FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Olbermann makes an idiot of himself (again) (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Olbermann makes an idiot of himself (again)
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
There's also the fun little Just World Theory error that exacerbates it.
Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Pointing to other niche loonies does the same thign as kate's link - only highlight how lazy and careless the accusation was in the first place.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

quote:
Originally posted by katharina:
kate - that's not kosher to pretend that a single thing you are linking to defines all conservatives. If you mean the adherents of that particular theology, then be more careful and less careless in your general accusations.

err...how is saying something applies to much of the conservative crowd equate to saying it applied to all conservatives? This criticism seems obviously unwarranted.
Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
"much of" does not mean "all".
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

kat,
I'm not sure what niche loonies you are talking about. Do you think that Just World Theory is something that fits into this category? The link I provided implies, but doesn't really go into detail, that this is a widespread and well-studied issue.

I'm having trouble seeing sense in the things you are saying. You seem to be throwing accusations at people that are obviously contradicted by what they are writing.

---

For the record, several studies of self-identified "liberals" vs. "conservatives" have shown a significantly higher prevalence of the fundamental attribution error in the conservative group. Which, honestly, I don't think is that surprising.

It's important to note that 1) this error is widespread across our culture, whether liberal or conservative and 2) this is not a universal trait among conservatives.

malanthrop
Member # 11992

- posted      Profile for malanthrop           Edit/Delete Post 
Comparing health insurance to car insurance is a very bad idea. In car insurance, discrimination is accepted. Car insurance looks at statistics. Women pay less than men and things like age, home ownership, credit scores, college degrees, student status, etc are accepted inputs into the equation.

Health insurance considers age, ignores sex, credit scores, marriage, race, etc. Minorities and women are certainly the highest expense for heathcare. Car insurance is scientific in it's approach to the risk of the individual. This approach would be called sexist/racist profiling if applied to healthcare. Healthcare insurers need to ignore the costs of pregnancy and medical problems more common among different racial groups. Asians should have the cheapest health insurance and African Americans, the most expensive....if auto insurance type statistics were applied. Healthcare risk has a lot to do with genetics.

Posts: 1495 | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
... Feel free to quote notable pro-Tea Party blogosphere personalities, certainly. Reynolds, Breitbart, Malkin, etc.
quote:
In Defense of Internment: The Case for 'Racial Profiling' in World War II and the War on Terror (ISBN 0-89526-051-4) is a 2004 book written by conservative American political commentator Michelle Malkin. Malkin tries to justify the United States government's internment of Japanese Americans in relocation camps during World War II and extend that logic to justifying racial profiling of Arabs during the post-2001 War on Terror.
Just bookmarking this in my account so it is more easily searchable. Should be handy next time someone is all "In this century, we won't succumb to putting people in internment camps. Americans have a more evolved sensibility."
Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by malanthrop:
... Minorities and women are certainly the highest expense for heathcare ... Asians should have the cheapest health insurance and African Americans, the most expensive

[Confused] Do you not consider Asians minorities or something?
Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
malanthrop
Member # 11992

- posted      Profile for malanthrop           Edit/Delete Post 
War is hell. Interning every American Japanese was horrible. >99% of the Japs they interred were loyal Americans. For this reason, we aren't interring American Muslims today. Unfortunately, that <1% belong to terrorist cells. That fraction of a percent will kill hundreds, if not thousands. I hope you are as understanding when the victims are people you love.
Posts: 1495 | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

- posted      Profile for Dan_Frank   Email Dan_Frank         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey guys, I just wanted to say that I've watched a couple interviews with Stewart Rhodes from the Oath Keepers and they seem pretty awesome. Maybe there's some video of them being racist and evil that I haven't seen yet. So far I've seen Rhodes interviewed by a conservative and interviewed (i.e. attacked) by Chris Matthews, and in both cases he was composed and relatively articulate (perhaps a bit less articulate with Chris Matthews, because he kept being put on the defensive).

So, yeah. They seem pretty radical. Er, to clarify, that's radical in the 1980s sense, not in the extremist sense.

Posts: 3580 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sinflower
Member # 12228

- posted      Profile for sinflower           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Mucus:
quote:
Originally posted by malanthrop:
... Minorities and women are certainly the highest expense for heathcare ... Asians should have the cheapest health insurance and African Americans, the most expensive

[Confused] Do you not consider Asians minorities or something?
Maybe he's saying that minorities, on average, are a higher expense than white people. Asians are minorities, but there are so few of them compared to African Americans and Hispanics that they wouldn't affect the average minority expense very much.
Posts: 241 | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.