FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Bloom box: An energy breakthrough?

Author Topic: Bloom box: An energy breakthrough?
rollainm
Member # 8318

- posted      Profile for rollainm   Email rollainm         Edit/Delete Post 
Linky.

Anybody else heard of this? It's an incredibly efficient generator that's about the size of a brick - and it can power an entire home. Some big companies like Google, eBay, and Wal-Mart are already testing the thing, and it really works.

Posts: 1945 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
This is the best article I have seen so far.

Potentially a good development, but it doesn't look likely to be revolutionary. I have more hope for solar, wind, and better storage tech (capacitors) than I do for this.

Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
From this, it doesn't sound like too much of a big deal, just a way to distribute natural gas power plants.

So it still seems to generate emissions and would also be pretty volatile price-wise since natural gas prices can be pretty volatile.

Good for my investments though, I think.

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rollainm
Member # 8318

- posted      Profile for rollainm   Email rollainm         Edit/Delete Post 
Those links were a lot more informative. I guess nothing is quite as neat as it appears on the surface. Still, I found it interesting, and I was previously unfamiliar with that kind of technology.
Posts: 1945 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raventhief
Member # 9002

- posted      Profile for Raventhief   Email Raventhief         Edit/Delete Post 
Fuel cell technology is great stuff, but it won't reduce our reliance on hydrocarbons. But it is a more efficient and cleaner way of using them. Truth is these things are LONG overdue.
Posts: 354 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Not to mention they can use the waste product as fuel, so the only think left is water. [Big Grin]
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Kwea:
Not to mention they can use the waste product as fuel, so the only think left is water. [Big Grin]

What about the carbon?
Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raventhief
Member # 9002

- posted      Profile for Raventhief   Email Raventhief         Edit/Delete Post 
Carbon dioxide. Clean gas, literally can be countered 100% by planting more trees.
Posts: 354 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
This is a pretty balanced article

But this one is a slap in the face.

I work for FuelCell Energy, which is mentioned unfavorably in the second article. The fact is that Bloom is also losing money on each stack that they sell. In two adjacent years, FuelCell lost 71 million, while Bloom lost 85 million, but the article practially makes it look like Bloom is turning a profit.

Bloom's breadbox sized stack doesn't make a lot of sense. They've been in business 8 years but they claim they have a product that will last 10 years. My guess is that this figure comes from degradation tests over the life of the test. That tells you how long it will take before the cell doesn't make enough voltage to be useful, but it tells you nothing about how long the stack will last before it breaks.

Also, their active area is about 4" square, and they're claiming that building smaller stacks is the solution to the cost/unit issue. We find the opposite is true. We have had 4" and 7" cells in both solid oxide and molten carbonate stacks, and found that the ratio of active area to overall cell area is too small. It makes it more expensive to manufacture. Our solid oxide cells are 10" square, (and will likely get larger) and our molten carbonate cells are 24" x 48." Engineering them larger is harder, but it reduces cost per unit of active area, and also reduces the cost per unit for vessel, manifolding, and balance of plant.

Their Linkedin page has additional links for anyone that's interested.

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
It seems like this technology coupled with one of the algae-based biofuels could be a winner.
Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
As it is, many of our customers are using biogas. Sierra Brewery, Pepperidge Farm and Gill's onions all have significant biomass leftovers, which they digest and feed the off-gas into our fuel cells.
Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xann.
Member # 11482

- posted      Profile for Xann.   Email Xann.         Edit/Delete Post 
I read the title to this thread as Boom Blox, and thought a sequel was coming out.

But energy breakthroughs are cool too... I guess...

Posts: 549 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dobbie
Member # 3881

- posted      Profile for Dobbie           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Glenn Arnold:
As it is, many of our customers are using biogas. Sierra Brewery, Pepperidge Farm and Gill's onions all have significant biomass leftovers, which they digest and feed the off-gas into our fuel cells.

What's a bioga?
Posts: 1794 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Bio Gas.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Why do people still answer Dob(b)ie's questions as if they were anything sincere?
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Glenn Arnold:

I've noticed that. Particularly from Milanos, although Windmills make me a little gassy as well.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

An interview with Dan Brdar, CEO of FuelCell Energy covering various issues on the stationary fuel cell industry. Not very in depth, but pretty well balanced.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.