FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » J.D. Salinger dies at age 91

Author Topic: J.D. Salinger dies at age 91
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
Yahoo News: 'Catcher in the Rye' author J.D. Salinger dies

[ January 28, 2010, 01:26 PM: Message edited by: Nighthawk ]

Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't see why Love had to devote his obituary to an undergraduate essay on the cultural impact of Catcher in the Rye. It's Salinger's magnum opus, but he did do other work- his other books rate one line mentions, while we get a dozen paragraphs on his first.

Incidentally, I don't generally like these death threads so much, because it's not really *sad* for me to see that a man died in his 90s. Still I am saddened that this particular man was unwilling or unable to sustain his writing career in the public eye for all these years. Hopefully some good will come of his death in the form of whatever unpublished manuscripts or possible finished works that may be salvaged from his estate. Let us hope he didn't destroy too much of his work.

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
For someone who spent so much time protecting his work from outsiders, one would think he'd be hesitant to destroy his work. Besides, I read just today that recent visitors to his house saw stacks of handwritten notebooks. No idea what's in them.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Foust
Member # 3043

- posted      Profile for Foust   Email Foust         Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder if Zinn has any unpublished works?
Posts: 1515 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theamazeeaz
Member # 6970

- posted      Profile for theamazeeaz   Email theamazeeaz         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Orincoro:

Incidentally, I don't generally like these death threads so much, because it's not really *sad* for me to see that a man died in his 90s. Still I am saddened that this particular man was unwilling or unable to sustain his writing career in the public eye for all these years. Hopefully some good will come of his death in the form of whatever unpublished manuscripts or possible finished works that may be salvaged from his estate. Let us hope he didn't destroy too much of his work.

Well, I guess you can promote goofy obituaries like this one:

http://www.theonion.com/content/news/bunch_of_phonies_mourn_j_d

Posts: 1757 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, that's more in keeping with my attitude.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
'I think, even, if I ever die, and they stick me in a cemetery, and I have a tombstone and all, it'll say "Holden Caulfield" on it, and then what year I was born and what year I died, and then right under that it'll say "F*** you." I'm positive.'
Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AirLiteTimeSpace
Member # 12236

- posted      Profile for AirLiteTimeSpace           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Orincoro:
Hopefully some good will come of his death in the form of whatever unpublished manuscripts or possible finished works that may be salvaged from his estate. Let us hope he didn't destroy too much of his work.

Salinger, to my knowledge, was indeed unwilling to sustain his writing career. Therefore, unless he didn't care what came of his work after his death, I hope he destroyed it, or at least hid it well.
Posts: 5 | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.