FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Caprica Beware spoilers.

Author Topic: Caprica Beware spoilers.
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Good show but someone needs to brutally strangle Zoe, I utterly dislike everything about her as a character, she's inherently unlikeable, she's selfish, capricious, uncaring about her family, a religious zealot with not a single saving grace to her personality as a person.

I want her to suffer until she realizes her wrongs, at this rate if she gets through this and gets some kind of happy ending she would be a complete karma Houdini.

She's the same selfish spoiled brat she was when alive and shows no probability or possibility of improving.

Its a great show with good pacing and characters with good characterization, you know what they say if you must get your audience to feel something or anything at all let it be hate, utter contempt and dislike.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IanO
Member # 186

- posted      Profile for IanO   Email IanO         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree. I don't really care for Zoe, real or avatar.) I don't get her motivations. The way she keeps throwing Lacy's backing out of getting on the mag-train (where she would have DIED!) just makes no sense.

Ultimately, I'm just not sure why I'm watching it. I mean, it's obvious this is where the cylons came from (from the first ep onward even.) Seems fairly clear that the Cylon's worship of God comes from the STO beliefs, as it seems more than likely that actual STO's (in avatar mode) or STO based avatars will be the basis/nucleus of the centurions and their religion. Daniel's frustrated statement to the Zoe-Robot that she is not a person but a machine (after she refused to acknowledge she was in there) seems to foreshadow (or even be a cause of) the Cylon view of humans as parents who won't acknowledge them as children and people- and then get out of the way and make room for them (Cavil anyone? Though of course, his frustration and hatred was also tied up in his view of the final five, but it stemmed from his hatred/jealousy of humanity.)

Yeah, Caprica is decadent. Yeah, it gives a glimpse of Kobol and Earth Prime. But....why did this need to be more than a movie, like Razor or the Plan? I don't like the Greystones and don't find them that interesting (and why do I care about Amanda's brother? Maybe he's an angel I guess...And how stupid is she to proclaim that Zoe was STO at a mass funeral of the victims of the bombing with only a brooch as proof.) I don't really care for the Adamas, and don't find them that interesting (though of course, the presentations of the differing cultures are at least marginally interesting.) Don't really care about New Cap city, nor has the purpose of Tamara Adama's role been shown to be important, beyond never dying in a game.

All in all, I'm waiting for the creators to tell me why I should care. What is this series supposed to show me that I haven't already figured out? At least give me a hint that there is more to this.

As a first season, it fails because it doesn't present enough mystery, nor does it tell me why the mysteries it has presented matter. That's the difficult position of prequels. It's not enough to show the causes of the thing it is coming before. It also has to exist on it's own, either to provide a new context or window through which we can reinterpret the thing before (which, let's face it, would be hard with BG, which was very self-contained and doesn't need reinterpretation. The Plan came close, but even then, it only reaffirmed the conclusion and made more clear the motivations of the cyclons- in a nice way, I will say), or it has to contain new "truths", a fascinating story in it's own right. I already know where most of this is going. So what new story are they trying to tell?

I'll see how season 2 looks. It is Ron Moore and he may surprise me.

[ April 02, 2010, 02:53 PM: Message edited by: IanO ]

Posts: 1346 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I agree. I don't really care for Zoe, real or avatar.) I don't get her motivations. The way she keeps throwing Lacy's backing out of getting on the mag-train (where she wouldn't have DIED!) just makes no sense.
I don't like her throwing that in Lacy's face either...but I look at it and think, "She's terrified, she's angry, her father is talking about enslaving her (something that would've made her furious even before she got turned into an AI), and she's surrounded quite literally by treachery. And her last memories of life were, shall we say, traumatic."

As for Tamara's role, I'm beginning to wonder if she is not the foundation for later Cylon rebellion, with Zoe's story as a sort of thwarted Exodus story. Zoe might be the inspiration, Tamara the actual progenitor of revolution.

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IanO
Member # 186

Zoe-Av doesn't actually have any memories of Zoe-actual's death. That was established in the first ep where Zoe-Av is wondering what happened to Zoe and Lacy explains it to her. But yeah, she is irrational...I just don't like her.

RE: Tamara, That would, at least, make her role more interesting. I even like that idea, provided the start moving on it. I just think they should have set up more WHY this story is so important to tell as a series (beyond the $$) that is more than we could figure out from the first couple episodes being a movie.

As I said, I lean negative, but will reserve judgement for season 2, which is in July, I think.

Posts: 1346 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

I like Caprica and largely see it as the story of how Adama becomes badass.

Like sure we "know" certain things will happen the question is how it happens.

One thing I like how in a bit of fridge brilliance Joseph Adama's story could in-universe actually be the ORIGIN of the story of Ortheus.

Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
Do you mean Orpheus?
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IanO
Member # 186

So far, I don't care about Bill Adama. He's a face. His dad's all over the place, character-wise.
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

One thing I am interested in is the transition of Joseph (Yusif?) Adams (Adama?) into the apparently well respected and highly ethical jurist Lee Adama speaks about with his father in BSG. Because right now, Joe Adama seems to me to be incredibly corrupt, and what's more widely known to be very corrupt.
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Depends on a certain point of view.
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

Not really. Lee Adama, of all people, is not someone who would've admired the man Joe Adama appears to be widely known to be. He's the guy who sided with Gaius Baltar in service to the law.
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
Well said, IanO. I'm struggling to figure out why I should care about all of these characters and what's going on in there lives. They range from occasionally sort of interesting at best to rather despicable at worst. I really want to like the show, but I don't feel like I've been given a good reason to yet.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
Oddly enough, I find the Zoe/Daniel story the most compelling with the torture scene as a good example. The rest ranges from boring (Clarice) to terminally boring (Amanda) with the sole exception of maybe the Tamara subplot which seems to have taken a disappointing turn.
Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

- posted      Profile for neo-dragon           Edit/Delete Post 
So, there's an interesting Caprica theory bouncing around some corners of the internet. The theory is that "Willy" Adama will die...

Doesn't seem to make a lot of sense does it? But the basis of the theory is the idea that "Willy" Adama is not actually the Bill Adama that we all know and love. For one thing, Willy has brown eyes whereas the Edward Olmos had to wear contacts so that Bill would have blue eyes (to match Lee's). Second, since Caprica is set 58 years before the fall Willy Adama would be about 70 when BSG begins, but Bill doesn't look that old. Third, according to BSG, Adama's mother's name was Evelyn... That's right, the same name as Joseph's assistant who seems to be into him.

I don't really buy this theory myself, but it is interesting.

Posts: 1569 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

*cough retcon cough*
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

I've actually wondered about that myself, whether this Bill Adama was BSG's Bill Adama. The age thing is what made me wonder, but there were other things as well-the character of Joe Adama, for one.
IanO
Member # 186

quote:
One thing I am interested in is the transition of Joseph (Yusif?) Adams (Adama?) into the apparently well respected and highly ethical jurist Lee Adama speaks about with his father in BSG. Because right now, Joe Adama seems to me to be incredibly corrupt, and what's more widely known to be very corrupt.
This actually makes sense. Recall that when the lawyer Lampkin got Lee to help in Baltar's defense, at the end he stated that he respected the man who had "taught him everything he knew", but didn't like him because he wasn't honorable, or something to that effect. He said he hated him, anyway. Lee never knew that man, but that's cause he was a kid. I think it was even hinted that their differing morality is one of the reasons Bill and Joseph never were close as adults.

The more I think about it, though, I'm not sure that I could see Tamara as the genesis of the Cylon love/hate/desperate for human approval that we see later one. I mean, Daniel is the one who, in irritations, dehumanizes the Zoe-A, whereas Joseph is the one killing himself trying to find his daughter in new-Cap city. So much so that Tamara makes sure he can't ever come back so that he and his remaining family will not fall apart.

But you never know I guess. They just better make me really care- really believe that I'm going to find out something important about life and universe and people- before too long...

Rakeesh
Member # 2001

Really? I don't remember that at all, him saying that about Grampa Adama that is. Those are some of my favorite episodes, though...I'll hafta rewatch:D

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.