FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Dwarf Fortress

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress
0Megabyte
Member # 8624

- posted      Profile for 0Megabyte   Email 0Megabyte         Edit/Delete Post 
So, a few months ago I stumbled over this weird, and highly complicated video game called Dwarf Fortress.

It's about dwarves. Who you build a fortress for.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone else here on hatrack had heard of it. It's really, really, really complex, and it still only has ASCII graphics, but if you're into complicated games I would recommend it.

Here's a link to the game itself, and here's a link to the wiki/instruction manual of the game. Trust me, you'd need it.

So yeah, shameless plug for a neat, offbeat game, and wondering if anyone else had heard of it.

Posts: 1577 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
I've heard of it, and there was a time when I would have been interested in playing it, but now that I spend large portions of my productive time thinking about games, I prefer my gaming time to be on non-thought-intensive things.

I thought that the latest version of Dwarf Fortress had actual graphics though?

Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
There are player-made skins that give it graphics, but the vanilla game has ASCII and likes it that way.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd heard of it. I think either Edge or Retro Gamer had an article about it.

Think I prefer my ASCII-flavored games at about a Nethack level of complexity, though.

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been playing DF for a while. I started playing several years ago when it was still in the 2d version, but I can't recall any more specific than that. I've posted links to it here a couple of times in the past.

The game definitely is a blast.

That said, this is probably a slightly bad time for new players to get into it. The most recent release added a ton of awesome new features, but it's somewhat buggy at the moment.

It's probably best for new players to go with the older 40d version. While it's missing some of the nice stuff from the new version, it's a pretty solid experience.

If anyone here does decide to start playing, the wiki is very very helpful.

Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0Megabyte
Member # 8624

- posted      Profile for 0Megabyte   Email 0Megabyte         Edit/Delete Post 
Very true.

Although, the wiki, which I linked to, is kind of in the middle of an uproar now that I actually look at it. The new version is wreaking havoc, and even they don't know what's going on with the new game.

Posts: 1577 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
I tried it out a couple of years ago. It was fun, but I wasn't interested in investing the time required to fully grasp its intricacies.
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.