FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The coolest thing ever (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: The coolest thing ever
Darth_Mauve
Member # 4709

- posted      Profile for Darth_Mauve   Email Darth_Mauve         Edit/Delete Post 
This is a game I'm playing with my son. Try to think of the Coolest Thing Ever.

Best so far:

Robotic Ninja Dinosaur Pirates with big freaking flame throwers.

Top that.

Posts: 1941 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
Robot Ninja DRAGON Pirates don't need flamethrowers.
Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Darth_Mauve
Member # 4709

- posted      Profile for Darth_Mauve   Email Darth_Mauve         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, but I think the movie "How To Raise A Dragon" dropped dragons down a few notches of coolness for those over 11 years of age.
Posts: 1941 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
"Robotic Ninja Dinosaur Pirates with big freaking flame throwers." with a pet monkey.
Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
August
Member # 12307

- posted      Profile for August   Email August         Edit/Delete Post 
Calvinball?
Posts: 47 | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Darth_Mauve
Member # 4709

Sharks with freakin lasers on their heads.
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Yeah, but I think the movie "How To Raise A Dragon" dropped dragons down a few notches of coolness for those over 11 years of age.
Um, speak for yourself there mister.
Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raventhief
Member # 9002

- posted      Profile for Raventhief   Email Raventhief         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by August:
Calvinball?

Calvinball! Greatest game ever.
Posts: 354 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
No, no, no. Calvinball's just great.

Ultimate Frisbee is the greatest game ever invented by man.

Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Anything trying *that* hard to be cool likely isn't.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

- posted      Profile for AchillesHeel   Email AchillesHeel         Edit/Delete Post 
Wil Wheaton-Betty White buddy cop movie in space.

Or Jack Black and Jack White figuring out how man-birth babies just so we can have the discussion of "is the baby black or white" and have no referance to race.

Posts: 2302 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
The sound of a soda can being opened durring a picninc on a warm, breezy, summer day.

Watching the snow fall gently onto the dark green of the forrest just outside your cabin's window.

Opening the mailbox to discover a letter from an old friend.

Laying down at the end of the day to discover that for once, you've accomplished everything you wanted to that day.

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Week-Dead Possum
Member # 11917

- posted      Profile for Week-Dead Possum           Edit/Delete Post 
An invisible hydrogen fueled jet propelled monkey navigated amphibian spaceship with unlimited reverse-photon beams... that can make women's clothes fall off.
Posts: 79 | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy
Member # 4119

- posted      Profile for Tammy   Email Tammy         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Week-Dead Possum:
An invisible hydrogen fueled jet propelled monkey navigated amphibian spaceship with unlimited reverse-photon beams... that can make women's clothes fall off.

That last part could be either the coolest thing ever or the scariest thing ever. I suppose it all depends on who's clothes are falling off and who's around to witness it.
Posts: 3771 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

An infinite improbability drive.

Because it could make any and all of these things improbably pop into and out of reality at random intervals depending upon their unlikeliness.

Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sean Monahan
Member # 9334

- posted      Profile for Sean Monahan   Email Sean Monahan         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Hobbes:

What the hell's a mailbox?
Posts: 1080 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rollainm
Member # 8318

- posted      Profile for rollainm   Email rollainm         Edit/Delete Post 
Me.

Bam. Endgame.

Posts: 1945 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Darth_Mauve:
This is a game I'm playing with my son. Try to think of the Coolest Thing Ever.

Best so far:

Top that.

Sounds like you should be reading Axe Cop to your son. Maybe a little violent. But Wexter is right up his alley.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jebus202
Member # 2524

- posted      Profile for jebus202   Email jebus202         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:
quote:

Anything trying *that* hard to be cool likely isn't.
It's rare I agree with you potter head, but he's playing the game with his kid so stop being a d*ck.
Posts: 3564 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MEC
Member # 2968

- posted      Profile for MEC   Email MEC         Edit/Delete Post 
0 K

*ba* *dum* *ching*

Posts: 2489 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
Leatherback turtles laying their eggs on the beach under a full moon.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
This is kind of like the game I play with my son: The Grossest Thing Ever. I won't list the current chart toppers.
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Darth_Mauve
Member # 4709

Sasha: Kickball is the new Map (state achievement)test.

OK. That's cool.

T:man
Member # 11614

- posted      Profile for T:man   Email T:man         Edit/Delete Post 
My Black Berry [Wink]
Posts: 1574 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by PSI Teleport:
This is kind of like the game I play with my son: The Grossest Thing Ever. I won't list the current chart toppers.

damn. uh, for me, it would be ... REDACTED

most awesome thing: lightning?

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

quote:
quote:
The sound of a soda can being opened durring a picninc on a warm, breezy, summer day.

Watching the snow fall gently onto the dark green of the forrest just outside your cabin's window.

Laying down at the end of the day to discover that for once, you've accomplished everything you wanted to that day.

I believe in the context of this game, these would fall under the category of sappiest thing ever.
Alcon
Member # 6645

Actually, I believe the coolest thing ever would be the Rhodium atom referenced in this wikipedia article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Absolute_zero#Very_low_temperatures
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
I think this is the coolest thing ever, and has been for many years now.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Darth_Mauve
Member # 4709

That reminds my of Sasha's suggestion--A Wookie Dragon.
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Alcon:
quote:
I believe in the context of this game, these would fall under the category of sappiest thing ever.
Turtles the size of tanks crawling out of the ocean all around you is not sappy.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

Yes, but for the context of the game, description is key.

That's sappy.

Turtles the size of tanks laying their eggs on the beach under a full moon.

Okay, less sappy.

Turtles the size of tanks swarming out of the ocean to spawn a new hoard in the depth of night.

Getting cooler. See?

The Rabbit
Member # 671

My perspective on what constitutes "cooler" has been immutably altered by experiences like watching tank size leatherback turtles laying their eggs in the full moon light on a deserted beach.

If ten year old boys don't agree, let them try it and see.

Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. It's like watching someone do a Hadouken on a bunny rabbit [Wink]
Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Darth_Mauve
Member # 4709

Having ten year old boys trying to lay their eggs in the full moon light on a deserted beach is not cool. Its sick and wrong.

Oh, you mean have them watch the tank sized leatherback turtles....

never mind.

PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd argue that the coolest thing ever is sex. Now, I'm aware that this wouldn't win an argument with a ten-year-old boy, nor should it be presented. But considering that boys tend to drop (or postpone) playing with Legos and tanks and barbecue bombs and bottle rockets for girls when they hit high school is pretty compelling evidence.
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Darth_Mauve
Member # 4709

Too generic. See I could trump your "just sex" with specifics involving who, how, where, and with what major kitchen appliance, but this is a family forum so we'll skip that line of awesomeness.
Geraine
Member # 9913

- posted      Profile for Geraine   Email Geraine         Edit/Delete Post 
The coolest thing ever?

Chuck Norris of course.

Posts: 1937 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
Bah
Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Godric
Member # 4587

- posted      Profile for Godric   Email Godric         Edit/Delete Post 
This seems strangely apropos of this thread.
Posts: 1295 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The White Whale
Member # 6594

- posted      Profile for The White Whale           Edit/Delete Post 
As does this.
Posts: 1711 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

- posted      Profile for AchillesHeel   Email AchillesHeel         Edit/Delete Post 
Hate me if you will, but I know you will speaking like them for a while.
Posts: 2302 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

quote:
Originally posted by Darth_Mauve:
Too generic. See I could trump your "just sex" with specifics involving who, how, where, and with what major kitchen appliance, but this is a family forum so we'll skip that line of awesomeness.

But, see, it's the sex that adds coolness to the major kitchen appliance, not then other way around.

Anyway, yeah. Skipping specifics.

Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

Speaking of things that add awesome to other things:

Lightning Chainsaw

Caption reads "Anyone can add a chainsaw to make something awesome, but it takes a great man to add awesome to a chainsaw."

What's REALLY funny (speaking of sex making things more awesome, specifically) is that the full version of that picture looks like this (NSFW). Which leaves us with the interesting question: which is more awesome, Lightning Chainsaws or Lightning Chainsaws + Sexy Naked Demon chicks. (It is my opinion that the sexy naked demon chick actually distracts from the Lightning Chainsaw's awesomeness rather than complimenting it).

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Mucus:
Bah

That was pretty awesome, but I think Mel Gibson's Maverick could beat Chow Yun Fat's God of Gamblers. Well he'd win in the long run, he'd get walked all over at first, but that's why he's so awesome.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Godric
Member # 4587

- posted      Profile for Godric   Email Godric         Edit/Delete Post 
Alien vs. Pooh.

I win the thread.

[Cool]

Posts: 1295 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DDDaysh
Member # 9499

- posted      Profile for DDDaysh   Email DDDaysh         Edit/Delete Post 
No, no, all of you have forgotten to add "with a light saber" to your answers. Everyone knows that anything is cooler with a sword, and a lazer sword trumps all!
Posts: 1321 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

Um, I beg to differ. Lightning Chainsaw most definitely trumps lazer sword.
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

Although I confess that perhaps I could have added "Robot ninja dinasaur" TO the Lightning Chainsaw. I think that might have detracted from the Lightning Chainsaw rather than added to it though.
Sean Monahan
Member # 9334

- posted      Profile for Sean Monahan   Email Sean Monahan         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Raymond Arnold:
Um, I beg to differ.

I'll have to disagree as well. Adding more and more light sabres did not make Episode II cooler. [Wink]
Posts: 1080 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

Yeah, the thing you really have to remember is that coolness has a diminishing return. Slapping a variety of awesome things together does not an awesome thing make. If you're combining things, you need to make sure they have synergy.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.