FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » OSC's One Day Writer's Workshop

Author Topic: OSC's One Day Writer's Workshop
dem
Member # 2512

- posted      Profile for dem   Email dem         Edit/Delete Post 
OSC is having a one day writer's workshop on 4/10. That is the end of my spring break (teacher) and I could probably swing it.

My question: It says for all levels, but I am truly an amateur. I have 25 pages of a novel, 10 short stories in various states of disrepair and another 5 or 6 novel length ideas started (outline work and scenes). I don't want to bring slow everyone down. However, the cost ($31.50 w/ buffet) makes me think it is really an introductory course.

I would take the course seriously, but I have never taken my writing seriously. Opinions?

Posts: 317 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholarette
Member # 11540

- posted      Profile for scholarette           Edit/Delete Post 
I have never done the workshop, but I don't see why you shouldn't go. For the bootcamp, OSC makes you submit samples of your work. Since he isn't doing any mechanism like that, he probably is expecting a lot of amateurs.
Posts: 2223 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
Where's the workshop? Will you have to travel?

I say go for it. Just being the type of person who thinks about not wanting to slow everyone down probably guarantees that you won't be the one slowing everyone down.

Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dem
Member # 2512

- posted      Profile for dem   Email dem         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm from Atlanta and the workshop is in Virginia...so it is a haul. However, I would count it as my 2-day Spring Break trip.

I'm leaning toward what you say scifibum. I figure I can hold my own. If I can't, I can always run from the room crying.

I actually present a lot at coaching clinics with a wide range of attendees and I am a teacher, so I am a little sensitive to the struggles of differentiated instruction.

Posts: 317 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, honestly, I've been the guy in class seething because someone keeps raising their hand so they can enjoy the sound of their own voice instead of letting the teacher get on with the lecture, or because someone didn't do the reading or the programming assignment so we can never get to anything we aren't already supposed to know backwards and forwards (I've always wished comp sci teachers could kick out the unsuited students after two or three weeks).

I've never gotten the impression that any of these people was concerned about whether they were interfering with the pace of learning. [Wink]

But more than that, having outlined several novels and written several short stories, you're probably already ahead of the curve.

Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
I would go and I'm insanely jealous...I wish I could! If you go, give us a report.

And wow, your spring break is late....all the schools around here are already back from break.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.