FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » They need to make a Silmarillion God of War game

Author Topic: They need to make a Silmarillion God of War game
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I'm looking through Lets Play videos of God of War on YouTube and I'm like Woah this is awesome.

But what would be even more awesome? A Silmarillion God of War-ish game, there are several chapters in The Silmarillion that could make an easy transition to a fighting game, Fingolfins duel with Morgoth, Feanor pwning some Balrogs, Beren and Luthiens quest for a Silmirill, Fingol's rescue of a human stronghold from Orcs the killing of the Father of Dragons and then the War of Wrath and then the dozens of things I left out.

And the fact that The Silmarillion roughly holds the same place in Middle Earths mythology as Ancient Greece does for us, it would be awesome.

[ April 10, 2010, 11:18 AM: Message edited by: Blayne Bradley ]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kanelock1
Member # 12230

- posted      Profile for kanelock1   Email kanelock1         Edit/Delete Post 
It's called THE SILMARILLION by the way.
Posts: 73 | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Google wasn't particularity helpful it seems.
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Similarion
I think you've accidentally discovered how to make your own without running afoul of the Tolkien estate lawyers.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, if you google it wrong you'll find plenty of people who also spelled it wrong (and apparently this is the case for multiple possible mispellings) so it'd be hard to correct the error.

I think the idea itself has merit. I haven't read the Silmarillion so I can't comment further.

Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:
quote:
Similarion
I think you've accidentally discovered how to make your own without running afoul of the Tolkien estate lawyers.
Definitely funny and signable but totally not going to work legally I think other then as a 'fan' project as I'm pretty sure copyright law states that if my product with the same name as something else causes confusion and thus loss of profit I'm liable for those damages.

And thats when they're unrelated, since my idea is related to the original source material I obviously couldn't even so much as develop it probably.

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Fingol's rescue of a human stronghold from Orcs
This is no Fingol. Are you using that as shorthand for Fingolfin, or did you mean Finrod or Thingol? Either way I don't remember this event, but you may have read the Sil more recently than I have.

And I would absolutely love a Silmarillion based video game, so long as they were loyal to the material. I still think it's make a great miniseries if they did it in chunks, but I've given up almost all hope of ever seeing it brought to life.

The problem with doing something like God of War is that you'd have to have a central figure. The Sil is full of snippets with numerous central figures. I think you'd be better off making a series of video games based on main characters from different parts of the story.

I think of all the stories in the Sil, the most well-formed, and for that matter my favorite, is the Lay of the Children of Hurin. A video game (and a movie!) based on Turin could be excellent. It has all the makings of a great epic, and has a spectacular finish.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

I meant Thingol, if I recal there was a Human stronghold led by a woman who took over after he parents were slain and held off the assault long enough for Thingol to arrive offering them land on the border between him and Morgoth.
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And I would absolutely love a Silmarillion based video game, so long as they were loyal to the material.
I can promise that they wouldn't be.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

It can be, the games were loyal to the movie adaption for the most part.

Also God of War as it turns out is fairly loyal to the original greek myths.

Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
Is it? I've never played it and admittedly don't know the details, but Kratos seems to have gone up against quite a few people that, according to mythology, he wasn't supposed to. Heck, in GoW3 he seems to kill most of the Greek Pantheon.
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
No, GOW isn't even close, really.
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Not literally no, I mean the feel of it the sense of mythology of the Greek gods as arseholes and selfish neutral evil bastards the lot of them, with the blood, the guts, the killings the massacres for their amusement and the general case of people back then being pricks.

THAT is good effort at emulating Greek Mythology for a game, people have spent so many years with a white washed Greek mythology that downplays all their faults and removes the whole egotistical prick shtick from them that its surprising to them just how awful the Greek Gods actually were as 'people'.

And God of War shows that and doesn't white wash or downplay a single thing and then lets us show their comeuppance in true Greek fashion one satisfactory gory spine chilling atrocity beating the crap out of them one punch and stabbing at a time followed by one deicide after another.

The game's take on Greek Mythology is their gotterdamerung, the downfall and passing of the age of mythology and the emergence of the world and destiny of man.

Killing Poisedon FLOODS THE WORLD and releases control of the seas making them chaotic, ripping Helio's head from his shoulders and then using it as your own personal casual flashlight darkens the world, Hades death releases the souls of the dead from the Underworld, in a sense the death of each God destroys the world bit by bit so it can be born anew with Man taking its rightful place at the top of the pecking order.

Killing the Sisters of Fate releases man from its unchanging destiny of Slavery to the whims of capricious Deities allowing Man to take control of its own Destiny and in a sense Kratos going around and killing every single Mythical monster is in a sense pest control eliminating creatures that would threaten Man's dominion.

In short God of War is loyal to the Greek Myths in the spirit of things, it portrays them as the Myths would but has a original story that I would imagine takes place "after" the end of the recorded Greek myths.

Of course this does leave the question of what sequels would bring, maybe killing the Pantheons of the Egyptian and Babylonian Gods?

So yes, I would argue that God of War did do the research when making the game and shows it, Giant Monstrous Scorpions and all.

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

quote:
Originally posted by Blayne Bradley:
It can be, the games were loyal to the movie adaption for the most part.

Also God of War as it turns out is fairly loyal to the original greek myths.

Yeah, except the movies, while most people consider them GOOD adaptations, aren't nearly 100% loyal to the books, so, fruits of the poisonous tree there.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

well bitter tree not poison, "ooh they cut out tom bombadil tralala RUINED forever!"
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Tom Bombadil doesn't even register as an offense. He lifts right out. I think, for all the cuts that were made, Fellowship still comes out remarkably well. As does Two Towers, mostly.

Return of the King though, could have been many, many times better. Too much was added or removed, and in some cases, they focused on the wrong things. I still think it's a good movie, and I have to say, there are some scenes that come off on screen a million times better than I ever imagined from just reading it (the lighting of the beacons is the most obvious example). But it could have been a lot better had they stayed true to some of the material that was cut or altered.

Blayne Bradley
unregistered

We're still talking about 99% loyalty for Movie I, 98.5% for Movie 2 and Maybe 94.9% for Movie III.

A video game on the Silmarillion could be as low as 70% true to the book with 30% being adaption expansion and it would still be worth it.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.