FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Unprecedented Historic Event, Allies Marching Together in Red Square (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Unprecedented Historic Event, Allies Marching Together in Red Square
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Blayne Bradley:
The prosecution rests its case.

[Laugh] [ROFL]
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I assume you missed Tom's post.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

- posted      Profile for Dan_Frank   Email Dan_Frank         Edit/Delete Post 
Blayne, I'm not Tom. However, I'm pretty sure Tom is asking Orincoro to cool it because...

A) He thinks Orincoro generally behaves with basic decency and avoids using too much profanity or going off on huge whiny rants, and...

B) Even more importantly, he thinks Orincoro might actually listen to him, and dial his venom back a notch.

You've already proven in this thread that neither A nor B seem to apply to you.

The fact that Tom did not, at this moment, ask you to behave, does not in some way validate your behavior thus far.

Posts: 3580 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
It's actually vaguely comforting.
Which says an awful lot about you.
Indeed.
It says I feast upon your nerd rage.

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
No, I didn't. LOL.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by Orincoro:
No, I didn't. LOL.

And look how the mighty have fallen, degenerated to the typical Last Man.
Destineer
Member # 821

- posted      Profile for Destineer           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, this is a nasty one.

I'm actually with Blayne on his initial point, that it's cool to see this sort of symbolic gesture of friendship between Russia and the West. Especially after some of the ill-considered rhetoric tossed around during the Russia-Georgia conflict (ahem John "We Are All Georgians" McCain).

Posts: 4600 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Blayne: when you think you're insulting someone effectively by referencing TV Tropes, you are not. Please treat this as a truism.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by Dan_Frank:
Blayne, I'm not Tom. However, I'm pretty sure Tom is asking Orincoro to cool it because...

A) He thinks Orincoro generally behaves with basic decency and avoids using too much profanity or going off on huge whiny rants, and...

B) Even more importantly, he thinks Orincoro might actually listen to him, and dial his venom back a notch.

You've already proven in this thread that neither A nor B seem to apply to you.

The fact that Tom did not, at this moment, ask you to behave, does not in some way validate your behavior thus far.

I think to an extant it does as my primary issue had in fact been Orincolo's behavior and him asking him to cool it supports my complaint that Orincolo had been acting in a completely unjustified manner.

You should at least understand that I do not act this way because I like it only because I am unjustly provoked into doing so by people with the maturity of 4chan users and should come to no surprise if you try everything in your power to insult and poke someone with a short fuse what do you expect?

Janitor doesn't police the threads often enough to prevent people from acting like dicks and swearing is the only way to get his attention that yes people are acting like dicks to me.

Blayne Bradley
unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
Blayne: when you think you're insulting someone effectively by referencing TV Tropes, you are not. Please treat this as a truism.

The hell you talking about. The only obscure reference I used as an insult is from Thus Spoke Zarathustra.
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Especially after some of the ill-considered rhetoric tossed around during the Russia-Georgia conflict (ahem John "We Are All Georgians" McCain).
Ill-considered only because we don't actually care very much if Russia rolls into Georgia or not.
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Launchywiggin:
You're a troll.

Your posts belie this fact.

For your amusement:
quote:
--Lisa if your not going to even both posting in the discussion page then dont edit out my contribution its rude.--
[[User:Blayne-T383|Blayne-T383]] 21:17, 19 June 2007 (UTC)

link
Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Week-Dead Possum
Member # 11917

- posted      Profile for Week-Dead Possum           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

You should at least understand that I do not act this way because I like it only because I am unjustly provoked into doing so by people with the maturity of 4chan users and should come to no surprise if you try everything in your power to insult and poke someone with a short fuse what do you expect?

Take a look back at the sequence of posts there little buddy. I asked how you couldn't see the cynicism in the act, or how you could ignore it, and you responded by saying I didn't even have a right to comment.

"Waaawwaaawaaa they provoked me" is the excuse I get from my 7 year old students when I catch them kicking each other in the head because one of them said the other was smelly. Are you 7? Or are you a reality show contestant who knows they can get attention by flying off the handle at the slightest afront to your supposed dignity because we should all know how very delicate and sensitive your ego is, and we should all laud your "participation" as the work of genius you so clearly believe it to be? Or are you angry because your shilling for mass murderers does, somewhere in your addled brain, strike you as the slightest bit off-key?

Posts: 79 | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

"You should at least understand that the way I act is never really MY fault; I blame others!"

quote:
Janitor doesn't police the threads often enough to prevent people from acting like dicks and swearing is the only way to get his attention that yes people are acting like dicks to me.
This is retarded.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
You should at least understand that I do not act this way because I like it only because I am unjustly provoked into doing so...
Blayne, you are responsible for your behavior. No one else can make you behave badly.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

Put another way, why do you give the people who provoke you so much power over you?

Because look, let's say for the sake of argument that you're entirely right about your behavior being totally provoked and not so bad anyway, that you're being persecuted and whatnot. That there are some jerks who go out of their way to hound you.

If all of that is true, why let them wind you up so badly? Seriously. From your perspective, you flipping out is obviously one of the goals of antagonizing you...so why do it so reliably?

That's not reverse psychology, that's an honest question. If you're right, Samprimary, Orincoro, et al, are targeting you. If that's true, don't you realize your reactions are exactly the kind of thing they'd be going for?

When are the things you say going to be your responsibility, Blayne? In all the years you've been on Hatrack, it's almost always someone else's fault.

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jebus202
Member # 2524

- posted      Profile for jebus202   Email jebus202         Edit/Delete Post 
Guys, do you honestly think anything you say is going to infiltrate Blayne's world view?

You've told him all this before.

I can't believe that you haven't yet figured out that the way to make Blayne listen to you is to put it up on TV Tropes instead of actually posting it. I really suggest you try it, it could be like having your own Hatrack puppet if you work it well enough.

Posts: 3564 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

*shrug* Sometimes he listens, for awhile at least.
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

It's more of a case of "sometimes I calm down."
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
It's more of a case of 'sometimes you grow up, but only in tiny, tiny steps, which aren't noticeable until you take a few months break from reading your threads'.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Destineer
Member # 821

quote:
Ill-considered only because we don't actually care very much if Russia rolls into Georgia or not.
Nor should we. There are plenty of bigger world problems we could put a dent in, that don't involve messing with the only force in the world that could destroy the United States in a single day.
Posts: 4600 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

quote:
Nor should we. There are plenty of bigger world problems we could put a dent in, that don't involve messing with the only force in the world that could destroy the United States in a single day.
Well, at least you're honest about it. I am curious, though, what other world problems would you be in favor of 'putting a dent in' and when would you be in favor of doing so?

We're writing off every nation bordering the PRC and Russia, presumably, so what does that leave?

King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Surely it's possible to write off Georgia without writing off, say, Poland or, indeed, Norway? Norway does, as it happens, have a land and sea border with Russia - a strategically important one, in fact. And, in what may not be a complete coincidence with regards to timing, just signed an agreement with Russia finally compromising on the long-standing - 40 years! - issue of how the Barents Sea border should run.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

Is it possible? Certainly. That's just pragmatism. But the justification Destineer was using for Georgia applies to a lot of nations we aren't going to ignore, so I question its morality.
Destineer
Member # 821

quote:
Originally posted by Rakeesh:
quote:
Well, at least you're honest about it. I am curious, though, what other world problems would you be in favor of 'putting a dent in' and when would you be in favor of doing so?

We're writing off every nation bordering the PRC and Russia, presumably, so what does that leave?

Darfur and Africa in general, the usual list of trouble spots I guess.

If Georgia were some sort of democratic utopia (like Norway!), I'd feel differently.

Also, China is nowhere near the threat Russia could be. They have a no-first-use policy, and don't use nuclear weapons as political tools to anywhere near the extent that the US and Russia do.

Preventing any chance of nuclear war should be the highest priority for the US, as Reagan understood later in his term. It's far more important than helping fair-weather allies who only pretend to share our ideals.

Rakeesh
Member # 2001

Well, if you'd actually favor using military force in places like those - because that is absolutely what would be required - then I don't see an inconsistency and withdraw my objection on that basis. It's not an idea I hear supported much, though I wish it were.

As for nuclear war...preventing any chance is impossible. The weapons are there. The chance exists, and the safeguards are actually pretty damn crappy on the other side sometimes. How far do you bend over backwards in the name of preventing nuclear war? Not so far as to let Norway be invaded, apparently...but Georgia? I guess they're just not fortunate enough to have been separated long enough from the USSR to really have gotten going.

Destineer
Member # 821

quote:
Well, if you'd actually favor using military force in places like those - because that is absolutely what would be required - then I don't see an inconsistency and withdraw my objection on that basis.
If we had the troops to send, I'd definitely support it. Right now we're stretched pretty thin.
sinflower
Member # 12228

- posted      Profile for sinflower           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And that the whole Soviet threat post-WW2 on was trumped up by evil conservatives and McCarthy.
But this part is actually true. Okay, maybe not "evil conservatives" but certainly McCarthyism. Do you really think McCarthyism favored a rational, realistic worldview?
Posts: 241 | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

- posted      Profile for Dan_Frank   Email Dan_Frank         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by sinflower:
quote:
And that the whole Soviet threat post-WW2 on was trumped up by evil conservatives and McCarthy.
But this part is actually true. Okay, maybe not "evil conservatives" but certainly McCarthyism. Do you really think McCarthyism favored a rational, realistic worldview?
I don't like McCarthy's methods. I don't necessarily think his concerns were unjustified, however.

I especially don't think that the Soviet Union (or Communism in a larger sense) was somehow not really a very significant threat.

Posts: 3580 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Rakeesh:
How far do you bend over backwards in the name of preventing nuclear war? Not so far as to let Norway be invaded, apparently...but Georgia? I guess they're just not fortunate enough to have been separated long enough from the USSR to really have gotten going.

I must say I doubt Russia would have gone nuclear over Georgia; but really, can one not recognise that the US has interests like any other country, but no commitment to the most pure abstractions of justice? What interest required American intervention in the Georgian conflict, at a time when US troops were pretty thinly stretched anyway? Besides that, is it so obvious that Russia was in the wrong?
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

quote:
I think two things. One, I think McCarthyism went too far. Two, I think we won't be able to accurately gauge just how much too far they went for at least another decade or two. I think there's a reason such a crappy, broken political and economic system as the Soviet Union lasted four generations, and I don't think it owed to the sheer pluck and gumption of the Soviet government. I think a lot of the reason owed to espionage, and a calculated, long-term approach to espionage that we Americans seem to have a difficult time understanding. Then again the same can be said for foreign, economic, and domestic policy, and it can't be said only of Americans.

quote:
I must say I doubt Russia would have gone nuclear over Georgia; but really, can one not recognise that the US has interests like any other country, but no commitment to the most pure abstractions of justice? What interest required American intervention in the Georgian conflict, at a time when US troops were pretty thinly stretched anyway? Besides that, is it so obvious that Russia was in the wrong?
I doubt 'Russia' would have gone nuclear over Georgia anymore than I doubt the United States would over anything other than a nuclear explosion or missiles already in the air.

If one is approaching the situation purely in terms of realpolitik style thinking, I don't have a beef with that. But if we're going to, say, be against tyranny and injustice in Africa as Destineer (and I, for that matter) say we ought to be, where is our duty to be against it everywhere?

As for whether Russia was wrong, well, I think they were wrong but I recognize there's plenty of wriggle room for both sides. But I also think Europe has had quite enough of Russian influence over its neighbors too, which means that when in doubt, I lean away from Russia.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.