FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Stephen Fry Speaks on Religion and Atheism (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Stephen Fry Speaks on Religion and Atheism
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by dkw:
I'm not a big fan of there being no more I. I want lots more I. I think I is pretty great.

And now dkw has gone Rastafarian.
Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by King of Men:
"There is no evidence for that" seems an excellent critique to me.

I wouldn't feel competent to make that critique to an adherent of Kabbalism or astrology, since I don't know what they believe, so I don't know what it is that I'd be claiming to see no evidence for.
Ah yes, I keep forgetting that you don't believe anything, and consequently also disbelieve nothing. Generally I consider "Argument X allows you to believe in astrology" to be a fairly strong indicator that you should not use X. But of course it's different for people not interested in truth.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
KoM: What?
Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholarette
Member # 11540

- posted      Profile for scholarette           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by theamazeeaz:
quote:
quote:
"There is no evidence for that" seems an excellent critique to me.

I wouldn't feel competant to make that critique to an adherent of Kabbalism or astrology, since I don't know what they believe, so I don't know what it is that I'd be claiming to see no evidence for.
Re: astrology. The positions of the planets when you were born and/or right now affect your life, particularly your romantic one.

An there's no evidence for that.

Actually there are some studies that indicate that a child's temperament might be tied to when they are born. Some one did a study where they asked people how lucky they are and sorted based on month born. Those born in May self reported higher luck than those in October. They hypothesized that in a cold climate, a baby born in October would spend most of their early doors indoors, around less people. One born in spring would spend more time outside and around people. These differences could then affect their view throughout their lives.
Posts: 2223 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Ah yes, I keep forgetting that you don't believe anything, and consequently also disbelieve nothing. Generally I consider "Argument X allows you to believe in astrology" to be a fairly strong indicator that you should not use X. But of course it's different for people not interested in truth.

You don't know beans about what I believe or don't believe. I don't discuss it here.

To my knowledge I have never spoken to a person who is a practitioner of astrology. If I were having a conversation with one, and they told me what they believed I would be able to comment on it. If I was interested in astrology and made a study of their beliefs, I could comment on that. I have done neither, therefore I don't know enough to comment. All I know about astrology is from seeing horoscopes printed in the newspaper -- I've seen no evidence that they have any predictive value or insight, but for all I know people who actually practice astrology don't think they do either.

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.