FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » New Washing Machine

Author Topic: New Washing Machine
RivalOfTheRose
Member # 11535

- posted      Profile for RivalOfTheRose           Edit/Delete Post 
What do you guys know about those new-fangled HE (High Efficiency) machines?

They use a different detergent which costs more, but I am guessing uses less?

Do they make detergents in nice smells?

Anyone have any experience, good or bad?

Any other thoughts?

Thanks!

Posts: 468 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
They do a better job of cleaning clothes, but they are rougher on the fabric. The per-wash cost of detergent ends up being about the same, and Tide makes an excellent HE detergent that comes in all the same scents as their regular detergent.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

- posted      Profile for SenojRetep   Email SenojRetep         Edit/Delete Post 
We've had an HE washer for about 3 years and for us, it's largely worked the same as previous washers. We've been warned several times only to use HE detergent, and to use the right amount (which is much less than regular detergent) otherwise it can clog the system. We've used Tide and Costco cheapo and Wisk HE detergents (I think); my experience has been anywhere that sells regular detergent will have at least one HE selection.
Posts: 2926 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flying Fish
Member # 12032

- posted      Profile for Flying Fish   Email Flying Fish         Edit/Delete Post 
I've had one for about a year and a half. You use much less detergent, and in my experience, it's much gentler on the clothes. You also use less power and water.

Now the downside: almost all he washers are susceptible to persistent mildew and odor problems. You shouldn't leave clothes in there for an extended period of time, you shouldn't leave the door closed when not washing (so air can circulate), and you should use a special odor-prevntetive solution once a month, running it thru on a long, hot-water cycle. (These solutions aren't terribly expensive. From what I've read online, once you get an odor problem in a he machine, it's a b***h to get it fixed.

Also, on the plus side, most he's are big enough to was a rug or blanket which would normally have to go to a dry cleaner or commercial laundromat, so we've saved there.

Posts: 270 | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
paigereader
Member # 2274

- posted      Profile for paigereader   Email paigereader         Edit/Delete Post 
We've had a HE for about 4 yrs. Yes, the detergent is over-priced but you do use less. In fact, I know a guy that worked for Tide that said if you see any suds through the window of your HE, you're using too much soap. The drying times are faster, too.
Posts: 204 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.