FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Pronoun future-tense-of-locate pronoun

Author Topic: Pronoun future-tense-of-locate pronoun
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, can we get this out of the system? The available pronouns are:

I, me, thou, thee, he, she, it, we, us, you, they, them.

These can be combined grammatically or not, eg "Me will find thou". Additionally there are multiple dialect terms, and the 'will find' can also be dialectified, as in "Oi'll finds youse alls". Can we please keep the various clever permutations of these terms to this thread, instead of spamming new ones?

Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
You missed her and him and left out the genative case altogether.

If you really want to simplify things. Go with Trini english.

I, me, you, he, she, we, they.

I will find she
She will find we
They will find he

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
Rabbit, I always get the cases confused. Her, him, I and they are accusative, his, hers, mine, and theirs genetive, right? Or am I on the totally wrong track? I'm slowly learning the Czech personal pronouns which come in 7 cases (though they are "folded" into 3 or 4), so this always confuses me. Me is nominative, I accusative, my locative/instrumental, mine genitive. Dative is folded into another case in Czech but I can't remember which. :Brain Asplodes:
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
Nominative == subject (I, he, she we)
Accusative == direct object (me, her, him, us)
Genative == possessive (my (mine), her(s), his, our(s), your(s)).
reflexive == (myself, yourself, ourself)

The other cases common in many indo/european languages include dative (indirect object), ablative, vocative, locative and instrumental. This are all declined the same as the accusative in English.

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

KOM also missed it and that.

If we limit ourselves to nominative and accusative declinations we have

I, me, thou, thee, he, him, she, her, it, that, you, we, us, they, them. (15 pronouns) which will gives 225 (169 if we leave out the archaic second person familiar) possible permutations of "pronoun will find pronoun".

If you include the 9 genative pronouns, there are 574 possible permutations.

[ January 26, 2010, 04:01 PM: Message edited by: The Rabbit ]

Sean Monahan
Member # 9334

- posted      Profile for Sean Monahan   Email Sean Monahan         Edit/Delete Post 
Shouldn't "ye" also be included?
Posts: 1080 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Plus dialect terms and attempts to be funny, as some would-be humorist - no names, no pack drill - has indeed attempted with 'wii'. Slapping his thighs with laughter, no doubt.

[ January 27, 2010, 12:54 PM: Message edited by: King of Men ]

Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Darth_Mauve
Member # 4709

- posted      Profile for Darth_Mauve   Email Darth_Mauve         Edit/Delete Post 
Sure, pronouns get all the press. What about the other side of the issue? What about the anti-nouns? Huh? We never hear about them. We never hear the truth, man, because its a big Pro-Noun Conspiracy.

But I know.

You can find the truth on the web.

You can find it on certain AM radio shows.

You just can't find it in the grammar books.

Nazi's are bad.

So Grammar Nazi's must be bad.

And they are the ones behind it all.

They are the ones trying to pretend that Anti-nouns don't exist.

The truth is out there, man. Long live the antinouns. Silence the mean old pronouns!!!!

Posts: 1941 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
KoM, please avoid calling people names. Whether mentioning who they are specifically or not, it is a violation of the ToS.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Darth_Mauve:
Sure, pronouns get all the press. What about the other side of the issue? What about the anti-nouns? Huh? We never hear about them. We never hear the truth, man, because its a big Pro-Noun Conspiracy.

Don't forget the neunouns. They are the most dangerous, ballistically speaking.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

- posted      Profile for Ron Lambert   Email Ron Lambert         Edit/Delete Post 
The word is "genitive" case. Not genative or genetive.

quote:
In grammar, the genitive case (abbreviated gen; also called the possessive case or second case) is the case that marks a noun as modifying another noun. It often marks a noun as being the possessor of another noun but it can also indicate various relationships other than possession; certain verbs may take arguments in the genitive case; and it may have adverbial uses (see Adverbial genitive). Modern English does not typically mark nouns for a genitive case morphologically – rather, it uses the apostrophe ’s or a preposition (usually of) – but the personal pronouns do have distinct possessive forms.
Link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genitive_case

In Koiné Greek, which provided much of the basis for the grammatical rules we try to impose on English (with varying degrees of success), the genitive and "ablative" cases were combined, giving nouns the same ending. Genitive usually conveyed the idea of possession: "of." Ablative usually conveyed the idea of "from."

Everything in modern English is so complicated and inconsistent, with two words for everything, because it is actually a train-wreck between Anglo-Saxon and Norman French, thanks to the Battle of Hastings in 1066.

[ January 27, 2010, 02:01 PM: Message edited by: Ron Lambert ]

Posts: 3742 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.