FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Computer Mayfly

Author Topic: Computer Mayfly
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
Here, briefly, is the situation:

My monitor flashed blue briefly, then small red squiggles appeared all over my display. I'm running Windows 7 (32-bit) and my graphics card is a geforce 9800 gt.

I shut down the computer, and checked the connections. When I rebooted, my screen resolution had gone to 800x600. I reinstalled my graphics drivers, and was able to restore the resolution, but these damn red squiggles are still here.

O ye that are wise in the way of This Stuff, I beg but a moment of your time. Is my graphics card kaput?

Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
Do you have any sort of graphics card temperature monitor? Maybe it's overheating and artifacting.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Update your antivirus program, then run a scan. Then use an updated version of Malwarebytes/Adaware/Spybot.

I've been reading complaints about a relatively new trojan being planted by careless ad farms onto usually safe sites (especially blogs) that messes up computers in various ways, forcing the user to reboot, which activates the trojan.

[ April 22, 2010, 06:58 AM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

quote:
Do you have any sort of graphics card temperature monitor? Maybe it's overheating and artifacting.
Could overheating cause this effect permanently?
Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
String
Member # 6435

- posted      Profile for String   Email String         Edit/Delete Post 
My roommate had something similar happen to his PC. Instead of squiggly the lines are straight. In his case the graphics card was shot.
Posts: 278 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

quote:
Originally posted by Juxtapose:
quote:
Could overheating cause this effect permanently?
I believe so.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

Well, I opened up my case to double-check the connections and now I get no picture at all. Guess a new card it is.

Thanks for the help, guys.

Jon Boy
Member # 4284

Did you try removing and reseating the card?
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

I did. The no picture thing turned out to be a separate (but easily fixable) issue with my monitor. Reseating the card still leaves the artifacts.

I ended up calling the manufacturer this afternoon, and they're going to replace the card for me, so I won't need to buy a new one. Hooray, for that, at least. [Smile]

Jon Boy
Member # 4284

Nice!
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

Indeed. Thanks again. [Smile]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.