FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I love my dog; or why do we feel such a bond to our pets? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: I love my dog; or why do we feel such a bond to our pets?
Tammy
Member # 4119

- posted      Profile for Tammy   Email Tammy         Edit/Delete Post 
While we were on vacation, my parents stayed at the house with the kids and the dogs. My mom forgot that when everyone is gone, Sid, the 1 yr. old Catahoula likes to go into our bedroom and sleep on our bed. She shut the door when she left him home alone. He tried to eat it open.

He chewed a two foot gap into the door molding. He paid for it by having extreme intestional issues. Thankfully he didn't have any blockages, he just puked his guts out both ways for two days. His intestines were inflamed and MAD. Do you think he'll equate the pain with wood chewing and not do it again?

He's been on Hill's Prescription Diet Dog food for the past three days. The first day he couldn't have anything to eat at all until 5 p.m. and then only after he kept a cup of water down for an hour.

That stinker almost gave me a heartattack. [Eek!]

Posts: 3771 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Armoth
Member # 4752

- posted      Profile for Armoth   Email Armoth         Edit/Delete Post 
My brother and his wife just got an 8 week-old shih tzu. It is the cutest thing I have ever seen. I LOVE her. Her name is ruby because when she goes into the sun, her beautiful brown fur looks like a really brilliant red.
Posts: 1604 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

- posted      Profile for AchillesHeel   Email AchillesHeel         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by kmbboots:
Plus, she would alert the neighbors.

I must know, how?
Posts: 2302 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
She is very vocal. She already sits in the window (I am on the first floor of a courtyard buliding) and "chats" with anyone going in or out. She can be very loud when unhappy.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sala
Member # 8980

- posted      Profile for Sala           Edit/Delete Post 
I love my pup. He's coming up on two years old now, and is costing us an arm and a leg because his pancreas doesn't produce any enzymes so we have to provide it for him, and it costs a fortune. [Frown] But he's wonderful. As long as we can afford it we'll be keeping him. We have a nightly ritual that I really love. When it's time to go to bed we'll take him out, then when he comes in hubby and I kneel at the foot of our bed (one on each corner) to say prayers and pup comes running in and puts his front legs and paws up on the bed as if to pray with us. He gives us both kisses then lays down while we pray. It's really sweet. [Smile]
Posts: 315 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tammy:
Do you think he'll equate the pain with wood chewing and not do it again?

Nope, dog brains don't work that way. It's the same reason why yelling at the dog after you've found he's knocked over the trash while you were gone doesn't work. Dogs are incredibly good at reading people - he'll know you're upset about finding the trash can on its side. And he'll look sad and pitiful (i.e. guilty) because he doesn't want you taking your anger out on him. But he can't connect the act of joyously rummaging through the trash with the trash you find on the ground hours later. Two completely separate things, with no connection.
Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Yep....if you catch them in the act, at that very moment, they get it. Otherwise, they are sorry they upset you, but they don't know HOW they did it or WHY you are upset.

I have to remind myself of this whenever I find an "accident" from the new puppy. I want to stop, and I am angry, but swatting her even 5 min after she did it will only confuse her.

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
Sigh. My INSANE cat is at it again. He attacked me twice in the past 5 days merely because I was not doing what he wanted me to (namely, ignoring him and not providing food on demand).

This is the cat who was on Prozac for this kind of behavior. He got ever so much better and has been off it for a long time now, but now he's on Prednisone for heartworm (it's basically a prophylactic to prevent an allergic reaction/anaphylactic shock when the heartworm dies -- heartworm is a whole different, um I was about to say can of worms, well, anyway, it's different in cats than dogs and they can't kill it).

At any rate, the Prednisone makes him edgy. He's gotten in more fights w/ other cats since being on it as well. He doesn't fight w/ our indoor cats, but he does torment them more. I hate pumping this cat full of drugs, but I'm going to call the vet tomorrow and ask if he can be back on the Prozac while also on the pred, or if there is any other solution. The vet was quite firm that he stay on the pred for at least a year when the blood test turned up evidence of heartworm.

So the original question is pretty pertinent. Why do I feel such a bond to my pet? I love this little monster. Once I let him back in from his banishment in the garage he will come cuddle with me. I'm like an abused wife or something. "Oh, look how sweet, he didn't mean it." (Yeah he did, the little beastie, but I just don't know how to make him stop.)

Sigh. Thanks for letting me vent.

Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

Hope all works a=out for you and him. [Frown]
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Kwea. Got the prescription today, will start it tonight.

How's your pup?

Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

Good. Once I realize the people who gave her to me lied about her age it got easier. I stopped expecting so much from her and that made it less stressful for both of us.

She is now well over 40 lbs, and is within an inch of Champs height, and Champ is over 2 years old. Champ still has about 20 lbs on her, so they beat the crap out of each other.

Champ is the real star. He deserves a freaking medal for not only putting up with her but loving her.

They are both awesome, and I am very lucky. [Smile]

Kwea
Member # 2199

quote:
Originally posted by DarkKnight:
quote:
How's Flip now? Daisy sounds amazing!
He's doing great! He's pretty much back to his old self. On cold damp days he does favor that side a little but Flip is almost 11. So far except for sleeping later in the morning and relaxing a little more after walks he is in very good health.
Daisy really is an amazing dog. Her instinct for people's dispostion is incredible. She knows when to be very submissive and calm and when to wag the entire back half of her body as people approach. In July is her 'test' to be a therapy dog. I can't even begin to describe the personal benefits of seeing how happy she makes people just by visting for a few minutes.

How did Daisy's test for being a therapy dog go?
Kwea
Member # 2199

The "little" puppy is now 56 lbs. At 8.5 months old.

I am SOOOOOO screwed.

[Wink]

DarkKnight
Member # 7536

- posted      Profile for DarkKnight   Email DarkKnight         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
How did Daisy's test for being a therapy dog go?
She did AMAZING! I was even impressed at how she did and I trained her [Smile]
The test itself has a lot of sudden movements, loud sounds, and tasty treats thrown at her but she completely ignored everything as she should.
She has great instincts for knowing her 'job' so that made the training go pretty easy. I can see her mentally shift into her working mode where she is very calm, moves a just little slower, and looks slightly submissive at all times. We have taken her several times to the hospice facility and we walk the hall a few times. Usually people will let us know with a look that they would like company. Daisy is just so great with her approach. She has her head slightly low, her tail wags gently and she approaches slowly to the person's hand. She gives them a sniff and a tiny nudge which puts their hand on her head. People usually do the same thing. They pet her head, then her big ears. Daisy will sit and very gently lean on them just for the physical contact. People always tell me about their dogs and how cute she is. Daisy knows when it is time to go without a clue from me.
It is an amazing thing to see a dog bring a few moments of joy in such a sad place.

Posts: 1918 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rawrain
Member # 12414

- posted      Profile for Rawrain   Email Rawrain         Edit/Delete Post 
Necromancy and I have the most supreme hate of dogs, which no one else seems to share...

Cats win, I love my kitty :D
Really fat missing half his tail meow =^-^=

Posts: 461 | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

I won't hold that against you. Much.

[Wink]

Meetu, the puppy, is a lot of fun, but a lot of work too. She is a good dog now, and once she settles in she will be another great one, I think.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.