FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Worst Winter Ever (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Worst Winter Ever
Clive Candy
Member # 11977

- posted      Profile for Clive Candy           Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSN0820642120100208

quote:
WASHINGTON, Feb 8 (Reuters) - Another big winter storm was forecast on Monday for the U.S. mid-Atlantic still struggling to dig out from a blizzard that dumped two feet (half a meter) of snow and closed the federal government.

The National Weather Service issued a winter storm warning for Washington, D.C., beginning at noon/1700 GMT on Tuesday and continuing into Wednesday, with projected snow totals of 10 to 20 inches (25 to 51 cm).

The potentially crippling new storm was expected to hit other big cities along the East Coast, like Baltimore and Philadelphia, that are still digging out and extend into New Jersey and New York.

It would only add to the 32 inches (81 cm) of snow that had fallen in suburban Washington in the biggest snowfall to hit the city in decades.

Posts: 532 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The White Whale
Member # 6594

- posted      Profile for The White Whale           Edit/Delete Post 
Ever ≠ decades.
Posts: 1711 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clive Candy
Member # 11977

quote:
Originally posted by The White Whale:
Ever ≠ decades.

Enlightening.
Posts: 532 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LargeTuna
Member # 10512

- posted      Profile for LargeTuna   Email LargeTuna         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't click the link, but this winter has been crazy. My Delaware highschool is closed monday and tuesday because of the last storm, and then closed friday for unrelated reasons. It's unlikely I'll have school at all this week! Which actually is not a good thing for me because I struggle in my AP history class. I just realized I went of on a tangent, but thats how these snow storms are affecting me. The most likely place for someone to find me these next few days will probably be IHOP.
Posts: 856 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

- posted      Profile for Ron Lambert   Email Ron Lambert         Edit/Delete Post 
It's surely not all bad for the rest of the country if Congress is closed down for awhile.

How many more "Snowmageddons" must there be before the "cap and traders" will question their faith in global warming?

Posts: 3742 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Brr. Glad I live on the left Coast.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theresa51282
Member # 8037

- posted      Profile for theresa51282   Email theresa51282         Edit/Delete Post 
I got to enjoy a snow day with my husband today. He works for the federal government. The downside is that it took two hours to shovel out our parking space and we still can't get more than a few blocks from our condo two days after the snow has stopped.
Posts: 416 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The White Whale
Member # 6594

quote:
Originally posted by Ron Lambert:
How many more "Snowmageddons" must there be before the "cap and traders" will question their faith in global warming?

I don't even know where to start.

ETA: This says everything I wanted to say.

quote:
What’s particularly laughable about Mooney’s article is that according to the UAH satellite data so beloved of the anti-science crowd, the storm occurred on the warmest February 6 — and indeed, during the warmest winter — in the temperature record.
quote:
Hmm. If only there were a theory to explain why we might be seeing massive amounts of moisture and extreme precipitation events….

Posts: 1711 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
If the snow does not quit, you must acquit!
Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
Chicago has had a pretty easy winter so far. It is supposed to snow tonight and tomorrow. We have to go to work anyway.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
This to you is a big storm? In the grand old days of the Confederation, we would have had 100 storms such storms in so many nights.
Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theresa51282
Member # 8037

- posted      Profile for theresa51282   Email theresa51282         Edit/Delete Post 
Federal government snow day tomorrow too. Yippee for me!
Posts: 416 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
It's no-lose for the global warming nuts. If it's colder and snowier than usual, that's evidence of global warming. Anthropogenic global warming, no less And if it's warmer and drier than usual, well, that's evidence of anthropogenic global warming as well.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by kmbboots:
Chicago has had a pretty easy winter so far. It is supposed to snow tonight and tomorrow. We have to go to work anyway.

Same here in Detroit. It's been kind of lame actually, but we're in for something in the next two days. I bet it never even materializes.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by The White Whale:
Ever ≠ decades.

Actually, we're already at the third snowiest winter in recorded history here in the DC region with 45" - only an inch behind the '95-'96 runner-up season. We're projected to get anywhere between 5" to 20" tomorrow night, which could easily put us above the 54.4" record of 1898-99.

And that's measuring at Regan National Airport, which is right by the river and pretty low. They got a little under 18" during this past weekend's storm, while my home (closer to Dulles Airport in Fairfax) got a little over 30".

Of course, having gone to school in Indiana, these numbers don't seem that crazy (altho I didn't have to dig a car & house out of snow while in college). But factoring in poor plowing and crazy drivers makes it a lot worse. Two days after the end of the storm and the major highway closest to my house is still a mess, and the drivers just don't know how to cope. I went six miles down it and another highway in similar condition in order to drop Abhi off at Dulles for a business trip this morning and saw four accidents.

Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Lisa:
It's no-lose for the global warming nuts. If it's colder and snowier than usual, that's evidence of global warming. Anthropogenic global warming, no less And if it's warmer and drier than usual, well, that's evidence of anthropogenic global warming as well.

BZZZZ! None of the above. It's warmer and wetter than usual. Not colder -- the wetter means more snow, it need not be colder.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The White Whale
Member # 6594

Lisa, straw-man much? You like to oversimplify the position to the point of absurdity. You know it's more complicated than that, and I know you're smart enough to understand that.

- - -

Jhai, here's some data from the link I posted. It's only three cities, and yes, this is a big storm, but it's not the biggest in decades.

Philadelphia has had comparable storms in 1983 and 1996.

Baltimore and Washington DC have had comparable storms in 1979, 1983, 1996, and 2003.

quote:

Top 9 snowstorms on record for Philadelphia:

1. 30.7″, Jan 7-8, 1996
2. 28.5″, Feb 5-6, 2010 (Snowmageddon)
3. 23.2″, Dec 19-20, 2009 (Snowpocalypse)
4. 21.3″, Feb 11-12, 1983
5. 21.0″, Dec 25-26, 1909
6. 19.4″, Apr 3-4, 1915
7. 18.9″, Feb 12-14, 1899
8. 16.7″, Jan 22-24, 1935
9. 15.1″, Feb 28-Mar 1, 1941

The top 10 snowstorms on record for Baltimore:

1. 28.2″, Feb 15-18, 2003
2. 26.5″, Jan 27-29, 1922
3. 24.8″, Feb 5-6, 2010 (Snowmageddon)
4. 22.8″, Feb 11-12, 1983
5. 22.5″, Jan 7-8, 1996
6. 22.0″, Mar 29-30, 1942
7. 21.4″, Feb 11-14, 1899
8. 21.0″, Dec 19-20, 2009 (Snowpocalypse)
9. 20.0″, Feb 18-19, 1979
10. 16.0″, Mar 15-18, 1892

The top 10 snowstorms on record for Washington, D.C.:

1. 28.0″, Jan 27-28, 1922
2. 20.5″, Feb 11-13, 1899
3. 18.7″, Feb 18-19, 1979
4. 17.8″ Feb 5-6, 2010 (Snowmageddon)
5. 17.1″, Jan 6-8, 1996
6. 16.7″, Feb 15-18, 2003
7. 16.6″, Feb 11-12, 1983
8. 16.4″, Dec 19-20, 2009 (Snowpocalypse)
9. 14.4″, Feb 15-16, 1958
10. 14.4″, Feb 7, 1936

SoaPiNuReYe
Member # 9144

- posted      Profile for SoaPiNuReYe           Edit/Delete Post 
Jhai is talking about the whole winter, not just one storm, as was Clive.
Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The White Whale
Member # 6594

Alright. I got confused since Clive's title is about the winter, but his link is really about the next big storm, with nothing about the winter trend.
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
I live in Iowa. We've had 9? 10? snow days so far. I can't even keep track. We didn't have school today, and they already announced a two-hour delay for tomorrow. They will likely cancel if the winds pick up as predicted. School boards are discussing taking back days from spring break, having longer days or holding school on Saturdays in order to fulfill the legal required number of school days.

Also because of the predicted winds tomorrow on top of the snow today and overnight, I am staying at my mom's house tonight instead of trying to drive home (less than 10 miles away!) - this is after the last storm, when I nearly didn't make it home.

It's been the worst winter I remember - for Iowa at least. We haven't had the massive amounts of snow all at once that the east coast has recieved, but it has accumulated about every two weeks since the beginning of December. My whole yard and half my driveway are knee-deep in snow still, and we have had above-freezing temps and rain, which have made the snow level go down.

UPDATE: It's actually been 10 snow days for our school system.

[ February 10, 2010, 12:48 AM: Message edited by: CaySedai ]

Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 8594

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know if it's the worst winter but it sure is the snowiest here in the Kansas City metro. No sooner did our first huge batch of snow melt than we got another. Only one school day so far that I know of (it's possible they canceled on a Friday and I didn't pay attention because my son is only going M-R at the moment).
Posts: 2392 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Global Warming is misnamed. It draws its name from the fact that in this climate change scenario, global average temperatures steadily rise. Which they are. This does not preclude localities from experiencing unnatural bouts of cold or warm or neither.

In fact Climate Change models predict an increase in extremes. Meaning colder winters and hotter summers and more/worse storms. Global Warming is more accurately named Global Weirding.

Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The White Whale
Member # 6594

Alcon, my favorite term for it is Climate Destabilization. But I also like Global Weirding.
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Alcon:
Global Warming is misnamed. It draws its name from the fact that in this climate change scenario, global average temperatures steadily rise. Which they are. This does not preclude localities from experiencing unnatural bouts of cold or warm or neither.

In fact Climate Change models predict an increase in extremes. Meaning colder winters and hotter summers and more/worse storms. Global Warming is more accurately named Global Weirding.

Silly me. And here, I used to think that falsifiability was a requirement for a model to be considered scientific. I didn't realize it had been replaced by majority rule.

Can you think of anything that could possibly disprove the ACC model? I can't. Because absolutely anything and everything that happens can be painted as supporting it.

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
This winter's actually been pretty mild in Wisconsin, especially compared to the one we got two years ago.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
It's currently 87°F here, 58% humidity, partly cloudy with a pleasant breeze.

You're all welcome to come and visit anytime you get sick of the snow.

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Silly me. And here, I used to think that falsifiability was a requirement for a model to be considered scientific. I didn't realize it had been replaced by majority rule.

Can you think of anything that could possibly disprove the ACC model? I can't. Because absolutely anything and everything that happens can be painted as supporting it.

Yes. If that's a serious question, I can direct you the the large number of scientific papers on the subject. The models are being continually revised based on experiments using the scientific method.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
I want more snow.
Seriously. This is kinda wimpy and I say bring it on.

Also, Harbin girls (possibly NSFW) say you need to boost your cold resistance stat by +2 [Wink]

(From Northern China Snowstorm Largest Since 1959 Photographs)

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Why are you that confused? There's a very easy way to falsify ACC: If the long-term trend for global temperatures went downward. Since it has gone upwards for quite some time, you'd need at least a decade or so of downward trend to be sure, so it won't be disproved anytime in the near future.

Another possibility would be showing that a different model of the situation fit the current facts better -- that could remove the "A" from "ACC". That's not too likely, though.

No single year, much less any single storm is evidence for or against. Only the trends over time, the collection of those events, is evidence one way or the other. Do you not understand the difference between a single data point and a collection of them?

Of course, all the people who do spout off about a particular storm or a particular season's weather being caused by ACC are full of nonsense, too.

edit: note that the last is not the same as noting that current weather conditions are entirely consistent with ACC models.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

Its currently 87°F, 58% humidity, partly cloudy with a pleasant breeze. You are all welcome to come visit anytime you get sick of the snow.

This is an El nino year and the weather patterns are consistent with what is predicted for a strong El Nino, heavy rains in So. Cal, heavy snow on the eastern sea board, unusually dry weather in the central states and Caribbean.

Here in the eastern Caribbean we are only 1 month into the dry season and already rationing water. So if you are planning to visit, be prepared for dry.

The Rabbit
Member # 671

You want predictions. Here they are.

We have a really strong El Nino. If it persists we will have an unusually hot summer. The last strong El Nino year was 1998 which is the hottest year on record. This year has a very good chance of meeting or breaking that record if the El Nino persists.

When this summer turns out to be record hot, Lisa, Clyde, and the rest of the deniers will not post here saying they were wrong.

rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by The Rabbit:
heavy rains in So. Cal

Yup. Including right now. [Razz]
Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

- posted      Profile for Architraz Warden   Email Architraz Warden         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Rabbit:
We have a really strong El Nino. If it persists we will have an unusually hot summer. The last strong El Nino year was 1998 which is the hottest year on record. This year has a very good chance of meeting or breaking that record if the El Nino persists.

Oooh, that bodes well for us; probably one of the few that's true for. 1998 set a few records as one of the locally coolest summers on record (our El Nino pattern seems to be getting wetter and cooler).
Posts: 1368 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sinflower
Member # 12228

- posted      Profile for sinflower           Edit/Delete Post 
People should appreciate snow more. Heavy snows are just gorgeous, and snow is so fun to play around in. I WISH it snowed more where I live. We haven't a had a decent snow all year.

[ February 09, 2010, 10:03 PM: Message edited by: sinflower ]

Posts: 241 | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The White Whale
Member # 6594

We finally are getting some decent snow here in Ithaca. I had plans to cross-country ski four weeks ago, but all the snow melted and has stayed melted since.

Maybe this weekend.

aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Nope, we had a strong El Nino. It's expected to be ENSO neutral by the arrival of summer.
Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

- posted      Profile for Ron Lambert   Email Ron Lambert         Edit/Delete Post 
I heard on the news today that 49 of the 50 states now have snow. Presumably, the one without snow would be Hawaii. Several states in the deep south are reporting their heaviest snowfall in 100 years.

Anybody heard anything from Al Gore? Or is he hiding out in a groundhog burrow, clutching his Nobel Prize?

Posts: 3742 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

That's not even remotely true, and I'd like to believe that you understand it. However, I do recall demonstrations of your selective scientific understanding from when you actively denied the confluence of scientific data showing an earth older than a few thousand years old, so.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Darth_Mauve
Member # 4709

- posted      Profile for Darth_Mauve   Email Darth_Mauve         Edit/Delete Post 
So much wrong with your theory Ron. The big question, where did all this water that became snow come from? Climate Change said heat creates energy in the atmosphere that means more power for bigger storms of all kinds.
Posts: 1941 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The White Whale
Member # 6594

Proof of Global Darkening
theamazeeaz
Member # 6970

- posted      Profile for theamazeeaz   Email theamazeeaz         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I heard on the news today that 49 of the 50 states now have snow. Presumably, the one without snow would be Hawaii. Several states in the deep south are reporting their heaviest snowfall in 100 years.

Anybody heard anything from Al Gore? Or is he hiding out in a groundhog burrow, clutching his Nobel Prize?

I was going to prove you wrong, but it looks like Hawaii doesn't have snow right now. They did when I was there in March:

http://mkwc.ifa.hawaii.edu/current/cams/index.cgi?mode=multi

Posts: 1757 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm so sad. We've hardly had any snow here in Toronto. [Frown]
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

DING DING DING DING DING!

5th post, and the first GOP lackey sounds off on his total lack of comprehension of basic science. Ron, for the 100th time, at least, an exceptionally cold winter is not proof negative of the absence of a global warming phenomenon. In fact, quite the opposite, climate changes can cause extremes at different points during the year, either cold or hot. As usual you have no idea what you're talking about- I suspect your comment is just more troll bate- but in case you're still totally clueless, ask any of the several experts on the board to explain it to you.

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

:smirk: IF ACC is happening, then everything that does happen *will* support the model, and can thus be painted as support of the model. Now, is it just too much for your little old head to accept that the model accounts for heavy snowfall? That's just fundamentally unacceptable to you for some reason? Science cannot possibly expect you to accept the idea of warming trends causing harsh winters? Awwww. I'm sorry.

Here's something that could disprove the ACC model- the Earth cools over the next few decades, and none of the predictions made so far come true. Bam. Disproved. What are you worried about? Since you are convinced that will be the case, do you honestly believe scientists will still believe in the model if it never ends up matching any of the available data? What awful scientist beat you as a child?

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clive Candy
Member # 11977

There is now currently snow in the contiguous 48 states, and liberals are still crying about global warming? Haha!

(Was that invalid reasoning? Okay, then the Global Warming Fanatics need to stop claiming specific draughts and hurricanes as evidence of global warming. If they can do that, then others are free to use record winters as evidence that Global Warming is a myth.)

By the way, time magazine specifically claimed that Hurricane Katrina was caused by global warming.

MattP
Member # 10495

- posted      Profile for MattP   Email MattP         Edit/Delete Post 
Clive,

Have you not been paying attention? Climate change models predict climate instability as global temperature increases. More snow than usual, more/bigger hurricanes, etc. are all consistent with that. So yeah, when we get some unusually huge storms, it's not unreasonable to suggest that global warming is to blame.

On the other hand, using a predicted effect of global warming - heavier than normal snowfall - to dispute global warming is nonsensical.

Posts: 3275 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clive Candy
Member # 11977

This winter has also inconvenienced me considerably as I ordered a second ps3 controller and a book from amazon 10 days ago and they're still not here.

On the other hand, there's awesome icicles hanging from my house that have grown so tall that they've connected with the snow on the ground.

Clive Candy
Member # 11977

Previously all the rage used to be "global warming this, global warming that." They then adopted the phrase "climate change" in order to use ANY big weather event as further evidence.
Clive Candy
Member # 11977

Omg, like other climatologists are making claims that contradict the liberal mantra:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1242011/DAVID-ROSE-The-mini-ice-age-starts-here.html

Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
What I don't get, what I flatly don't get, is this.

There is quite a bit of evidence of global warming leading to more extreme weather conditions. Doesn't matter what political beliefs you hold to believe that.

There isn't nearly as much cut and dried evidence to suggest that anything mankind has done has increased that warming -- it may be a natural cycle -- or that anything we do now could decrease it. That's where I can see the arguments forming. Is it worth bankrupting businesses in an attempt to change something we can't change? There is room for discussion there.

But that requires thought, and long-term planning. It's like we're in a small island village and we can see the killer wave coming. We can and should argue over how best to build walls and ride it out; it's insane to pretend the wave isn't there.

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.