FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Cheese reccomendations please

Author Topic: Cheese reccomendations please
T:man
Member # 11614

- posted      Profile for T:man   Email T:man         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok hatrack, I'd like to know what your favorite cheeses are and what cheeses you think would be a nice fit for me.

Personally I like soft,bland-ish, cheese, like Bree. As opposed to sharp hard cheese like chedder. I like cheese that you can spread over bread or crackers easily, without overpowering the taste of said bread/cracker. I also like the cheese to have taste, not sure what the name of it was, but I tried a cheese that tasted like milk an had the consistency of butter. Disgusting stuff. Cheese is great and I wanna know what other soft cheeses there are.

Posts: 1574 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
*shudder* Soft, bland cheese -- especially American bland cheese -- is an abomination, and I'm afraid I cannot bring myself to help you in this quest any more than I could help a friend cut out his own spleen for fun.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dabbler
Member # 6443

- posted      Profile for dabbler   Email dabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
Munster, Gouda, port salut, and Boursin are my suggestions.
Posts: 1261 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 8594

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm kind of with Tom on this one.

But I'm not really sure what you're going for. There are a number of spreadable cheeses available at the grocery store, but that's not usually what I go for.

My favorite cheese is feta, which crumbles well in salad, works great in pasta, adds interest to pizza, and makes an amazing grilled cheese sandwich.

Posts: 2392 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
BRIE. CHEDDAR.

"Bree" is a woman's name, and "chedder" isn't a word. [Razz]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
Gouda, if it's smoked. Parmesan. Real Parmigiano-Reggiano--not that Kraft stuff.
Those are my two favorites, though Brie certainly ain't bad on crackers. That having been said, I haven't eaten cheese in a while due to the whole vegan thing.

Edit: Though based on your description, you may want to try Humboldt Fog.

Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Herblay
Member # 11834

- posted      Profile for Herblay           Edit/Delete Post 
I'll add a second nomination for Port Salut. It's a fantastic soft/spreadable cheese.

If you like brie, that's like saying you enjoy red wine -- there's a lot of variety out there to try. Have you tried several different types of brie?

Posts: 688 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geraine
Member # 9913

- posted      Profile for Geraine   Email Geraine         Edit/Delete Post 
Havarti...

Havarti + Guava Paste + Ritz Crackers = Profit

Posts: 1937 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheGrimace
Member # 9178

- posted      Profile for TheGrimace   Email TheGrimace         Edit/Delete Post 
Smoked Gouda!!!!!

Also,
Colby-Jack, Munster, Cheddar, Halloumi(sp?) (super-hard for me to find usually), Mozzarella, Havarti, Feta on salad

Posts: 1038 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
Easy Cheese comes in several flavors.
Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Threads
Member # 10863

- posted      Profile for Threads   Email Threads         Edit/Delete Post 
I love Stilton cheese, especially when it contains little bits of fruit like apricots.
Posts: 1327 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
BRIE. CHEDDAR.

"Bree" is a woman's name (snip)

Or a horse's.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

"Bree" is what you shout as you go down a icewater slide.
Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

I'll take your word for that. [Wink]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rollainm
Member # 8318

- posted      Profile for rollainm   Email rollainm         Edit/Delete Post 
*ahem*

Bree is a town in Middle-earth.

Posts: 1945 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Cheese comes in two kinds: yellow and white (no speckles or spots) which loosely translates to chedder, mozzarella and Parmesan. That's it. No other thing called cheese is cheese in my choosy palate. *grin*
Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
Member # 8099

- posted      Profile for steven   Email steven         Edit/Delete Post 
I believe a nice St. Nectaire to be the height of good dining, along with a bit of Tomme de Savoie.

I do love those raw milk cheeses with the rind. Mmm, indeed. Yes.

Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
If you like the brie, you'll probably like the Camembert, too. It's similar in style.

I think it might be kind of fun helping a friend cut out his own spleen, Tom. There just aren't enough do-it-yourself splenectomies any more.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Tante Shvester:
There just aren't enough do-it-yourself splenectomies any more.

Back in the day, they were all the rage?
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
::sighs nostalgically::

Yeah, back before the "nanny state", when Americans were Rugged Individualists. Kids these days have it easy, I tell you, with their fancy hospitals and anesthesia . .

Why, when I was your age, we didn't have any of these newfangled cellular telephones. No! We needed to dial a number, we had to use a big heavy phone that was stuck to the wall, and actually dial it using an actual dial. And we didn't know the phone number, there was no fancy Google to look it up. No siree! We had a big heavy book, with page after page of phone numbers, and we had to look it up! And we were glad for it, too!

And when we played doctor in the bushes at the edge of the playground, the ground would be littered with spleens! I took out my own spleen six times! I had to; it kept growing back.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

[ROFL]
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
If you can find it, get some reblochon. It's a French cheese which you'll probably like if you enjoy brie.
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
..."chedder" isn't a word. [Razz]

If you're so smart, what do you call someone who cheds?
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

A cat with a cold?
scifibum
Member # 7625

There's often some cheddering involved after you get to the bottom of the icewater slide.

I think this was all a subliminal ad for a waterpark in Iceland.

Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
:: laugh ::
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
Member # 8099

- posted      Profile for steven   Email steven         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Eaquae Legit:
...reblochon. It's a French cheese ...

It is not. It's just some snooty-sounding syllables thrown together to sound extra-snooty.

Just kidding. I love reblochon.

Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.