FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I got to ask Neil deGrasse Tyson a question!

Author Topic: I got to ask Neil deGrasse Tyson a question!
The White Whale
Member # 6594

- posted      Profile for The White Whale           Edit/Delete Post 
I know a lot of you out there are fans of Neil DeGrasse Tyson. Through a lot of luck and some good timimg, I got to (anonymously) ask him a question. It was through Reddit, which I frequent. A post appeared last night (here) where someone managed to get Dr. Tyson to answer a few questions from the Reddit community, and my question got voted up to the top.

Here was my question (I am ozonesonde):

quote:
If you could get one minute of undivided attention from every single human being on this planet, what would you use it for?
And here is Dr. Tyson's response:

quote:
I would tell them that the atoms of out bodies are traceable to stars that manufactured them in their cores and exploded these enriched ingredients across our galaxy, billions of years ago. For this reason, we are biologically connected to every other living thing in the world. We are chemically connected to all molecules on Earth. And we are atomically connected to all atoms in the universe. We are not figuratively, but literally stardust.
And here is the rest of his response.

It all happened very fast, but I'm thrilled to have been able to get him to respond to something that emerged directly from by brain. It's something he has said before (many times) in his speeches and interviews, but I think it's an excellent response.

Posts: 1711 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rollainm
Member # 8318

- posted      Profile for rollainm   Email rollainm         Edit/Delete Post 
That's awesome! [Smile]
Posts: 1945 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm really jealous, that's really cool. His answer looks a little like recycled material from programs that he's done on TV, but clearly he feels these are important things, and certainly, it's mind bogglingly powerful information when you hear it for the first time.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm glad that he seems to be getting more and more media attention lately. He has some really interesting things to say.

If you follow him on Twitter, he occasionally shares some cool pieces of info.

@neiltyson

Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
very awesome. Congrats White Whale!
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
Want to hear him sing that answer?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGK84Poeynk

Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
Awesome!

I got to ask him a question at one of his book signings. It was very simple and silly compared to yours, though.

I asked him what his favorite planet was.

The answer: Saturn. Nothing is sexier than all those rings.

Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The White Whale
Member # 6594

- posted      Profile for The White Whale           Edit/Delete Post 
Flaunt those voluptuous ellipses!
Posts: 1711 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
Forgive me for injecting religion here, but that is very similar to the Ash Wednesday homilies at my parish. On Ash Wednesday, we are marked with ashed with the words, "Dust you are and to dust you shall return" reminding us of the story in Genesis where God makes man from dust. Often this can be depressing, but at my church we are also reminded of exactly what Mr. Tyson points out and that dust is pretty awesome.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.