FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » How Hot is your Tea?

Author Topic: How Hot is your Tea?
manji
Member # 11600

- posted      Profile for manji           Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone know the optimal temperature/time to steep the tea leaves for the various kinds of tea, like green, rooibos, oolong, black, et cetera?
Posts: 339 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
Can vary considerably by blend. Few ways to get truly OPTIMAL time, but ... try going to a dedicated teahouse (Tealuxe in Boston, for instance) and try out a tea there, get their steeping time for that particular blend, then buy the blend.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
Member # 8099

- posted      Profile for steven   Email steven         Edit/Delete Post 
I prefer cold steeping...I like to just leave the bag(s) in room temperature water for several hours.
Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Below one kilometre (~3300feet) above sea level, just below boiling hot; ie when the kettle starts becoming noisy at sifflement,
"The resulting noise just before full boiling sets in is a familiar one to serious tea-drinkers, once known as the 'singing' of the kettle."

Above one kilometre, boiling point...though you might not be able to brew a really good cuppa above one mile.

[ April 29, 2010, 10:18 PM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Green tea cannot be steeped for too long.
That is why it tends to be kind of bitter when I make it. Because I let my earl grey tea brew for longer than the recommended 6 minutes.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The White Whale
Member # 6594

- posted      Profile for The White Whale           Edit/Delete Post 
Green tea suffers from steeping for too long (really 1 - 2 minutes, tops) and from water that's too hot. I pour the water when little bubbles just start to form on the bottom. I think that's around 170 - 180 F.
Posts: 1711 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.