FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The Ketchup Family Will be Pleased

Author Topic: The Ketchup Family Will be Pleased
Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
New Ketchup Packets

(I did a search, but didn't find this posted already.)

Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm certainly pleased. I can use a ketchup packet as a dipping container, but it doesn't work very well.

Sadly, I hardly ever remember to ask for ketchup at the drive-through, and the larger/more expensive ketchup packet will be even less likely to show up in my order unasked-for.

Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm ambivalent. On the one hand, in this country, their idea of giving you ketchup is to hand you one solitary packet of ketchup, and charging you for anything beyond that. Ridiculous and ludicrous. The increased volume would assuage this grievance.

On ta' other hand, I find the dunkable packets, which have already been used by other companies in Europe, are inefficient if the object is to squeeze out every morsel of sweet tangy salty goodness. I am not above peeling away the top and licking the inside clean, but really the standard ketchup packet saves me this indignity, and allows me to wring it like a tube of tooth paste to extract every last bit of ambrosia. This has been the issue with the dunkable format since time immemorial. PLUS, restaurants are much more likely to monitor exactly how many packets they give you, if these cost much more than the old ones. Gone are the days of the handful of packets dumped into the bag as an afterthought.

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

For a guy who cares as much as you, Orincoro, it could be a good idea to carry your own.
Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

Fie upon you and your outlandish ways!
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

What is Czech ketchup like anyway? I'm imagining some kind of fermented beet paste thickened with history.
steven
Member # 8099

- posted      Profile for steven   Email steven         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by scifibum:
What is Czech ketchup like anyway? I'm imagining some kind of fermented beet paste thickened with history.

In Czech Republic, beet paste ferments YOU.
Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dobbie
Member # 3881

- posted      Profile for Dobbie           Edit/Delete Post 
Actually people seem to really like Czech food. Whenever I'm in a restaurant I hear people calling out' "Czech please."
Posts: 1794 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholarette
Member # 11540

- posted      Profile for scholarette           Edit/Delete Post 
Whataburger has been using a dunkable ketchup container for years (or at least the one by us).
Posts: 2223 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
The dunk pack is stupid. It's up to the restaurant to provide you with a place to put your ketchup, such as the other side of the burger box. Squeezy packs are convenient; you can put the ketchup wherever you want; box, burger, directly onto the fries. Doesn't get much more flexible than that. I seriously doubt the squeezability of that dunk pack. And you probably have to snap the end off, then find a place to put the leftover piece of plastic.

I say fie on dunk packs. Stupid for Heinz to change their whole model, and for what? Eating in the car is distracting and unhealthy, anyway. I like Arby's better. Squeezy pack in the car, dunk cup in the restaurant.

Fie on you, progressive ketchup! I demand we return to the status quo! The previous one!

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by scholarette:
Whataburger has been using a dunkable ketchup container for years (or at least the one by us).

They closed all the ones near us, which sucks because they were really good burgers at a cheap price.
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't care for their burgers, but the Taquito is a warm piece of heaven in the morning. Pardon me while I drool like Homer Simpson just thinking about it.
Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

quote:

LoL. It's the same as American ketchup, except you don't generally find high fructose corn syrup in Czech products. Under communism ketchup was more of a rarity, if people bought it at all, so most applications for ketchup are foreign imports- thus the ketchup is also generally imported or a local import (foreign companies).
Orincoro
Member # 8854

quote:
Originally posted by steven:
quote:

In Czech Republic, beet paste ferments YOU.
No... is not possible...

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.