FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The Snooze Button

Author Topic: The Snooze Button
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
Do you press it? How many times each morning?

It is the only habit my wife has that makes me nuts. I can't stand it. I rarely need the alarm myself. I almost always wake up 2 - 3 minutes before I am supposed to be up. Mornings when I can sleep in though, and she hits it 2 or more times, I want to scream. I can always fall back to sleep after the first alarm, the second one always has me wide awake.

Don't get me started on the old college days when those in rooms next door would hit it, and run to class without turning the alarm off.

Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
they have silent alarm clocks now. You wear a bracelet that vibrates when its time to wake you.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sean Monahan
Member # 9334

- posted      Profile for Sean Monahan   Email Sean Monahan         Edit/Delete Post 
I have mine set for 8:00am. I hit the snooze repeatedly until 8:36am.

Though, like you, I rarely need the alarm; I just use it as a safeguard. I can count on one hand the number of times I've actually not woken up before it goes off.

Posts: 1080 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

- posted      Profile for AchillesHeel   Email AchillesHeel         Edit/Delete Post 
Two cellphones that I own go off repeatedly at seperate intervals until I get up. My slovenly approach to life has taught me that I dont have to get up at nine to be on time for work, nine twenty-one is just fine especially when you can time it to the ringtone alarms going off.
Posts: 2302 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sean Monahan:

Though, like you, I rarely need the alarm; I just use it as a safeguard. I can count on one hand the number of times I've actually not woken up before it goes off.

I wake up approximately 30 seconds before the alarm goes off almost every morning, but I still hit it twice- it's really incredible how one can tell immediately upon waking just about what time it is without even looking at a watch.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
What if the people who think they have an accurate inner alarm clock are just not remembering the 32 times they came partly awake to check the time on the bedside clock before the last time?

Try not to let your blown mind spray on the LCD.

Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

...In the last five days?

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sean Monahan
Member # 9334

- posted      Profile for Sean Monahan   Email Sean Monahan         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Hobbes:
quote:

...In the last five days?

Hobbes [Smile]

Actually, in about the last 20 years.

It's seems to be a sophisticated biological alarm clock. Even when I was in college, and my schedule was such that I needed to get up at a different time every day, my bio-clock would always wake me up at the appropriate time (about a half hour before the alarm). And on the days when I don't need to get up, it doesn't go off.

Though I wonder if what is actually happening is that I'm periodically waking up, checking the time, and falling immediately back asleep without ever remembering it.

In response to the OP, I should also say that I live alone and do not share my bed. If I did, I don't think I would do the repeated snooze alarm thing.

Posts: 1080 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Unless I went to sleep less than four hours before, I always wake up before my alarm.

However, just because my body woke up on its own doesn't mean I got enough sleep, and on mornings where I didn't, I'll stay in bed as long as I can trying to rest, which often involves hitting snooze a lot.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elmer's Glue
Member # 9313

- posted      Profile for Elmer's Glue   Email Elmer's Glue         Edit/Delete Post 
I have multiple alarms set on my phone every day and I always hit the snooze for an hour.
Posts: 1287 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

quote:
Though I wonder if what is actually happening is that I'm periodically waking up, checking the time, and falling immediately back asleep without ever remembering it.
You kind of ruined my post.
Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sean Monahan
Member # 9334

quote:
Originally posted by scifibum:
quote:
You kind of ruined my post.
I think I may have to experiment with this. Turn the clock off, or position it so I can't see it, and see what happens.

ETA: D'oh! scifibum, somehow in this thread your post is the only one I missed.

Orincoro
Member # 8854

quote:
Originally posted by scifibum:
What if the people who think they have an accurate inner alarm clock are just not remembering the 32 times they came partly awake to check the time on the bedside clock before the last time?

I do often wake up in advance of the alarm by 20 or even 30 minutes, so you may be right.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
That can't be me - you can't see the numbers unless you push the button. I'd need to be waking up, reaching over, pushing the buttom and lifting it to me (I sleep below the level of the bedside table), and then putting it back and not remembering any of it. That seems unlikely.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

Some people go to the kitchen, make a snack, eat it, and remove the evidence of having done so, without remembering any of it.

Those people are on Ambien, though.

Orincoro
Member # 8854

quote:
Originally posted by katharina:
That can't be me - you can't see the numbers unless you push the button. I'd need to be waking up, reaching over, pushing the buttom and lifting it to me (I sleep below the level of the bedside table), and then putting it back and not remembering any of it. That seems unlikely.

Do you never have any memory of doing such a thing, or do you only remember the times you remember doing it? DUH DUH DUH!!!
The Reader
Member # 3636

- posted      Profile for The Reader   Email The Reader         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Samprimary:
they have silent alarm clocks now. You wear a bracelet that vibrates when its time to wake you.

Is this also for being under house arrest?
Posts: 684 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I have sleep apnea so this is troublesome for me but my computer has a digital alarm clock (software) that I have set to use a specific mp3 music file to wake me up (Soviet March RA3 ost), Ill often wake up several times a night in 30 minute intervals so I just check my phone for the time and then go back to sleep instantly.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a deep sleeper and I hate mornings. I set three separate alarm on my iphone. The second alarm goes off 5 minutes after the first, and the third goes off 10 minutes after the second. And each alarm is its own sound. Waking myself up gradually is the only way I can get up.

I don't use the snooze option because I won't even remember how many times I've hit it until its too late. By training my brain to recognize my "final alarm," it helps keep me on schedule.

Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattP
Member # 10495

- posted      Profile for MattP   Email MattP         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm very erratic. Though I never wake up before my alarm, sometimes I'll set an early-ish alarm (6:30) and will hop right out of bed while other times I will hit snooze repeatedly for an hour or more. This morning I snooze buttoned my way from 7:00 to 9:00.
Posts: 3275 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pegasus
Member # 10464

- posted      Profile for Pegasus   Email Pegasus         Edit/Delete Post 
I use the kitchen timer built into the stove top in my kitchen. This forces me to go out there, and reset it for the next unit of time to sleep, then I go back to bed.
My usual intervals are something like 20, 15, 10, 5 minutes.
I'm sure this really bugs my wife but I haven't found a better solution yet.
After getting up and showering I usually carpool to work. Sometimes I fall back asleep in the car for the 30 minute ride.

Posts: 369 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DDDaysh
Member # 9499

- posted      Profile for DDDaysh   Email DDDaysh         Edit/Delete Post 
I can get up, walk across the room, turn off the alarm and go back to bed without remembering any of it.

Needless to say I have multiple alarm clocks and my cell phone, and I usually rotate through them for about an hour and a half before my brain is truly awake enough to realize that "yes, it is time to get up" and "Yes, I will get fired if I don't get up NOW".

So be glad I'm not your wife, because I never hit the snooze button twice - it's more like twenty times!

Posts: 1321 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LargeTuna
Member # 10512

- posted      Profile for LargeTuna   Email LargeTuna         Edit/Delete Post 
I set my alarm so the snooze only workd twice. that way I can't just keep snoozing and sleep throught the whole morning. If I make it possible to keep letting myself sleep I will undoubtedly sleep. I would sleep all day if I didn't have things to do every darn single day.
Posts: 856 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rollainm
Member # 8318

- posted      Profile for rollainm   Email rollainm         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by DDDaysh:
I can get up, walk across the room, turn off the alarm and go back to bed without remembering any of it.

Needless to say I have multiple alarm clocks and my cell phone, and I usually rotate through them for about an hour and a half before my brain is truly awake enough to realize that "yes, it is time to get up" and "Yes, I will get fired if I don't get up NOW".

So be glad I'm not your wife, because I never hit the snooze button twice - it's more like twenty times!

Hehe. That's pretty much me, too. My wife is worse, though, so no complaints from her.
Posts: 1945 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
My mornings go in nine-minute chunks. I always, always set my alarm earlier than I need so that I can hit the snooze button a couple more times. Somehow, it just feels better to "get" a bit of extra sleep than it does to get up immediately.

Then again, I am an odd one.

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rollainm:
quote:
Originally posted by DDDaysh:

Hehe. That's pretty much me, too. My wife is worse, though, so no complaints from her.
man people get terrible sleep [Frown]
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hank
Member # 8916

- posted      Profile for Hank   Email Hank         Edit/Delete Post 
I had a housemate in college who was a notorious snoozer. Every day, she planned to get up and go running at 5:30, but she never actually got up until close to 7. Add to this that she slept on the top bunk, which meant that every time her alarm went off, it would take about 5 minuted for her to convince herself to get out of bed, walk to the other end of the room and hit snooze. Then she'd climb back into bed and we'd do the whole thing over again in 20 minutes. Everyone on our side of the house started wearing earplugs, or her body would probably be in a ditch somewhere. There was a lot of sleep-loss-related rage.
Posts: 368 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I program my cell phone and actual alarm clock to go off about 20 minutes before I know I actually have to be up, and vary the interval length between subsequent alarms depending on how urgent it is that I get up on time that day. Usually I hit the snooze on the two different alarms 5-15 times before I turn them off and wake up. My internal alarm clock is actually pretty good when I'm fairly well rested, but I almost never adhere to it.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SoaPiNuReYe
Member # 9144

- posted      Profile for SoaPiNuReYe           Edit/Delete Post 
Generally all I have to do is set my alarm clock. I usually wake up in time for me to turn it off before it actually goes off.
Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't needed an alarm clock in ten years. I still have one, but there hasn't been a day in ten years in which I haven't woken up before the alarm and walked across the room to turn it off before it could ring.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rollainm
Member # 8318

- posted      Profile for rollainm   Email rollainm         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
I haven't needed an alarm clock in ten years. I still have one, but there hasn't been a day in ten years in which I haven't woken up before the alarm and walked across the room to turn it off before it could ring.

Well, clearly, you're not human. Just sayin.
Posts: 1945 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Y
Member # 11590

- posted      Profile for Mr. Y   Email Mr. Y         Edit/Delete Post 
This morning I pressed the snooze button twice. I don't know why... I might have had something to do with thefact that I changed my covers last night and was enjoying the sensation of fresh bedding.

There is no rule to my use of the snooze button. At times I will have more difficulties getting up in the mornings and I'll be using pressing that button every morning. But since I have to catch a bus to get to work, getting up later just means I have to do everything else in less time.

Posts: 1100 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholarette
Member # 11540

- posted      Profile for scholarette           Edit/Delete Post 
I generally like to set the alarm for the last possible minute. Given the choice, I would rather take my 5 minutes extra without the interruption of an annoying beep. My husband is the opposite and I have pretty much learned to ignore the first alarm.
Posts: 2223 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tarrsk
Member # 332

- posted      Profile for Tarrsk           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:

Shh. It's programmed to think that it's human.
Posts: 1321 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

quote:
quote:

It just means that he's probably actually getting good sleep. Most of us don't. Anyone who can sleep through multiple alarms while habitually turning them off is almost assuredly getting bad sleep.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.