FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » March Madness Tourney

Author Topic: March Madness Tourney
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Anybody watching? Another 1 seed bites the dust - Syracuse goes down to #5 Butler. This follows upsets that has landed the likes of Northern Iowa, Cornell, and St Mary's in the Sweet Sixteen.

Some people have theorized that if all the major programs lose to the Cinderellas, no one will watch the Final Four. I read an article that said we love Cinderella vs. Greatness but we aren't psyched for Cinderella vs. Cinderella.

Interesting thought. I'll watch no matter what, because I love basketball and a lot of these higher seeds play a style of basketball I like - a good perimeter game, great 3-point shooting. But, I think they have a point. What do you think?

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flying Fish
Member # 12032

- posted      Profile for Flying Fish   Email Flying Fish         Edit/Delete Post 
Two thoughts:
In terms of people watching, tv is ridiculously skewed toward certain markets. CBS would love to see Kansas, UNC, Duke, and Kentucky in every final four, just as the networks wish every world series was Boston-New York (yeah, I know they're both AL teams), and every nba championship was Lakers-Celtics.

Second, I think college football and college basketball is evening out, so the difference between the top teams and mid-majors is less and less. I agree, I like this style of basketball from teams like WV or Cornell or UNI. Teams with no probable nba draftees who play smart team basketball.

Posts: 270 | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tstorm
Member # 1871

- posted      Profile for Tstorm   Email Tstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
Belle, you must have loved Xavier's game against KSU. We were awestruck by their three-point accuracy through the second half. Just incredible. I don't know how any team can defend against someone who reliably shoots from 25 and 35 feet out.
Posts: 1813 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

It was awesome and you're right - how do you defend against that? Not to mention the 3-point line got moved back recently....they may have to move it again.
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

The SEC has two teams alive! WTG Tennessee.

Watching Duke and Purdue right now, rooting for Duke. It's my daughter's favorite team.

Tstorm
Member # 1871

And, I just lost any interest in the tournament I might have had. Oh well, they went further than those dirty birds in Lawrence. We lost to them three times, but we still get tournament bragging rights this season. [Smile]
Posts: 1813 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Reader
Member # 3636

- posted      Profile for The Reader   Email The Reader         Edit/Delete Post 
As a nominal resident of a neighboring state of West Virginia, I say, go Mountaineers!
Posts: 684 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tstorm
Member # 1871

Um, I'm in KS, and I was rooting for KSU, reader...sorry if you thought I was in Kentucky or something. [Confused]

And I doubt Kentucky played KU three times this year, so that was your only clue. [Smile]

I'd root for WVU, but I'm not particularly attached to Huggins. Maybe I'll root for Baylor.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.