? For those who don't know what they look like, see here. That gentleman is also wearing a talis (prayer shawl), which the 17-year-old almost certainly would not have been wearing. He probably looked more like this.

I'm not familiar with this practice (no reason I should be I suppose). What purpose does it serve?
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dobbie
Member # 3881

The boxes contain scrolls inscribed with verses from the Torah. They are worn on the arm and forehead in accordance with the commandment:
quote:
And it shall be for a sign unto thee upon thy hand, and for a memorial between thine eyes, that the law of the LORD may be in thy mouth; for with a strong hand hath the LORD brought thee out of Egypt.
Exodus 13:9.

King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
quote:
quote:

I'm not familiar with this practice (no reason I should be I suppose). What purpose does it serve?
It maintains a strong sense of outsider-ness (as witness today's incident), thus preserving the culture and religion in the face of persecution.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
More generously, it could just be an abortive attempt at creating an iPod Shuffle
Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Lisa:
Were you thinking something about the flight attendant being anti-phylactery instead of prophylactery?

*groan*

quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:

Deuteronomy 6:8

How it's done

Why it's done

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Very interesting. Thanks for the links rivka. [Smile]
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
airmanfour
Member # 6111

- posted      Profile for airmanfour           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lisa:

AAAAAnd Lisa wins.
Posts: 1156 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sala
Member # 8980

- posted      Profile for Sala           Edit/Delete Post 
Rivka, the picture you posted of what the 17 year old boy probably looked like, looks like the straps are really, really tight on the arm. Is that typical, or just how this particular person did them?

Also, thanks for the links. Very interesting to me, as well.

Posts: 315 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kale
Member # 6460

- posted      Profile for Kale           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Mucus:
More generously, it could just be an abortive attempt at creating an iPod Shuffle

Did you mean iGod Shuffle?
Posts: 11 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ace of Spades
Member # 2256

- posted      Profile for Ace of Spades           Edit/Delete Post 
Does that mean she went into anti-phylactic shock?
Posts: 431 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
He wasn't wearing them on his shoes or underpants, so obviously they weren't dangerous.
Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
I pray you all, stop punning!
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Armoth
Member # 4752

- posted      Profile for Armoth   Email Armoth         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sala:
Rivka, the picture you posted of what the 17 year old boy probably looked like, looks like the straps are really, really tight on the arm. Is that typical, or just how this particular person did them?

Also, thanks for the links. Very interesting to me, as well.

They're not usually too tight. Sometimes they leave a mark, kinda like a watch leaves a mark, but trust me, if it's too tight, you just wrap em around again so that they aren't.
Posts: 1604 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
Unless you like it that way
Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
My guess is that it wasn't that tight when he put them on. But that he put them on with his arm straight. When you bend your arm, it gets wider.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Sala:

I think Lisa is correct.

In general, as Armoth said, they are not wrapped very tightly.

Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Eaquae Legit:
I pray you all, stop punning!

You'll go blind!!
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sala
Member # 8980

- posted      Profile for Sala           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, y'all! (Lisa, Armoth, and Rivka) [Smile]
Posts: 315 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:

Yeah Also, the one on the head is in no way connected to the one on the arm. How would that even work?
Perhaps he didn't mean physically connected but rather that their use use was connected? Or perhaps the person who explained it to the security officer said their use was connected and the officer assumed they were physically connected?
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.